Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#171037 Wed Jan 20 2010 08:23 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Did anyone catch what they said the Skelly sign was worth? overall the show was a little more interesting than normal stuff. What do you think? will it last or is it a put on show??? Take care! tt

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They bought the Skelly for 150. enjoyed the show but dosen't seem realistic, like Pawn Stars

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I thought the show was interesting. Even if the prices are made up like Pawn Stars it's cool to see the places they go and the stuff that's still out there.

-Matt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C'mon--Do you really think they would air a show on national TV that doesn't have something to offer?? Of course they already know what they're going to find! They sure couldn't do a show around coming up empty handed!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll bet the Iowa collectors/pickers are Happy, that's where they were Pick'n !

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
They were pickin' all over the area. I have seen these guys several times at auctions before. I think that it is cool to get to see some on these places, but it is not realistic at all. We all know that it isn't that easy. This show makes it look like this stuff is just laying around everywhere and they are stumbling on to it all the time. People are not happy about it at all if you get out the boards on www.history.com. People are down right ***** to be honest, saying that these guys are scam artist and ripping people off. I think that it would be alot more interesting to send a "perspective buyer" such as myself along with them.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
hope these guys don't give away too many of our secrets.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since when do they give firm appraisals on items over the phone, especially sight unseen? Do they use a crystal ball or tea leaves? They really should be proud of themselves for robbing the old man of the saddle. Again, the appraisal was BS, the guy said here in Iowa might be worth $1500, in CA, CO or MT might be worth up to $5000. So somehow the saddle is now worth 5 grand, not $1500???? They must have missed him saying "it might be worth up to".

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I THINK THEY ARE DRIVING PRICES SKY HIGH FOR ANTIQUES, NOW EVERY BODY THAT HAS SOMETHING OLD THEY WILL THINK ITS WORTH A SMALL FORTUNE......

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
It is sad but 75% of people that have something think it's worth a fortune without this.

O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Do you think that Skelly sign show up at auction it will bring more just because they showed it on the show??? I guess time will tell......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I personally hate shows like this. Like dodgeman said, they do nothing but drive up prices and lead the general public to believe that everything old is worth a fortune. Just like Barrett Jackson with old cars... Over Christmas, I saw a commercial for the picker show, then went antiquing. I overheard a lady in the antique mall talking about wanting to become a picker. I knew she must have just watched that show. Won't it be fun at auctions with a bunch of idiots running around bidding ridiculous prices on everything we want, thinking that they're all pickers...?

Wes

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I watched the show, didn't really care for it.

But....to be honest and objective...I believe he let the old man with the saddle name his price. And...if what they were saying is true, they supposedly let the seller throw out the price first most times. If that's the case you can't accuse them of ripping somebody off. Now, are they opportunists?? Absolutely.

My primary thought was they are going to make it harder for everyone who pulls into a farmyard looking for pumps and signs.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I believe the prices and pickers went up after ebay started, they see what items bring and now everybody is there bidding on gas and oil items. I used to be able to buy around me with not to much competition not any more, and for the show didn't see it but it's on TV and how many times did they shoot it to make it look real just like pawn stars real believable!!!!!!!NOT

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now when you try to buy a pump or sign the folks will be ready for their close up shot for the camera......And looking for auction prices.
NOT GOOD for the hobby.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved