Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Capt Quirk

This country was founded by people who shouted "Buck the system"! wink

I agree..that's why I said it's the American spirit to dream and accomplish. I genuinely wish you success.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
OP Offline
C
Getting the ethanol produced and setting up a small working gas station would be enough to make me happy, whether or not I go commercial. If I could actually get enough people locally to buy from me, save them a little green, and make the world a little better, that would be excellent. Sticking it to the oil people is a bonus smile

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome Captain,

Worthy undertaking.There is some really good advice up there.One brand name that may be long gone is TANKAR.Also,their storage tanks may have been above ground if you can resolve that issue.My reference library is at the shop,so I'm just guessing.Sone of the other guys may altrady know what became of them.

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you Old Iron, I'll start looking up Tankar. On a side note, how is the seasonal weather out in New Mexico? If we win the HGTV Dream Home, it is in N.M., and we might have to think about relocating smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome Captain,
"""we discovered how relatively simple it is to make Ethanol,""

can you explain/describe the above satement a bit, wondering why everyone doesn't do it? thx

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
C
OP Offline
C
Minuteman, it is exactly the same as running a still for moonshine. The only differences are, you first have to apply to the ATF with exact still details, and follow their regulated guidelines. Once the alcohol is distilled, you simply need to add either a chemical agent or 2 gallons of gas per 55 gallons, rendering it non consumable by humans. The reason most folk don't do it, is that it is a lot of hoops to jump through, and a bit of work. Not exactly rocket science though, and possible for most folk to do themselves.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you would like to know more about gas pumps I would suggest you order a copy of my "Gas Pump Identification (and value) Book." It identifies over 1900 gas pumps with their current value. The book can be ordered right here on this website by clicking on the "BOOKSTORE" at the top of the page. Any profit from the sale of the book helps support this website.

In the meantime, I have probably pictured over 1000 gas pumps on my website: www.petrocollect.com which is the largest website devoted to this hobby (over 5000 images).
Go to the Gas Pump literature section.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I am by far not an expert, but I can tell you what I have learned by working at a large corn refinery and actually over seeing the entire process. We waste nothing, #1. Everything gets used on a piece of corn in our plant, which stretches roughly 1.5 miles along the Mississippi. If you were just making ethanol, you would have a massive amount of waste product. You will have to have a process to mill, steep, seperate, mature(chemicals), evaporate, and mix/holding. Our company quit making ethanol several years ago due to lost revenue. I can tell you that your insurance and license fees would outweight the cost that you might save on this. Also that you would have to be in compliance with the clean air act on your discharge from making it and what it produces when it gets used. Yes, anyone can do this on thier stovetop, more or less. Basically that is/was how moonshine was invented. The processes are mostly all the same except for the few final steps. The down side to that is it would take you a week to make enough gas for a couple days.

Last edited by chadrock00; Thu Feb 04 2010 11:36 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here in my area, a few Ethanol plants were proposed 5 or so years ago. Only one got off the "drawing board", because they couldn't get the proper permits, in a timely manner. The one that did get started, was finished this last spring. The corporation that was going to operate it, went under before it was finished. So the "plant" was sold to cover debts. No permits had been issued to manufacture any product. I'm sure once you do more research on you proposal you will find the same thing. Making enough for yourself, no real problems.... Selling product to the public, real BIG problems, with FEDS, STATE, LOCAL Governments and YOUR neighbors. As you will need to rezone part of your "homestead" to manufacturing. If you do decide to go ahead, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It would be up to the fire marshall in your state/county if sight glasses would be approved, maybe have to be weights and measures approved too.
Faces have to show price, older ones only go as far as 99.9/10 and would need the extra price window.....and most computers that would be legal would be 4 wheel bank instead of 3.
Then there might be mandatory leak detection....a containment barrier for the tank, monitering wells, and all kinds of stuff I am not aware of since I have not been in the service field for yrs.
Above ground tanks would not require all that cr*p. Then the air eliminator would not need to be used either.

This pump has a newer type computer in it and uses a 2 part face system.
A smaller face behind the big white surround, this would be a way to overcome the face delima for a pump that would have taken a crankback. You would have to have a 4 price wheel face plate though.

A #300 Tokheim could be less costly to set up...it uses bottom mounts for the computer too.
You will pay near $500.00+ for a NEW 9.99 9/10 computer from Veeder Root....I have seen them on ebay...that is WITHOUT the electronic reset, pulsers for your readout equipment, ect.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
C
OP Offline
C
jkyocom, I must have had a brainfart, the four digit counter never even occurred to me... duh!

Bob, I don't have any neighbors full time, just occasional hunters during Deer Season for at least a mile in any direction. I don't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I'm sure we would still need to have a licensed facility for the production from the ATF, whether we went commercial or not. Trimming an acre of our current 25 wouldn't be much at all, and we would do that anyways.

If it looks like it might work out, I'll go commercial. But originally, this started as just a cool idea to have our own gas station and garage. Going commercial is just hypothetically expanding on that idea.

Chadrock, I'd really be interested in what you did with the rest of the corn, that has been on my mind too. Most of the stalk would be mulched into a compost pile, and maybe used in a methane digester. But what about the cob? I've heard they burn pretty good, and you can make pipes from them... but that is all I can come up with.

Jack, I'm certainly going to try and look through your book, but I am by no means a collector of Petroliana. I'm afraid your book my change that, and I don't think I could afford to have this as a hobby wink

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Somehow I think I knew I should have gone to the books before mentioning a company name.Oh well,maybe next time.

From what I can find out TANKAR stopped operating gas stations in the late 70's but may well be still in business involved in other business ventures under the same name.CAREFUL THERE!

The most useful reference book I can recommend is GUIDE TO GASOLINE LOGOS by Wayne and Scott.That's a good starting point from which to do further research.

I'm no lawyer.My recommendation is to consult with a real one before you use any of those real logos.

As to NM weather,it depends on where you are.NM ranges from low desert to above timberline.Here in ABQ I would just say it's moderate;enough seasonal change to make it interesting without fearing the heat of summer or dreading the cold of winter.I'll take that.LOL.

C
OP Offline
C
LOL! Silly me, I grew up in Florida, and moved to south central Ga thinking it wouldn't be much different. This has been the coldest winter they've had in years. I haven't been able to wear my Christmas shorts and flip flops smile

Back on topic... You did no wrong mentioning TANKAR, I did a simple search, and could only find mention of them in a few court cases back in the 40's. Most other companies I can at least find where they joined with so-and-so company, or are still active. Keep tossing them out there!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard Capt. I believe SOUTHFLORIDAGAS completely overhauled an old pump to pump regular gas. Can't find the post when I searched for it but I remember reading about it. Sounded like a cool idea. Good luck.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well, when in Rome .......I am closer to Rome than I am Athens.....LOL
This is GA call it "ETH&ALL" ...LOL
you know like all those other words we have like
"theysa" "momen'em" "fixenta" "guzzinta"
You might have to spell it "ETH-N-ALL"....... so us can redit

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net