Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I just bought several 13 1/2 inch globe lenses which go in a Gill body. So my dilemma is, do I put these into a plastic body which has the tabs ground down or a metal body until I can afford a couple of Gill bodies. Even with these choices, repro metal bodies are, for me, pricey but still about 1/3 the price of an original Hull body. Please give me pros and cons. I know from this board that sometimes the lenses are to thick and might get broken if trying to put into a plastic body so how well do these lenses typically fit into the repro metal bodies? Is there any resale in repro metal bodies (i.e. I really can not think of any company which used metal 13 1/2 bodies - but then I'm not really a globe guy). Where as plastic bodies do have some resale only because they are cheap and quite reusable. (since a metal body is painted and you limit resale if its not the needed color etc.) Thanks for any input. I know with my budget and preference to buy more items rather than spend money on reproduction bodies what I really should do is make a kitty which I keep slowly adding to until I have enough money for a Hull body and just wait it out. LOL LOL John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From experience, they won't fit very well in a plastic body. Use the metal one till you can pony up the $400 you'll need to get a good gill body.Don't want to damage those lenses, ya know!
Also a Hull body will not work for Gill lenses.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Yep yep...mistyped .... Need Gill bodies as I know Hull won't work... Told you I wasn't a globe person and I always get those two names mixed up. LOL LOL sorry. John

Last edited by Fueluser; Sun Jan 24 2010 10:22 AM.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Metal bodies only work well for some gill lenses. Many lenses are on l3 1/4 so will not fit in metal body well.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
George is right! Most of thos gill lenses were 13 1/4 and don't want to fit well enough into a metal body. Check your lenses and see if they are 13 1/2 and if they are, you're set! If not, you're back to square one.

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Hey John,
I think you may be the closest Oldgasser to me. Do you run across stuff your way? Pretty much picked clean around here. Also, know of and meets in your area?
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
We have a show the first weekend in June in Bouckville NY. Free food and tee shirts,pretty good turn out. Email me your contact info and I will see you get a flyer when they go out. Goes for anybody,just email me your address and I will get you all the info.Thanks,John

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
John, I've always wondered where you are located in Vermont as I travel all over the place searching. I won't tell you how much stuff I have gotten out of Vermont in the "old" days, and still do. I put on tons of miles on my car in those searches. LOL My family is originally from Newport VT. We do need to get in touch with each other.

John's show is a really great show if you can get to it. Probably the closest shows to me is the Northeast Gas Bash in CT in February, Metro Petro Show in March and Johns show in Syracuse, and almost forgot the MA show in September.

This is not just directed to you but anyone... if you have a particular item your searching for or brand (obviously eastern brands) let me know and if it is out of my league Ill pass on the information to you. I do pass on a lot of items out of my limited budget price range LOL LOL.

The limited doubles I do find that, a) I can afford to buy for resale and b) I want to part with are on my website johnsgasstation.com which I just added more items (gosh is there anything other than Texaco out here) as I just added the plastic quart and Motor Detergent. LOL LOL I don't know about anyone else but the items I find come in threes. For example, if I find one Esso item the next two items I find will be Esso etc. Never fails. The last items have pretty much been Texaco items.

Sorry for rambling... John

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Not to hijack your thread John, but I'm not a globe guy either, could someone post a picture of a hull body and a gill body so I can see the difference? thanks

Barry
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't have pictures but a gill body is hollow in the center and a Hull body is the same way! The 2 are different, in that the gill holds the lenses with a ring type band around the outer edge, while the Hull body holds the lenses with the 2 bolts at 3 oclock and 9 oclock, the same as a regular glass body would. Do you have Scott Benjamins globe book? It shows and explains the differences in there.

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Kevin, No I don't have that book, looks like another one to put on my "wants" list.

Barry

Barry

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved