#174553 Thu Feb 11 2010 03:30 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
This statement below is from me about an item that was on e bay:

“eBay # 200430191139

If you plan on bidding on this the description is false. I was outbid on this by a e bay warehouse at a local auction. This globe does have cracks in it. Not major ones just multiple stress cracks. Also, the white spot in the 3rd picture is a spot where the bulb laid up against it or got to hot. Paint is missing. FYI

In the future watch them as well, as they state that their signs are professionally refurbished and they are far from it.”

This is exactly word for word as I posted it with no modifications what so ever. It is still posted in the auction area on page three as you read this. With that said, I have learned that telling the truth will get you banned from buying a certain persons items off of e bay. I was told by this warehouse that a person from Oldgas sent this to him and pretty much bad mouthed me, which is totally fine as I’m not losing any sleep. I was involved in a couple minute yelling match yesterday, which I took second in and was not part of. I was told that I can no longer purchase items from this warehouse and or step foot in. And again I will not lose sleep over that either. I was also told buy this person that the only reason that I told the public here on Oldgas about this item, was because I wanted it so bad and did not win it in the original auction. I can assure you if that were the case I would be on the net upset all the time as I attend 5 to 6 auctions a month and get outbid on 60% of the things that I want to buy or bid on.

Someone obviously bought this item and I have to believe 100% whole hearted that they either have no idea what they where buying, or they are not 100% satisfied with their purchase. I am by no means an expert on anything gas or oil related. I pay attention much as the next guy, attend shows, watch the net, buy and sell, and you name it I have probably done it. I have seen personally 20 to 30 of Standard Flames in the last 20 years and have handled 10 of them. If this had one stress fracture it had 1000 of them. It was old and brittle, and that is what plastic globes do as that is the nature of them. As for the spot on the one side, it is self explanatory. The auction company that originally sold stated that it had cracks before the selling of the globe. They record all of their sales, so I know I am 100% right about this

I did nothing wrong with telling the truth and trying to prevent someone from being disappointed. I am at a loss that someone on oldgas felt the need to send this to him and badmouth me at the same time. If that is not the case I want to apologize ahead of time. I feel that someone may have sent it to him asking questions about it and that the e bay warehouse has tried turning this on me. I will not state their name as if you are interested you can look them up.

As far as their signs go…well they have recently started stating that they are “touched up” instead of “professionally refurbished.” A professional job on a porcelain sign does not involve paint, as I think that we know that and would probably question it from anyone stating that it was professionally done.

I was in by no means badmouthing this auction house or stating that they do bad business. However, I was stating that the description of the above item was false and I stand by that. They do good business and they do a lot of business. They have made me a lot of money buy selling things as a BIN, listing them wrong, or not knowing what they had to begin with. If I see anything in the future that I handled personally and it ends up on the bay, I will continue to warn potential buyers if need be.

Last edited by chadrock00; Thu Feb 11 2010 06:35 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I too have been Banned from bidding on some sellers stuff {& 1 of those used to be a member of Oldgas]. I feel it is their loss not mine, IF I really need their item, I just have someone else buy it for me.
I don't know of any other way other than paint that a porcelain sign can be touched up.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chad,

I've always gotten a kick out of sellers who act like buying from them is a privilege. What a hilarious "punishment."

It's a shame that trying to help the public resulted in such ill-will and mistreatment. Looking at their auction page, though, it looks like there's no return policy, misrepresented or not. I feel sorry for whomever bought it.

Wes

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Chad I have dealt with you a few times in person & can say you are a top notch person to deal with!! I know you will not loose sleep over it since life goes on. I got banned by a ebay seller out of Toledo OH for trying to get the signs I bought off them. Got screwed out of about $500 plus my time to drive there & back!! I hope his chopper shop is doing well mad Oh well they will get theres someday. Take care Chad smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
If your touching up a 400 sign, paint is the way to go. Now if your dealing with a $4000 dollar sign and it has a couple bad spots, you may want to send it off and have it professionally refurbished by the pro's. Ofcourse that is your choice, I would just hang it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What type of material do the "Pro's" use to Refurbish a porcelain sign, Epoxy Paint or just paint ?
They are not using Frit that has to be Fired On.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Good question Dick I would like to know also

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
The article I read a couple months ago had a couple guys using a material similar to what dentist use in thier practice. They were doing everything from signs to dolls and it was not fired on but heat was applied as part of the process. The shine there were getting out of it without touch up was amazing. I'm going to try to find it and post it. I'm not sure what Lebaron's use but there stuff is on point as well.

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Chadrock...Telling the truth is a rare thing these days. It makes you a few friends and lots of enemies. You only want the friends, so screw the rest of them.
I have been looking to buy an all original C2 Corvette and you would not believe the fraud out there. When $$ is involved, people with no moral compass will do anything to make a sale. I applaud people like you who call them on it. Not enough people do this and everyone suffers as a result.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What the dentist use for fillings is a 2 part type of epoxy that uses ultraviolet light for curing. There might also be some epoxy paint that can be cured with UV.

You guys better be careful or you are all going to be banned from bidding on their items!

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I always appreciate anyone who brings more information to the table,when an item is up for sale.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Once again , I'm justified as to my many reasons not to do business on de " EVIL BAY " .......... this just adds more ammunition to my case . If anyone wants to do business with me it's very easy - call , e-mail or go the post office , I answer all ! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Vermonter
Chadrock...Telling the truth is a rare thing these days. It makes you a few friends and lots of enemies. You only want the friends, so screw the rest of them.
I have been looking to buy an all original C2 Corvette and you would not believe the fraud out there. When $$ is involved, people with no moral compass will do anything to make a sale. I applaud people like you who call them on it. Not enough people do this and everyone suffers as a result.
John

I'm with Vermonter on this one. We need more people who are willing to speak the truth ! Hang in there Chad.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
EBAY....a place where no buying or selling can occur without the taking of a number.....sound familiar?
just my 1-9/10ths cents worth. wink

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved