Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
I have a good story..

I got a one gallon Canadian Tire Oil can at a farm. It was painted orange as were some other cans..

WD-40- didnt work
Gasoline- Didnt work

Brake Fluid- took the paint off, but never touched the original oil can paint. Nice can, no scratches. I was amazed.
But I wouldnt use it too often, it will take most oil cans and especially tobacco cans paint off..

Last edited by Cuillerier; Fri Jan 15 2010 08:20 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
C
Do you guys think WD-40 is pretty good to clean oil cans?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WD-40 IS GREAT FOR CLEANING OILY DIRT BUILD UP ON OIL CANS. BUT GO EASY.

I REMEMBER SAYING EARLIER IN THIS THREAD THAT I USED LACQUER THINNER ONCE ON A MOBILGAS OUTBOARD OIL CAN AND TO MY SURPRISE IT TOOK OFF THE CRUDD AND IT DIDN'T HARM THE PAINT AT ALL. THOUGHT IT WAS WEIRD AND QUITE RANDOM SINCE YOU SHOULD NEVER USE LACQUER THINNER ON ANY CANS AS FAR AS I KNOW.

BRAKE FLUID HUH? STRANGE...GOT ANY BEFORE AND AFTER PICS?

Last edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE; Sat Jan 16 2010 07:15 AM.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
A Magic Eraser works good too. But sample it first on the back of the can. Also if you rub too much it can also take the paint off.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
P
P
i have used a good type of dish soap for any can covered with oil or grease residue. you usually have to use a good amount, and scrub the can with a wet rag.

C
C
Yeah, you have to be careful with anything you try. I've had gasoline remove paint, and even Wd-40 on tobacco tins.
I carefull try to clean Composite cans, but it can be tricky. I use the wd-40 gently on them. Depends what it is. Sometimes just water if its dirt.
As for the brake fluid, you have to be careful. It was a last resort thing. Also i did a old Canada Dry cooler this way.
I use to help with rust, a think called evaporust, sometimes it helps, other times it does nothing.

Not a can cleaning here, But i had a sunoco antifreeze plastic bottle, and pealing the tape someone had put on was going to take the ink off, so i soaked it in WD40, and it worked like a charm.

Take care Guys!

C
C
BTW, if i use brake fluid again, ill keep pictures.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Goop hand cleaner works quite well for me. Rub on easy with soft cloth. Wipe dry with a clean rag. Good on metal and composite cans both. Small soft toothbrush for bottom, top and seams. Leaves them shining like a brass button in a bulldogs ask!

PatL #170390 Sun Jan 17 2010 07:52 AM
F
F
I use a product put out by "Johnson Wax" and it is called "Spitfire" power cleaner. It is already mixed (you can dilute it if necessary) and it does a great job on signs (especially porcelain) and cans. "Spitfire" is not available at your local Walmart, you have to pick it up at a janitorial supply house.It comes in a red & white spray bottle.
I have used mineral spirits too, you need to be careful and use it first on a test area to be certain it doesn't take the paint off.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JOSBORN,
"Leaves them shining like a brass button in a bulldogs ask!"
I was wondering why Ryan Underthun's Bulldogs are Bowl legged !
ROTF,LMAO

W
W
I am a little late jumping in on this post, but no one has mentioned this one yet..

I bought a parts washer a few years ago at a swap meet, filled it up with solvent (available at most parts stores)not the water base type, and have cleaned countless cans in it, works very well.
For some of the real sticky cans, I have soaked a red rag with solvent and let it sit for several days on the can to loosen up the old oil or grease.
It is not as Hot as brake clean or lacquer thinner, so you can let it soak in and loosen up the old oil and grease, especially on the inside.
Be careful with real early 1/2 gallon and gallon cans, or anything with weathered or loose paint, but I think this applies to any of the cleaning techniques.

WANTED
Washington Chief, Oregon Chief, Idaho Chief, Montana Chief, Wasatch, Sunset, Veltex, Chevrolet
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved