Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17204 Sat Aug 28 2004 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Reading the post about the Scarab car, and Bob's "Dyno" post, made me realize that there were several companies like "Associated" that used Avaition or some reference to airplanes in their advertising.
I can remember pulling into Phillips 66 and telling them to fill it with "Flite Fuel" because I just knew I'd go faster.
I also remember during my street racing days, (uh, honest officer, I was just an observer) that some of the guys would drive to the local airport, and fill their tanks with real avaition fuel. They needed, or thought they needed the extra octaine. Other than the one's I've mentioned, what other companies use avaition advertising? What do you guys remember about about those earlier days?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#17205 Sat Aug 28 2004 05:47 PM
B
B
I recently purchased a NOS 66 Flite Fuel globe. Any ideas as to when they were in use? Thanks in advance!

#17206 Sun Aug 29 2004 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doc,
I'm not OLD enough to remember any other than Flite Fuel at Phillips 66 stations.

Lots of companies sold "aviation" gasoline (which wasn't really meant for airplanes).
Shell had Aviation 400 Dry, Standard had Stanolind, I've seen a picture of an "Aviation Brand" globe that matches your decal, Sinclair, Jenney, Clipper, Ace High, Tydol, Kanotex, Sky-Trak,
Pittman, and many others sold "aviation" gasoline.

Bob,
Phillips used the shield shaped globes from 1953-59. How about posting a picture of it in this months Globe Of The Month? We're featuring globes with shield logos.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#17207 Sun Aug 29 2004 07:44 PM
B
B
Thanks for the info. I'll get a picture and post it ASAP.

#17208 Mon Aug 30 2004 10:26 AM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
One of (if not "the") first would have been Texaco Sky Chief, which was introduced in 1938. Sky Chief replaced FIRE-CHIEF Ethyl.

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved