Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DIESEL #175296 Mon Feb 15 2010 09:34 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Saw that one on craigslist yesterday as well. I called the guy and talked with him about it. Sounded like he'd take $500 cash unless lots of people are jumping at it since I talked to him and he's become firmer on price. Steal of a deal if you're close enough to pick it up. Good luck!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
petropumps #175304 Mon Feb 15 2010 10:27 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Why is that we are dickering about $700 for a pump that is listed at almost $2000 in my Gas Pump Identification book. I agree the $2000 is a little high in this economy, but then again it appears that a lot of guys can't even afford to buy the book at $23.00, listed above in the Bookstore section of this website. I guess the book is priced too high.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #175316 Tue Feb 16 2010 05:26 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Jack, It seems to me that these questions come from inexperience. That is no big deal. These guys are asking for the combined experience of everyone on this site before making a decision. That is a smart move, in my way of thinking. I do the same when I don't know the value? It's called research. I have three copies of your earliest and four copies of the latest Price Guide.I could not be in business without them. I use them daily. Here is what twenty years of experience has taught me, Know what your are looking at....research values {before} you talk to seller...Go with your gut feeling. Buy it before someone beats you to it, if I'm there and we're talking, I'm going to take it home, if possible....Learn from your mistakes....you will not always come out on top. Plan is to be on top a little more than not. I personally like all Fry pumps and this one would have been in the back of the truck at the asking price. Just my opinion, as always. Paul

gasmansgp #175365 Tue Feb 16 2010 11:02 AM
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
YEA THAT'S EXACTLY WHY I LIKE TO TOSS AROUND PRICING FROM FELLOW GASSERS THAT HAVE YEARS EXPERIENCE IN THIS DEAL!IM TRULY GRATEFUL I FOUND YOU GROUP OF GUYS!I'M STILL KINDA NEW TO THIS WHOLE DEAL,I GOT INTO COLLECTING FROM MY GRANDFATHER WHO PASSED ON AND LEFT ME ALL KINDS OF MEMORABILIA FROM HUMBLE OIL,WHO HE STARTED WITH,AND RETIRED WITH 40 YEARS IN THE BUSINESS WITH EXXON!IT KINDA JUST WENT WITH MY CAR HOBBIES!ANYWAYS JUST FOUND IT FASCINATING!ONE THING LEAD TO ANOTHER,AND......WELL ITS FULL BLOWN NOW,LOL I JUST LOVE THIS STUFF AND THE HISTORY THAT COMES WITH IT!ANYWAYS,,,,,,IM NOT ONE TO OVER PAY FOR ANYTHING!AND THAT COMES FROM BEING IN THE CAR BUSINESS MANY YEARS!HERE IN TEXAS ,ON CRAIGSLIST ANYWAYS THERE SEEMS TO BE QUITE A FEW FOLKS THAT PUT WHOPPING PRICE TAGS ON THERE PUMPS,"BELIEVE ME WAY OVERPRICED LIKE $3000 FOR A TOKHEIM THATS MISSING A SKIN??? STUFF LIKE THAT? I'LL ALWAYS TRY TO NEGOTIATE A DEAL ,IM 2 HOURS AWAY FROM THE FRY,I COULD NOT SECURE THE PUMP LAST NIGHT WITH A CREDIT CARD BECAUSE THE OWNER WAS NOT SET UP TO ACCEPT ONE???ANYWAYS I GOT HIM OFF OF HIS PRICE,AND SENT A FRIEND BY THAT LIVES IN AUSTIN,TX TO GET THE PUMP!WELL COME TO FIND OUT THE PUMP WAS KINDA BANGED UP,ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PUMP, THE PICTURE DID NOT SHOW THIS!WE AGREED ON A PRICE THAT HE IS HAPPY WITH,AND IF ALL GO'S WELL THIS WEEKEND I'LL BE PICKING UP MY NEW FRY! BELIEVE ME,THERE ONE GUIDE I'VE GONE OFF OF FOR MANY YEARS AND THATS N.A.D.A,THATS ALL I KNOW!AGAIN IM A CAR GUY THAT OWNS A USED CAR BUSINESS,JACK,I REALLY NEED TO GET YOUR GUIDE,IT SOUNDS LIKE A MUST HAVE!ANYWAYS,I WOULD NOT DARE TO ATTEMPT TO BEAT DOWN PRICES AROUND THIS BOARD!IM LEARNING ALOT,AND YOU GUYS SEEM TO BE EXTREMELY FAIR,AND THAT'S JUST TOO COOL!ITS A REFRESHING FEELING,BECAUSE THE AUTO BUSINESS IS "FAR"FROM FAIR??YOU KNOW ITS LIKE MY CARS I RUN DOWN TO THE SALE,"AUCTION",WHEN MY STUFF IS THERE,IT SEEMS LIKE NOBODY'S EVEN STANDING AROUND TO BID ON MY STUFF???LOL??OR I HAVE TO TAKE A LOSS??BUT WHEN I GO TO THE AUCTION TO BUY??WELL THE MARKET IS UP,AND EVERYTHING DAMM NEAR IS FULL RETAIL??WELL I GUESS THATS JUST THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES?LOL??THANKS AGAIN GUYS FOR THE ADVICE! IT IS TRULY APPRECIATED!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
DIESEL #175389 Tue Feb 16 2010 02:18 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
A few years ago for a part time job I began moving cars around at the big Manheim auction here in St. Louis.
Every dealer I ever saw had a yellow cover book in his hand, I know it wasn't called a Blue Book, but it stated the prices of the cars they were bidding on. While they wanted to buy the cars at the lowest price they could, they still came prepared with more knowledge than was in their head.
Last week I purchased a ECO Air meter over the phone from a man in Canada. I said yes to the first price put out there. It was a very fair price and I didn't see the need to work him down on the price. I knew the value of the unit, but anyone with my Air Meter Identification book would have also known the value.
A year ago I purchased a air meter for $2000, and sold it three days later for $3000 without ever having seen the unit. My buyer even picked it up. Again because I knew the value.
How many of us have waited till the last minute of a auction without bidding only to have the auctioneer say sold, and point to someone else?
How many of us have tried to work a person down on something and just when you think you have it, someone comes along a offers the guy the amount he originally asked for.
One more thing, I don't think it is fair to compare the auto business to what we are doing. I am 74 years old and have only purchased two cars from a dealer, and actually one of those time was just last month. All the other 40+ cars & trucks I have owned were purchased from individuals, and in the 70s I even had a dealers license. Buying a new car has always been the worse expenience in my life, second only to having a heart attack.
I don't purchase oil cans, but I have the oil can book. I don't purchase globes, but I have the globe book. Actually I have over 30 collector books from glassware to lunch boxes to soda machines. While I believe I have a good working knowledge of most of the items I seek, you can never have enough back-up knowledge.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Jack Sim #175391 Tue Feb 16 2010 02:40 PM
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
sign me up jack ! "SOLD" at full retail price !
OH AND JACK, YOU'VE PROBABLY BEEN COLLECTING AS LONG AS I'VE BEEN ALIVE! I TURNED 30 TODAY!AND BEEN COLLECTING FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW!MY POINT BEING I TRUST THIS COMMUNITY,, TO JUST ASK! I DONT THINK IT HURTS,I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH! ANYWAYS I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR BOOK! "NO HARD FEELINGS" smile

CHRIS
DIESEL #175460 Tue Feb 16 2010 09:32 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Chris,
Buy your book from Jim here on this site and if you run into me at Iowa Gas, Columbus, Evansville or Columbia, remind me of the circumstances and I will autograph it for you. I usually don't autograph books that were not purchased from me.

Jack Sim

Jack Sim #175525 Wed Feb 17 2010 08:58 AM
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
thanks jack, i did indeed order the book off of this sight yesterday before i left the office! i can't wait to get it in the mail! thanks again!

CHRIS
DIESEL #175532 Wed Feb 17 2010 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good move Chris--Beleive me you'll probably have your new gas pump "BIBLE" in your truck with you, so that you know what you're looking at the next time a pump magically appears!--Good luck on the hunt!!--KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved