#172731 Sun Jan 31 2010 09:25 AM
J
Jerry Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Anybody watching? Signs, and pumps are still going pretty high

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jerry #172757 Sun Jan 31 2010 11:54 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
They always do but does any ownership ever change hands?

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shame guys consign stuff and then bid on it or have a friend bid and "buy it back" or "shill it". I am sure there was plenty of that going on.
Not say it happens a lot but it does happen.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jerry #172794 Sun Jan 31 2010 03:12 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm glad you guys pointed that out.I think the saying is "you had better there to protect it".I think it goes on more than one might think,particularly with high dollar stuff.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
It is a shame that one has to think twice about auctions on every level. Looking at sending some of mine to one and that is the worry, either have someone bid or sell low. It just seems wrong.

Craig
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
As long as the consignor is going to have to pay the applicable premium, I don't have a huge problem with it, OCCASIONALLY. A lot of depends on the consignment structure....if it's a big estate or collection and one guy owns it all, it's probably not going to go on very often, simply because his volume of items will allow him to average out over the entire group of lots. On the other hand, if you've got a bunch of guys that are putting up 10-20 items, you better bet most aren't going to let a $10,000 globe go for $5,000, even if it costs them $500 to the auctioneer & $500 for buyer's premium. Whether you agree with that or not, rest assured it goes on at 100% of every "produced", high-profile auction whether it's done through the internet, a buddy in the crowd, over the phone, or as an "absentee" bid.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW, with that said thank god you are out of the auction business, Any auctioneer that allows that ought to lose their license, I do believe there are laws, legal or ethical, that covers that.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
WOW, with that said thank god you are out of the auction business, Any auctioneer that allows that ought to lose their license, I do believe there are laws, legal or ethical, that covers that.

Good Luck ever trying to Prove it. It's just part of the Game.....

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Esse's Garage

Yes, but there are Reputable Auctioneers that will not allow it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Esse's Garage

Yes, but there are Reputable Auctioneers that will not allow it.

They would never know if you had a buddy or brother in-law there as a Bidder.....

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
No KZ100 there are reputable auctioneers that wish it didn't happen, that do what they can to keep it to a minimum, but cannot do one single solitary thing to stop it. All anybody has to do, is have a friend buy the merchandise. Then, the consignor and his buddy settle up after the auction is over. If you believe that there's an auctioneer out there that can stop that from happening, tell Santa & the Tooth Fairy hello for me the next time you see them.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Also, I'll say it again, as long as that consignor is having to pay just like everybody else, than where's the legal rub??? Now, recognize that I said legal, as far as ethically, sure it can get shady if you don't be vigilant about it as an auctioneer or producer.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know I wouldn't trust your auction company now, What you are saying is you have no problem with it as long as you get their buyers premium and sellers commission, basically screwing the honest guy that is at your auction trying to bid on an item.

Jason, my issue is not that it could happen behind the scenes, but the Auctioneers know who consigns and knows if that person is bidding on his own item, That is just Wrong!

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S

KZ100, with all due respect, you know nothing about me or what I went through trying to produce a good auction. Anybody that's ever played in the auction game on the top-end can attest, guys tend to crack and do stupid things when you are dealing with their money. I've literally had consignors puking in the bathrooms or so drunk they couldn't stand up because they were so freaked out.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I know I wouldn't trust your auction company now, What you are saying is you have no problem with it as long as you get their buyers premium and sellers commission, basically screwing the honest guy that is at your auction trying to bid on an item.

Jason, my issue is not that it could happen behind the scenes, but the Auctioneers know who consigns and knows if that person is bidding on his own item, That is just Wrong!

That's not what I said at all. Go back & read. I said I don't have a HUGE problem with it, OCCASIONALLY. I'd like to see you put a $20,000 globe in an auction, then I'd like to see your face when it stalled out at around $9500. For a $1900 hicky, you can take it back home. Some guys man up, and chalk it up to the fact they gambled & lost. Some guys have their buddy buy it back for them. Also, auctioneers know who consigns yes, but unless it's the consignor himself CLEARLY bidding CONSISTENTLY on their own items, things are happening so fast, you really don't know who's buying or bidding on what.

Last edited by Seth Robbins; Sun Jan 31 2010 08:58 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved