Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
CAN SOMEONE PROVIDE SOME PICS OF THERE COMPUTER THAT HAS BEEN CLEANED UP, I WAS GONNA BREAK IT ALL THE WAY DOWN ,BUT I HAVE SCRATCHED THAT IDEA,TO MUCH INVOLVED ,AFTER THIS PIC WAS TAKEN I HAVE SINCE TAKEN SMALL WIRE BRUSH AND CLEANED AS MUCH AS I COULD WITH WD 40 AND PRESSURED AIR, JUST GENERAL CLEAN UP!I WANT TO DO THIS MYSELF ,ANY TIPS? ON WHAT WOULD HELP CLEANING ER' UP! ,I HAVE RECEIVED SOME GREAT TIPS FROM SOME FOLKS! BUT MORE INPUT WONT HURT! THE TIN RATTEL BOX I STRIPED AND RE PAINTED,THAT LOOKS GREAT, I PLANED ON HAND PAINTING THE NUMBERS,INSTEAD OF THE STICKERS! ANY OTHER IDEAS WOULD HELP! IF I CAN SEE PICS, THAT HELPS ME THE MOST IF ANYBODY HAS ANY!
THE REST OF THE TOKE IS TURNING OUT AMAZING ,THE COMPUTER IS THE ONLY THING THAT IM STUMPED ON CUZ I CAN'T TAKE IT APART? eek I COULD,BUT I HIGHLY DOUBT IT WOULD COME BACK TOGETHER THE SAME WAY!LOL THANKS AGAIN!

2COMUY.jpg

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Simple Green and a stainless or brass brush can work wonders on grimy stuff. I'd worry about bead blasting the thing fully assembled as you might not be able to get all the grit out of the mechanisms.

If it were me and I were repainting the wheels, I'd get a small airbrush kit and carefully spray the wheels all black, then hand paint the white into the embossed numbers (I assume your computer is embossed). They sell some small airbrush kits with compressors cheaply on eBay and at Harbor Freight. You won't win awards airbrushing motorcycle parts with them, but it'll get the job done for something like this and you won't have as much overspray as a rattle can. For the numbers, testors model paint works well. I'm lucky that I've never gotten a computer so beat up that I couldn't just clean it up and do some touchups to make it look/work presentable.

DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
SINCE YOU BROUGHT UP BEAD BLASTING, I WAS GONNA TAKE THE COMPUTER TO A FRIENDS HOUSE, HE'S GOT A CABINET SET UP AND BLAST IT,BUT I FIGURED THAT MIGHT BE TO HARSH ON ALL THE TINY PARTS ? HAS ANYBODY EVER DONE THIS BEFORE? BLASTED THE WHOLE COMPUTER?

CHRIS
A
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
A
I think, as Chris said, blasting it all together would be a mistake as you wouldn't be able to remove all the grit from the tight places and it would probably be locked up from that. Try soaking in a 5 gal. bucket of water and simple green, that's done well in the past.

Ed
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
REALLY , THE WHOLE THING?

CHRIS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would not recommend blasting the computer whole.
I only do that in extreme cases where there is so much rust you can't find the pins.... then it it a total teardown, trying to save the frame.
The two big gears in the center of the computer have a brakeing mech. inside so they will slip in one direction and drive in the other. Grit = no good. You will never get the grit out of the two center gears if it gets in there, unless you tear it all the way apart.
Some of those gears have holes in the cast and some don't.
If you are going to refurbish it, I would say look for a set of NOS wheels to replace those.
To setup to get the same black finish I do on my wheels, would be more than a rebuild.

The cleaning process I use involves heat & acid and can strip all the paint off the wheels. That is a benifit to me since I take them back to bare metal.
Only sandblast stuff when fully degreased or you will never get all the fine powder out of things like the wheels.
DO NOT USE BEADS ON THE WHEEL SHELLS
beads bounce, roll and cause friction that leads to heat, that leads to warping......sand cuts, use it.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
DO YOU RE-PAINT THE ROUND CAN THAT SURROUNDS THE MAIN GEARS ON THE Veeder Root COMPUTER, IT HAS THE Veeder Root SPECS ON THE CAN,WITCH I THOUGHT THAT WAS KIND OF NEAT, BUT IT WILL NOT LOOK RIGHT WITH EVERYTHING ELSE PAINTED? IS THE ROUND CAN EASY TO REMOVE?

CHRIS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
some variator bands are steel welded together some are aluminum held together by 2 small tabs.
DB has those decals.

the two big gears in the center of the head are the only thing parts will fly out of if you try to take it apart.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I didn't know the first thing about a computer the first time I tried to change the wheels.
It took 7-8 hrs my first time, because I had it out of time.

But I did it with no help, no manual, trial and error.
Don't say you can't, if the Chineese Fire Drill brain of mine can do it, anyone can.
It helps to have another computer to look at when attempting to change the wheels.
Even though I have been doing them for over 20 yrs I still have to look at another head to put a frame & guts back together.

This is what it will look like w/ no blinders, wheels, totalizer.
The parts between the wheels and on the ends of the shaft...just put them back where they came from.

If you look at the computer as a whole it becomes overwhelming.
bottom banks are gallons top banks are money...they are mirrored from end to end...one side turns one way the other side turns opposite......4 quadrents to the head...you only work on one at a time
Perma-vis wheels are marked, replace each wheel w/ the correct #'d wheel.
Buy a manual from JACK !!!!!! laugh laugh wink
The hardest part is getting the pins out of the wheel shaft collars without damaging the shafts, collars or pins.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: jkyocom
some variator bands are steel welded together some are aluminum held together by 2 small tabs.
DB has those decals.

the two big gears in the center of the head are the only thing parts will fly out of if you try to take it apart.
who is db ,i will have to get a veeder root decal so i can at least paint the round can!

CHRIS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick Bennett=DB

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have 4 different VR Band decals.
Also have the Upper side decal for early side readers, Tok 34, Wayne 40-A [Manufactured By Veeder Root Inc.] & Wayne 40 [Manufactured For Wayne Co. By Veeder Root Inc.]
Joe, which Band decal should he have ?
db

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
#49 computer

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Please send image[s] & size if anyone has something different.
db

DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
MR. BENNETT WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO ORDER THE #49 DECAL FROM YOU?

CHRIS
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved