Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I was kind of excited about the show when I seen the previews. About half way through the first episode I felt it was kind of a "dud" of a show, not as interesting as I thought it could be. My brother delivers fuel and oils for a local jobber, and he does in fact get on/in properties like those shown. Old farmers with 60 years of accumulation sitting all around. He does find pumps and other interesting items but 99% of the time they aren't for sale. I think the mentality of most people already is that everything is worth a fortune. (How long HAS Antiques Road Show been on...?) I know it pains a lot of us to see this stuff succumbing to the elements, with the owners not giving two hoots about it. I guess we'll all have to wait for the auction and hope there aren't too many "professional pickers" there!! wink

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...the hosts are irritating geeks...the show is dreadful...no redeeming qualities whatsoever...and the History Channel has evidently gone to pot...period...

...any of us who have driven around trying to add to our collections is familiar with the natural suspicion people have when it comes to total strangers knocking on their door out-of-the-blue, asking to root around through their personal property, making lowball offers to buy stuff...

...now - add to that some city slackers sticking cameras and boom mics into their faces as well, and in real life this show would be nothing but a montage of slammed doors and people being asked to leave the property at the business end of a shotgun...come to think of it, it would be infinitely more entertaining than this 'geared-to-the-lowest-common-denominator' garbage...

...this show is completely staged and makes professional wrestling look highbrow by comparison...I won't be watching, but if I hear in the news that someone pulled a shotgun on these clowns, I'll be laughing like hell...

"We had a deal at $1500 and you had to go talk to your family"...that would have been enough for a fat lip (at the very least) where I come from...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In an effort to attract viewers, the televsion industry came up with what they call "reality" shows, which in fact are in most cases, including this one, far from it. They should change the term to "fantasy" shows.

Dave
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just to play devil's advocate here, I live in rural farm country and have seen it several times where a slick talking guy will come in and almost steal extremely valuable items from elderly people who have no clue what they have, and the money would of really made a difference in their lives. Why do the city people come out here and expect to buy stuff off the dumb old farmer for next to nothing. Like that saddle deal, Those guy's aren't stupid. if they do that for a living they know what stuff is worth. It was obvious that the guy shouldn't of been pricing stuff it was two against one the old guy needed someone in his corner. I realize it is just a made-up show but that kind of stuff happens all the time. My Dad is 84 and sharp for his age but can be worn down, we have no idea how long those guys worked him over to name a price on it. I think a little knowledge on value is great,and if that means people will have to pay realistic prices for items well that's too bad.

Jay Leeper
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: chadrock00
They were pickin' all over the area. I have seen these guys several times at auctions before. I think that it is cool to get to see some on these places, but it is not realistic at all. We all know that it isn't that easy. This show makes it look like this stuff is just laying around everywhere and they are stumbling on to it all the time. People are not happy about it at all if you get out the boards on www.history.com. People are down right ***** to be honest, saying that these guys are scam artist and ripping people off. I think that it would be alot more interesting to send a "perspective buyer" such as myself along with them.

I agree 100% there Chad smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i can t believe it took you guys this long to start a thread on the show!!!

if they got such a great deal on the the phillip morris marquee, and the guy seemed willeng to sell, then why stop at the the marquee. he had plenty of other interesting things laying around?????

after paying only $5 for the cast iron toy stove.....the slender cat laughed and grinned at the seller when the opportunity arose. essentially telling america not to trust his face.

the show was entertaining and i will be watching future episodes. it fun to see what is in america's backyards. its much better than watching "desperate housewives" hahahahha

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
S
S
"I won't be watching, but if I hear in the news that someone pulled a shotgun on these clowns, I'll be laughing like hell..."

I saw a commercial for an upcomming episode last night, and someone does point a gun on them at the front door!
But it was probably staged, like the rest of the show...

O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Well, I have mixed feelings about the show. one the "stuff" is interesting, pickers aren't although the babe back at the shop is cool. Letting the seller set the price is good, working them to set a price that hit's home. BTW I'm on a farm with "stuff" piled up, was in the antiques business with one of the largest ones in the area, 9/11 and 3$ gas cut off customers. I've been to so many auctions that we had our own number at many of them. Some stuff I started collecting was cheap, auctioneers saved the stuff for me cause I would give them a few dollars for stuff they couldn't get bids on. 20 years ago you could buy at auction, now you get more for many things at auction.
Then there are those city slickers... well there is a big nosed car pimp that you can see on Barrett-Jackson and other major car auctions that has seen the serious end of my rifle.
Probably the things that bothers me the most was for 20 yrs a fellow farmer down the road aways had a 1919 Henderson, he and i would talk every time we see each other, it was his baby, he told me and his wife when I die this guy will give you a good price and he will take care of it. Well when he passed, there was an auction, no Henderson, rumors have it the lawyers got it. still steamed about that.
ok which one of the pickers goes to "rehab" 1st......if it's hollywood it will happen.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've been watching this thread because I have some really strong feelings on this. I agree with Jay Leeper.Jay,by no means intending to interpret you thoughts,but here are mine.I think that when one intentionally deceives someone about the true worth of an item to make a "score" it is bad for the hobby and will result in more "not for sale" responses because neighbors really do talk to one another.

By the way,I've told more than one person who quoted me a price,"it's worth more than that"and paid more than the asked for price.And,you know what?When they found more stuff,I was invited back to look at it.

Just my thoughts and experience from at least trying to be reasonable when dealing with people.Nothing more.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
At least on Pawn Stars they call in an "expert" to tell the customer what it's worth. Then chisle the poor fool down. I don't care for either show as I believe they don't help the collecting community.

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Entertainment TV, NOT reality TV

O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
just a silly thought, if these antiquing shows can in a few shows create new experts, how many killers have all these csi/murder/cop shows created?????
good thing about pip (picture in picture)you only get one set of audio.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
i haven't watched the show and probably won't. Let me know if an 80 plus year old farmer's daughter in a bikini gets HOSED out of papa's old fry mae west and farmall f-20 on steel and i'll take a look;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Entertainment TV, NOT reality TV

Dick nailed it. It's entertainment. If a person does not find it entertaining......don't watch. I think the Pawn Stars and American Picker programing has been taken way to literal by several posters.

Personally, I find both programs entertaining. They deal with some subject matter that I find interesting. I also find the RM and Barrett Jackson telecast entertaing but don't view the pricing literaly or as an absolute.

Last edited by okoil1; Thu Jan 21 2010 05:05 PM.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Entertainment...... Exactly!!!!! Both shows are entertaining, There isn't much on tv these days and I look forward to new episodes. They still won't top my favorite, "History Detectives"!!!!!!!

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved