Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
To me personally, if you collect an oil brand or certain genre of cans, cutting out the composite cans cuts out a part of the history or "lineage" of the brand/collection if you ask me. I think I have probably 5 different Mobil composites with the Flying Red Horse from the early/mid 60's. These are at the end of my collecting timeline of 1966 when Mobil switched to the newer logo and basically got rid of Pegasus as the main artwork on the cans. I have all of the Mobiloils lined up in time, from the Greek Key Gargoyles ending with the flat shield diamond design composite cans of the early 60's. That to me illustrates more of a history timeline of the cans from the days of Socony Vacuum thru the Socony Mobil era. If I didn't have the composites my collection would end with the aluminum cans that preceeded them.
Being 33 years old I don't really remember METAL quart cans, although I know some were still produced when I was younger. I do however remember the composite quarts and I would agree with others who mentioned that like everything else there will come a time when they are more collectable because they are what people from my generation will remember.
Just my thoughts...
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
DWSheffer #176482 Mon Feb 22 2010 02:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are a few of my favorites. I have to admit I like the generic "motor oil " on top it's just so plain and ugly I remember there use to be a whole line of generic grocery store products that just came in plain white packages with black writing . On the back of the can it has one of the best sayings of any can I have " warning this oil is made from previously refined oil and is intended of for use in Non critical engines where high oil consumption facilitates the need for an economy priced oil" I know what they are saying (this oil is cra* and cheap so don't put it in anything you care about) but I have never seen a non critical engine. Where I come from the engine is kind of an important piece of the vehicle.

I can't help but believe composite cans won't at some point be worth more. Look at it this way

1 : They were manufactured for a relatively short period of time compared to metal cans.

2 : They are delicate and hard to find in good shape, a metal can could be outside for some time and still look good, a composite can won't last one rain.

3 : They were just paper so people didn't save them to store nuts and bolts in like metal can. Some of my better metal cans were flats used to patch holes in graineries or had nail holes in them where they were tacked to a wall to store things in. We all have a good can or 2 or 3 that have the can opener teeth marks around the the top. There won't be any composites like that.

4 : Like others have said the collectors are not here yet for them .but I think at some point they will be worth having.

composite cans.JPG

Jay Leeper
HI-OCTANE #176483 Mon Feb 22 2010 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i picked up my first paper can this weekend!thought it looked neat!

1motor.jpg

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
DIESEL #176487 Mon Feb 22 2010 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a photo of my composite cans;

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I also have a number of composite can in my collection will try to get some photos. Both from Champlin and other companies. Jack

HI-OCTANE #176506 Mon Feb 22 2010 03:49 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good posts Guys!!They are great displays and you didn't spend a ton to get the effect.In my own displays I don't even seperate solder seam,crimped seam,plastic,rare,common or picture cans.I just stack them all up in what I think makes an interesting visual display.

Old Iron #176576 Mon Feb 22 2010 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are some Great looking Composite cans out there.
Although I have re-lidded a few, it's not a favorite item to work on. Results are not always favorable. I NEVER use an electric can opener to remove any oil can lid.
db

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A few of the cans I have

Last edited by Jack R; Mon Feb 22 2010 11:34 PM.
Jack R #176600 Mon Feb 22 2010 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Jay Leeper #176738 Tue Feb 23 2010 07:29 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I have several Comp. cans, but my favorite is an "ALADDIN OIL CO" can with a genie looking lamp picture on it. It came from a small refinery at Borger, Texas. In the fifties I worked near the refinery and remember it well. They refined used oil, as well as crude. I found the can at "PATE" swap meet several years ago when it was still at Cresson. Most I ever gave for a comp can, 50 dollars...It is still full and has never seeped or leaked a drop. Will try to get a pic if anyone is interested.

R D
rd_signs #176838 Wed Feb 24 2010 09:58 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are a couple of paper cans from the war years. They are not in very good shape and not oil but I thought they were neat. The Sherwin Williams says "war emergency container-handle with care" As was stated earlier there are some oil cans around from the same time frame, I would like to find some if anyone has any to sell.
Jay

paint 1.JPG paint 2.JPG paint 3.JPG

Jay Leeper
Jay Leeper #176995 Thu Feb 25 2010 07:00 AM
I think you'll see these cans start to appreciate as more of us Muscle Car guys keep discovering how fantastic these items are to decorate our collections with. Just my opinion.

oiljobber #177341 Sat Feb 27 2010 07:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I never thought twice about it, since I collect Sunoco having the composite cans made perfect sense. You all may think I'm crazy, but I even have a few plastic quarts also. I don't have any Amoco composites since my cut off period for that brand is 1961, but if I find one that dates before that I'd go ahead and get it.

The two Sunlubes are different on the back side.

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are the Composite cans I have, nothing real exciting. The Harley Davidson Can in the top row with the Picture of the Motor on it is my best one. I also like the Columbia one. When I started collecting Cans I was allways looking for Racing Oil Cans and most of them you find are composite cans.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
your right jason..i collect racing oil qts and almost everyone i find is cardboard ,very few were metal..buts thats ok i still like the cboard and price is right,,alan

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved