Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
i did not see the show, are these guys collectors, or do they just sell the stuff?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
TV and "Reality TV" is scraping the barrel for anything to put on for us to watch. The History channel didn't do this, some producer came to them and told them he had an idea such as the Pawn Stars (I haven't seen this new show). He would have a pawn shop buy all kinds of strange stuff from people.

Isn't is a coninsistance that:

The camera man is there when a guy want to sell them an old 1960s Lincoln or a hot air baloon." And when did anyone ever pawn an old car?

That the host seems to know everything about anything, the exact year, etc.?

As or experts, why does it seem they know everything also?

Everyone one on this show is an actor (and I'm sure there is no shortage of actors in Las Vegas) and everything is staged, experts included.

I sometime watch it to see if Rick from Rick's Restoration can change a 1957 Chevy into a Model T Ford.

Really fault the History Channel for airing this trash, but then every channel is airing the same thing.

I don't agree with DB , it is not even entertaining.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Well, "prawn stars" (a little pun intended) I had to see a repeat of the Indian motorcycle episode. Well amermechie indians just went up, only 20 around????? they paid $1500 for parts bike, Rick restores it for 3500/4500$ (new engine for a grand) I'm glad I'm not into those type of bikes or it would be impossible to restore one for fair money. I'll just stick to my dispatch tows, power plus, and jr scout racer. Well a 100 years from now what is our era going to look like????? (a bunch of lousy liars)

F
F
Don't make fun of "Pawn Stars", I think it is a great show and "Chumlee" is my hero!! (just kidding). I sure like that purple "Ford" pickup the "Old Man" always stands in front of when he gives his opinion on a given subject.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen & talked to this Mike Wolf (from Iowa} picking at swap meets & seen him one time at Hershey & i'm sure it was his last,as he was way out of his league............ he ain't no picker, he's a wanabee movie star....kind of a joke really but i guess his persistance has paid off.....I know "real pickers" & these guys are good......Guys like Dave Stark (Mich.), Kevin Rawley (Iowa}etc.etc. know more about general antiques, collectibles than this Mike wolf will ever know & his partner knows even less......Hes at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to good pickers...he couldn't or wouldn't have enough sense to buy a $1000 sign that is worth $5000......he's more like a junk dealer who thinks he's shabby chic...............

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Havent seen Pickers yet, but I do watch Pawn Stars cause I love seeing old stuff. Its obvious its staged, I just like seeing unusual collectables.
Some have commented on the "city slickers" taking advantage of country people. I have lived my whole life (so far) in the country and it has been my experience that outsiders dont get the time of day. Its always some local guy that preys on the old ladies with the antiques. Every town I have lived in has had one SOB like that.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Have watched all these shows, Just like the antique road show all the finds and sales are set up . I have been to the antique road show and all the things you see apraised on tv have been reviewed and set up in advance so the people on the show look smart. All these shows have hurt collectables every coke sign is said to be rare and you can not buy anything at a fair price.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
P
P
I just saw the show this weekend for the first time, I have met these guys about 4 years ago, bought a coke machine off of them. they told me about this show they where trying to get , and well looks like it happened. I read all the remarks on the History Channel board and found it interestingthat most of those folks reffered to it as "ripping off" the old man, when in fact, he sure looked pretty happy to get some good $$$ for Junk that he was just letting rot away in his barn?
I'll watch again i'm sure, but just like most stuff on tv.. don't take it too seriously.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

my wife and i thought these guys were a tad bit on the...... "fruity side" and where are they coming up with there prices?we would crack up when it would show what the item was picked for,and what the profit was? i wanna know what guide there using on some of this random stuff?i caught the new show last night"01/25", and got a glimpse of a old pump in the background at that warehouse!did anybody else see that pump?

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Saw the show for the first time last night, it was not must see tv. I liked seeing the old junk piles and what people have stashed, but the guys acting like experts are idiots. The only thing they bought that was worth a flip was the Vespa and the Coke Sign. Most everything else they discovered could be found in any flea market in the country for $5 or less.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I agree with the above feedback, It is fun to see the stuff out there.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As this thread has developed,I finally sat through a whole program.I agree that it is fun to look at all the other stuff that people have collected (accumulated?)over the years.

Half of my shop and everything behind it would fit into the category of "lets look at that".I was going to clean it all up and present a more organized display.Now,I may just leave it for general interest.Old lawnmowres powered by a Craftsman gasoline engine don't come up everyday.That sort of thing.

O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Well the one guy sure went "ape" over the vespa.... I got to watch it uninterrupted and well good editing can do wonders. The thing that they repeat is how they got great deals picked 5$ worth 75$ that sure makes them look like crooks, that person would be the production editor or producer. Do you think that person may not be the biggest fan of these guys??? or is that the best the editor can make out of these guys??? I do like seeing the stuff in the sheds, but only to show the vespa when there are Jags there too..... Have any of you thought about taking video of your collection, maybe put 10-20 collections on one Dvd or Vhs tape for some of you (grin) might be better than anything else on the tube!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I didn't see any Wasp flying around when the old man pulled the nest out of Vespa w/ bare hand ! Did you ?

O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
the pickers said they were bees! sure looked like wasp nest to me

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved