Page 1 of 2 1 2
#175632 Wed Feb 17 2010 08:30 PM
C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
My students and I had an absolute disaster happen to us yesterday. We have worked on the computer for our ERIE 71 restoration for about four weeks now and we had it working perfectly. We masked it all off for painting and got a coat of primer on it. As I was sitting in my office eating lunch I heard a big crash out in the shop. I went running out there and the computer had fallen off the parts stand and crashed onto the floor. I could tell it was damaged when I picked it up, so I contacted Joe Yokom immediately. He gave me some tips to try and repair it, so I stayed up most of the night and spent most of today trying to fix it. As of this evening, I don't think there is any hope for it. I can't get it to turn over anymore, and the number wheels don't line up anymore.

Does anyone know what model computer this is? I know it is a Veeder-Root, but that is about it. I am including some pictures of it so maybe someone can identify it. If anyone out there has one that they would like to sell, please let me know.

All the kids were really demoralized today. After working so hard on this thing just to have it get destroyed is really heartbreaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

computer 3.jpg computer 1.jpg computer 4.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
coopwyo #175677 Thu Feb 18 2010 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is a 35 variator & 39 head = #39
Take the head off and send it to me,
if I don't have to take it apart, I won't charge you anything.
But you may have to repeat some of the steps you have taken on the wheels & blinders....I'll get most or all the rust off too.
it may come out cheaper than paying for a computer then the cost of shipping it to you...then there is the time of cleaning the new one.

If you send it to me pack it well .....you have now seen what UPS can do to a computer!!!!!
I am going to send you to the office if you keep spelling my name wrong....LOL

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #175686 Thu Feb 18 2010 08:13 AM
C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Joe --
My sincerest apologies for mis-spelling your name. I guess I thought you were related to Dwight Yokom the country singer. I'll get the head off the computer today and get it in the mail. I don't want you to do this as a charity case -- your time is valuable and if it costs us some money to get it fixed, then so be it. One of the major problems that I can already see is that one of the little ears that the pointer screws to is broken, and several of the gears are not meshing anymore. I guess if you can fix it, you are the man! Thanks.
Chris

coopwyo #175710 Thu Feb 18 2010 10:49 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If anyone needs to identify a computer just use this page on my website.

http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/veeder-root.htm

Most of the pictures are from Joe Yocom.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dwight Yoakam ?:/ wink
I am closer related to Abner Yokum laugh laugh
even closer related to the Yocums cool
grin grin grin

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #175719 Thu Feb 18 2010 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I looked at some of my cores....
I have a head like that with flat wheels .
I will take in yours since the frame is broken and send you this one after it passes inspection.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #175725 Thu Feb 18 2010 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do you have any idea exactly what year the cabinet that computer came out of was dated?..
1938-39 to 1944 is when that variator & head combo was used in new pumps. I am still trying to narrow this one down to the year of introduction.
If the tag is not dated the blue book should give the date from the ser. #
Maybe Jack will look it up in his blue book..... wink

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #175726 Thu Feb 18 2010 12:49 PM
C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I've looked all over it and I can't find any other numbers other than the serial number tag in the picture. I think the Erie 71's came into service in 1936, but that is about all I know as far as dates.
Chris

coopwyo #175751 Thu Feb 18 2010 03:46 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
There is a valuable lesson in there somewhere for your students. Sorry, they must be disappointed after so much work, but we have all been there. Life is a bunch of hard work followed by disappointment...wait, better not tell them that. Just joking!
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
coopwyo #175759 Thu Feb 18 2010 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The ID tag on the cabinet is the serial # you need to date it.

Show these to the class and maybe they will be at ease knowing their head will be w/ competent hands.

Notice I didn't say ( in competent ) hands... laugh laugh laugh laugh

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #175786 Thu Feb 18 2010 06:50 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Joe,
Maybe you can video the rebuild and send it back with the head to teach the kids. Of course, you might have to edit a few things out!

Chris, I think this is an awesome way to teach your students. Sure would like to see pics on the progress of the Erie. Any of your kids think gas pumps are cool now that didnt before? I hope we get a few new, young enthusiasts from this project.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm not going to rebuild the computer, I don't want to take their project away from them.
I am going to dig up a head, clean it and make sure it works and trade it out.
They might have to re-do some of the things that were already done like the blinders,
but they will be able to resume work on it close to where they had it....... cool smile wink
before Humpty Dumpty pushed it off the wall eek eek eek

Go to the gym and get one of the matts, put the computer
on a short table in center of matt, surround w/ velvet rope,...... laugh laugh

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #175808 Thu Feb 18 2010 08:23 PM
C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
John --
I'm lucky to teach in a small rural school that still believes kids need to be able to work with their hands instead of typing on a computer all day. I teach mostly woodworking classes, but I have the one special projects class that is working on the pump. The kids in that class all have an interest in "old stuff", but I think they have gained a whole new appreciation for the old pumps. The still cant get over the fact that there is a "computer" on something from the 30's.

The last project that we made in that class is a 1959 cadillac couch. A farmer about 20 miles from town had the car just rusting away in one of his pastures, so we went out and cut the back end off and made a couch out of it. I don't have any pictures of the finished couch on this computer, but at least you get the idea. We'll start on another 1959 Cadillac couch once the pump gets done. Thanks to everyone for the support and help on our pump project.
Chris

DSCN0812.JPG pink couch in paint booth 1.JPG
coopwyo #175833 Thu Feb 18 2010 11:09 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I hope that Cadi was far gone before you took a sawzall to it. mad

badgas #175838 Thu Feb 18 2010 11:35 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Coopwyo,
The serial number Joe asked for is from the pump, not the computer. Does your pump have a ID tag?
Your pump is shown on page 142 of my Gas Pump Identification book (revised edition) and on this page of my website:

http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/erie%2070.htm

Actually, the Blue Book does not list the 71, but the 71s may be listed under the 70s, so if you have the serial number I may be able to tell you when the pump was made and it will give Joe more information about the computer.

Another story. I had forgotten about this, but back around 1989 when I owned over 200 gas pumps I used to supply the skins to the local high school so that the students had something to bang on and straighten for the body shop class. Some of them did some nice work, but then there were some doors that weighed three times the original from all the plastic they put on them. In those days I used to sell doors for $20.00 each, two for $35.00, so who cared?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I do have the ID plate off the pump. It says that the serial number is JH 2237. Down at the bottom of the ID plate is another number behind the words "For Hazardous Liquids No." 824937 -- I don't know what that means.

Erie ID tag.JPG
coopwyo #175867 Fri Feb 19 2010 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JH 2237 is the # needed wink

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard