Next Thread
Print Thread
#171249 Fri Jan 22 2010 10:35 AM
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
This seller sells alot of signs that are reproduction WITHOUT saying so....So I figured this to be repo also!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Clipper-Gasoline-Avi...=item1c0fa36f45
The holes seem small for a larger sign?

What do you guys think?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MY QUESTION IS: WOULD A PORCELAIN SIGN HAVE ALL THOSE RANDOM RUST SPOTS ON THE BACK? I THOUGHT IT WAS A PAINTED SIGN UNTIL I READ THE PORCELAIN DETAIL IN THE DESCRIPTION. AT THAT SIZE IT COULD BE REAL, BUT I HAVE MY DOUBTS ABOUT THE PORCELAIN. WOULDN'T TOUCH IT FOR THAT KIND OF $$$ UNLESS I COULD FEEL/TOUCH IT AND SEE IT!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
By that price he thinks its real, he has original mixed with repo's which I believe the latter on this piece.
The back of the sign looks like one of those Buenos aires models.

RANDY
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here is a picture of an original.  It's not my sign so I don't know the size.  Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The few original Clipper signs I have seen were all double sided.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
M
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
M
I believe it is a repo. How does a sign retain such great color and gloss on one side but has managed to get crusty on another side? He might have better luck tossing it in an old barn and calling those guys from "american pickers" ? JMO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: mattthegasman
I believe it is a repo. How does a sign retain such great color and gloss on one side but has managed to get crusty on another side? He might have better luck tossing it in an old barn and calling those guys from "american pickers" ? JMO

Now THAT is Funny, sad thing is when somebody does have a repro, We will be told, "It's real, I saw it on American Pickers"

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
First off, this is a reproduction sign. Many signs came to California from this seller 2 years ago (Washatch, Wolfshead & Conoco). Many of us were caught in this scam and they all came from the same guy who stated "they came out of a very old North Carolina collection". Needless to say none of us talk or deal with this individual. His statement to me was "buyer beware" when I asked for my money back.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: hotcidr
First off, this is a reproduction sign. Many signs came to California from this seller 2 years ago (Washatch, Wolfshead & Conoco). Many of us were caught in this scam and they all came from the same guy who stated "they came out of a very old North Carolina collection". Needless to say none of us talk or deal with this individual. His statement to me was "buyer beware" when I asked for my money back.

And now you know why the seller says "Good Luck" at the end of his sign description !

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I would also say it is a repop. Like Doc stated about the back side being rusty & the front in nice shape. When in doubt Tom stay away smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It looks repro to me too. It has no grommets in the holes. I couldn't tell about the original that was posted whether it had grommets or not. Most of the old signs did have grommets. Also, the back of the sign in question having the spots on the back, as earlier mentioned, would make me think also as it being the Buenos Aires repops that advertologist mentioned.

I'd STEER CLEAR!!!!

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
I just realized I bought a bardahl from him on 12-6-09....
So I left him some Negative feedback so everyone would know what he is up to AND the type of person they are dealing with!!!
He is selling both old and new aged signs and really decieving people...Hopefully they will check his feedback first!
If everyone gave these BAD sellers several negatives then maybe the buyers and Ebay might get the hint???

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
A original is 36 x 60
Wendell

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved