Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This sign, to me, looks to be another one of those fakes from Indiana, although it is listed in Ohio. It has no grommets in the holes and the red is faded as is stated in the seller's description. What do you think?...Dale

Last edited by Dale Stephens; Thu Feb 04 2010 07:04 PM.

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I thought the same thing, but I have never seen another, I dont know?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'D BE SUSPICIOUS OF THE "WHITE" BACKSIDE. I ALSO HAVE A REPRO MOBILGAS SHIELD ON AN OUTSIDE PUMP AND THE RED LETTERS AND PEGASUS ARE QUITE FADED FROM THE SUN. ASSUMING IT'S A REPRO AND THEY JUST DON'T MAKE THE RED LIKE THEY USED TO.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I saw one two or three years back. A fellow was set up on the World's Longest Yardsale just above Crossville, TN and I looked at it close-up. The red was faded on it and it was also missing the grommets. The size of it was different to the originals, but I can't remember the dimensions. Chip Flohe, I think, told me that he had seen the same sign and that it was a repro and he also told me the dimensions at the time. I just can't remember what they were. I thought someone on here might have an original and could compare the size....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't have an original so I don't know.But,PCM's green book lists the size as 14 X 16.That's a lot of difference to think about.JMO.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I just measured the original ethyl and regular signs in my collection and they both are 12" by 15". They are originals that came out of the original shipping crate wraped in 1950's paper. The red on mine is definitely much darker. The corners of my signs are rounded where the one on ebay appears to have square corners. My signs have grommets and the holes are closer to the red line than the sign in question. I saw one of these repops at Iowa Gas being sold by a vendor from Indiana who had other questionable signs as documented several years ago on tis site.

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was thinking also that the original I saw had rounded corners.

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well at least they got the dimensions right even if that is a repro. They just missed rounding the corners. I'm pretty sure the one I had seen before was a little larger and the corners on it were also squared.

Old Iron:
Does PCM's book say that the 14 X 16 is original size or repro size?

Thanks to all who have commented...Dale

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The book sez 14x16 1946-1977 for the Colonial Regular Gasoline pump plate. does not say any thing about repo size.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hmmnnn!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This book is not always right on some of the sizes and dates. I have found a few other mistakes. I would tend to believe Bill Fortune on this one than the book.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved