Next Thread
Print Thread
#17070 Sun Feb 11 2007 06:12 AM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Need some more help with my Veeder Root. So far, I unbolted it to seperate the 2 halves and soaked them in Simple Green and scrubbed all the dirt off. I then saturated them with PB spray and after some effort, got the bottom part turning freely. I cant seem to get the top part to budge. I have gently rocked the gears back and forth a minute amount, but thats it.
It seems to be "locked". Maybe it needs to be reset to 000 before it will turn? For the life of me, now that its been out of the pump for a couple months, I cant seem to figure this out!
Any suggestions?

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#17071 Sun Feb 11 2007 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
its possible it could be lockedno im not the expert on this,but somehow you have to figure out which lever on the side would move when the handle lever was put in the down position.(the handle had to be in place to reset the wheels)then once ya got that,you have to move the same lever up(fill position)and the wheels should turn in one direction.this took me forever to figure out on my first veeder,and maybe one of these guys can explain it better than i.you will get it

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#17072 Sun Feb 11 2007 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Check to make sure all springs are intact.If you removed the head from the variator, you may have it out of "time".Any one of the shafts could be stuck, pinions between wheels could be locked....Someone before you could have tried to fix it before you.I have seen a lot of the "someone tried to fix" computers..

There is a spring on a "lever type" part on the right side of the linkage that is connected to either the blinder or pinion shaft, this spring is very important.And will not reset without it.

..Will the head turn,(not reset), off the variator????..if it turns, but will not reset you have it out of time.

..As far as I know,
All computers are actuated from the "gear side" the other side has a lock out mechanism, inside the pump, to keep you from resetting pump during delivrey....when on-off lever is in the on position.

First check All shafts,gears,pinons to make sure they are free...If not, you have to get them to turn....never force computer to turn.
There could also be sheared pins that will cause this...most of the time a sheared pin will be on the center gear on gear side, or on the piece on linkage side behind the drive coupling....looks like a circle with a round bottom notch in it, that the linkage
drops into after resetting.
It starts getting complicated if these steps do not work.
Sometimes the whole head will need to be split to fix.

Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#17073 Mon Feb 12 2007 08:47 AM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Thanks guys. When the garage warms up Ill try your suggestions. Joe, there is a big spring there, but when I took it out of the pump I remember one or two tiny springs falling off due to rust.
If I cant get it moving, Ill take some pics and post them so maybe you can point out the areas that could be causing the trouble.
John

#17074 Mon Feb 12 2007 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This might help.
There is also parts behind the linkage that will stick.

If this doesn't help start looking for a box big enough to ship it in....
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#17075 Mon Feb 12 2007 10:15 AM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Joe,
Thanks for the great pics. I see right away that I am missing the very important spring. Ill pick one up and try that first.
A picture speaks a thousand words, thanks alot.
John

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved