Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joe, then what is the point? Legitimate companies and individuals are already marking the items they make. Is it you don't like the way they mark them? You think that all marking(s) should be identical?

I had a member here contact me after seeing a photo of some of my smalls and tell me that THEY didn't like the way I was displaying some of MY items. This person somehow thought that their ideas were much more important than mine. That I should quit doing the things I was doing because THEY didn't approve.

We have had members here inform others that they SHOULD NOT paint a pump they way the owner wanted because the posting member felt it wouldn't look correct.

Pretty ballsy to tell others what they should do with THEIR items, don't you think.

To me that includes those that are making the marked reproductions available to everyone.

Can you imagine someone coming to you and saying "you rebuild a great computer, but we think you should do it differently", so do it our way from now on. I don't think that would go over so well, but I could be wrong.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have to agree with you Bob.....If you think you should mark your reproduction then mark it "reproduction 2010"......where does it end ??? what about restoring old pumps, signs, cans shouldn't these also be marked so somebody is not fooled years down the road??? how about decals,computers inside the pumps that are rebuilt with some new parts, are these exempt from marking them rebuilt????
Bob, you have it right Buyer Beware, take responsibility for your own actions & use websites like this to pass on info or get info that will help you in buying decisions....if you don't have the knowledge or don't know the history don't buy .....i have seen so many people get greedy when they think they are getting a "steal" on a sign only to find out they were outsmarted by somebody more greedy selling a repo........

jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
why yes, I have had lots of criticism for what I build or rebuild, and by no means does ADOPTED mean forced.
And yes, the point of the post is why NOT a symbol to reduce confusion.
I am not TELLING anyone to do anything, all I asked for was an opinion on a recognizable universal symbol for legitimate use to keep asthetic quality.
How this got to me TELLING people how to mark their signs, paint their pumps etc. I don't know.

Tell ya what, EVERYBODY just forget the whole d*mn thing, that should make EVERYBODY HAPPY.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #170701 Mon Jan 18 2010 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ya CAN'T please everyone all the time & some ya can't please once [just ask someone that is/has-been Married !].

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The big deal is having the month and year versus a small insignia. I do not like reproductions for many reasons and the "big" verbage is just one of them. Put me down in favor of some symbol which hopefully everyone whom is legitimate manufactures of repro items (signs, globe lenses etc.) will start using. John

Last edited by Fueluser; Mon Jan 18 2010 06:24 PM. Reason: added sentence
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Universal symbol is cool but dated would be fine with me! Issue is like others have said... people trying to screw people still won't use a symbol.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #170723 Mon Jan 18 2010 08:16 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I too am in favor of marking repros and at present the word "reproduction" or a date works fine. How long would it take for a universal symbol to become recognized as meaning the item is a reproduction?

ROD [Mich.]
jkyocom #170725 Mon Jan 18 2010 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: jkyocom
I am in no way refering to a mandated system.
I am referring to an adopted system for legitimate reproductions.
GET CRIMINALS OFF YOUR MIND!!!!!
This does not pertain to them.

Criminals/Reproductions almost the same as Peanut Butter/Jelly

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #170729 Mon Jan 18 2010 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
KZ1000, Looking at what you wrote I think you worded it different than you meant it?

A number of the members here make reproductions......

A question; Why do we need an "Universal Symbol" to signify that an item is a reproduction? Legitimate makers of these items are already marking them. Why try and throw another hurdle at them? When I read this thread I thought it was geared towards those that don't mark their items, I was informed, that I and others who came to this conclusion were wrong, it is geared towards those already marking their items. WHY???? If they are already marking their products, how can there be a problem?

I can't think of any industry that makes reproductions, who are subject to anything like a "Universal symbol". Furniture makers, clock makers, jewelers, After-market auto parts makers (one can be a member of SEMA, but it isn't mandatory), Car manufacturers ... etc. aren't required to carry one standard to signify that their items are reproductions.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved