#177571 Mon Mar 01 2010 11:25 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Any clue what this might go for?

IMG_3003.JPG IMG_3000.JPG IMG_3008.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
rmhinkle #177573 Mon Mar 01 2010 11:32 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Page 67 in jacks book....$400-$450. If you don't have the book I recommend it, It's priceless!
Originally Posted By: rmhinkle
Any clue what this might go for?

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
looks like some serious rot on that door bottom......I wouldnt give more than $150-$200 tops.

archimedes #177585 Mon Mar 01 2010 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CHEAP AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!.
it is a common pump in ROUGH shape

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #177587 Mon Mar 01 2010 01:24 PM
Online Content
I agree, looks like a 200 dollar pump to me.

Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

rmhinkle #177611 Mon Mar 01 2010 03:50 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Is the other door and faceplate there?I think Jack's book refers to complete pumps.

Old Iron #177614 Mon Mar 01 2010 04:23 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I had just dug out the dirt from around it. Thats why its dark on the bottom of the door. It is very rusty but no rotten spots so far. Both doors are there but one is not attached. I have it with both the sale plates. This is a former working farm pump with all of the guts still there. Does that make it any better?

rmhinkle #177616 Mon Mar 01 2010 04:24 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Yard art, Rat Rod pump..........

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
$100-$150 pump in my opinion. If it were a "west coast" pump in this condition, maybe $225. But, I'm as far from an expert as one can possibly get, lol.

Again in my opinion, the "guts" just makes it heavier and harder to move.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Forget the book, realistic price is 100-150 tops in that condition

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #177621 Mon Mar 01 2010 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

If I understand the pricing in the book correctly, prices are for pumps in this sort of shape..
..Jack correct me if I am wrong.
I paid $200 the book says $350...I sold it for $300.00
The guy I bought it from was happy and the guy I sold it to was happy....all we did was load and unload it.

Last edited by jkyocom; Mon Mar 01 2010 05:16 PM.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gasalleykid
Page 67 in jacks book....$400-$450. If you don't have the book I recommend it, It's priceless![Yquote=rmhinkle]Any clue what this might go for?
[/quote] Your right kid that is a very good book. But condition is every thing and different parts of the country bring different prices also. California market different from this market in New Mexico. (ETC).

HI-OCTANE #177625 Mon Mar 01 2010 06:03 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I appreciate all the help. I'll see if I can get some better pics and get it cleaned up. I knew it was in bad shape, Just didn't really know what it would bring. Seems like I could get more than $150 for parts though... Am I wrong in saying that? With the Nozzle, Doors, Frame, Plates, Computer, odds and ends...?

rmhinkle #177631 Mon Mar 01 2010 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you might be able to part it out and get your 150.00?? looks pretty rough, most all of the bennetts i find of that model are always rusted out(atleast the side panels are), if you take a good look at it it is probably rustier than you think. the best i would do on that pump is $100.00 - $150.00. but if you like it throw some paint and a sign and a repo globe on it and put it by the garage as is. hav fun with your new pump. chris

rmhinkle #177632 Mon Mar 01 2010 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pump book was written 2 1/2 yrs ago & published 2 yrs ago when the economy was still good.
Calif. prices used to be a bit higher When the economy was better, but not now. Unemployment is still close to 11% & that has dropped prices closer to the rest of the country.
Garage sale prices used to be 10 cents on the dollar, now they are closer to pennies on the dollar.
jm2c

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have just read the references to my book above.

Joe: One deal on one pump does not mean anything, in your case the only thing I can say is that you made some money, and there is nothing wrong with that, you were satisfied, the buyer was satisfied.

Hi-Octane: Obiviouly, you have never read the first seven pages of my book. I have said repeadly, everybody treats my book like a Playboy, they go the the pictures first.

On page 6 it states:

"The values put on the equipment assumes it is in near 100 percent un-reatored condition, but without any globe that might be shown. Since most of the equipment is large and not easily shipped, the only thing that could not be factored into the value would be the location of the item for sale. Buyers will be more likely to pay more for something local than they would for a sililar item that would require a heavy shipping cost."

While I didn't mention it in the book, I think we are all smart enough to know that when assesing a value of anything we would take in consideration the condition of the item.

If you read the above, and then found a item that is rusted out, I believe you would not pay the value I listed in the book.

I challange all of you. Pick up my book tomorrow, read the first 27 pages then tell me you didn't learn something. It is amasing that some guys don't even know the difference between a wet and a dry hose but they are giving advice on which nozzle is correct for a pump. If you find any mistakes in those 27 pages please either post it here or email me, if there will ever be another book, it will only make it better.

rmhinkle:

Advice from someone who has owned over 200 pumps. Pass on it, it is not worth the labor to bring it home and even if you sold the parts I doubt you will ever cover your labor, unless you are just looking for experience.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
HI-OCTANE #177668 Mon Mar 01 2010 11:25 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My mistake!...I take for granted that I'm in the desert so the pumps around here don't have the rot you find in other areas.
Originally Posted By: HI OCTAIN
Page 67 in jacks book....$400-$450. If you don't have the book I recommend it, It's priceless![Yquote=rmhinkle]Any clue what this might go for?
Your right kid that is a very good book. But condition is every thing and different parts of the country bring different prices also. California market different from this market in New Mexico. (ETC). [/quote]

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Jack Sim #177669 Mon Mar 01 2010 11:30 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
blush...I'm reading again now. Sorry!
Gosh, feel like I just left the principles office!
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
I have just read the references to my book above.

Joe: One deal on one pump does not mean anything, in your case the only thing I can say is that you made some money, and there is nothing wrong with that, you were satisfied, the buyer was satisfied.

Hi-Octane: Obiviouly, you have never read the first seven pages of my book. I have said repeadly, everybody treats my book like a Playboy, they go the the pictures first.

On page 6 it states:

"The values put on the equipment assumes it is in near 100 percent un-reatored condition, but without any globe that might be shown. Since most of the equipment is large and not easily shipped, the only thing that could not be factored into the value would be the location of the item for sale. Buyers will be more likely to pay more for something local than they would for a sililar item that would require a heavy shipping cost."

While I didn't mention it in the book, I think we are all smart enough to know that when assesing a value of anything we would take in consideration the condition of the item.

If you read the above, and then found a item that is rusted out, I believe you would not pay the value I listed in the book.

I challange all of you. Pick up my book tomorrow, read the first 27 pages then tell me you didn't learn something. It is amasing that some guys don't even know the difference between a wet and a dry hose but they are giving advice on which nozzle is correct for a pump. If you find any mistakes in those 27 pages please either post it here or email me, if there will ever be another book, it will only make it better.

rmhinkle:

Advice from someone who has owned over 200 pumps. Pass on it, it is not worth the labor to bring it home and even if you sold the parts I doubt you will ever cover your labor, unless you are just looking for experience.

Jack Sim
blush

Last edited by gasalleykid; Mon Mar 01 2010 11:32 PM.

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you can snag that pump for $100 - $150 I say drag it home.

I love Jack's book, it is a wealth of information and actually have it sitting right here beside me on the computer desk...but...some of you take the price guide way too seriously.

Ohio Oil #177673 Tue Mar 02 2010 05:40 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Anything, pump, globe, sign, etc., is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It all boils down to how bad you want something.
Tony

sanford #177690 Tue Mar 02 2010 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Jack,
I was trying to give him an idea about

HOW PRICES ARE DETERMINED IN YOUR BOOK.

I mearly used that deal as an example to explain that most things are negotiable and you don't ALWAYS have to do things by the book.

East coast/west coast prices have ALWAYS been different.
West coast pricing has ALWAYS been HIGHER.
At least for the 23 years I have been doing this it has.
I myself would not give more than $100.00 for that pump in that shape.
Now if it was in the shape the Bowser is in that would be a whole different story.

I would offer $50.00 and tell him you will cap the tank, and wires, if he says no ,tell him thanks for his time and walk away.
He might sell it to you at that $ before you get back in the truck. wink

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
rmhinkle #177705 Tue Mar 02 2010 09:43 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I think you beginners are fortunate to have found this site and Jacks book early on.I wasn't so lucky.I went through several pumps before I found either;a costly and frustrating experience.

As I remember,it was DB who convinced me to sit down and actually read Shop Talk.Good advice!!Why "pay your dues",or at least un-necessarily high ones,when you can learn from those of us who have learned the hard way.

As for the pump under discussion,if you plan to restore it I would pass on it and pay more for a better one.Cheap yard art to keep?yes.Resale purchase?No.Just my opinion.

Old Iron #177723 Tue Mar 02 2010 01:34 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I was a gas pump horder wheather I could afford it or not. I pulled a beat up skeleton of a Wayne 70 out of a scrap pile and paid them $35.00 for it. I hauled it home and looked at it and it was so much of a peice of junk I through it in my junk pile then later hauled it to the scrap yard. So I paid $30.00 for the privilege of hauling a pump to the junk yard. BUT NO ONE ELSE GOT IT. Learning with zero's behind it.
Rick

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I cant argue that at all DB!!

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #177785 Tue Mar 02 2010 06:50 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I would have loved to have written a GP Identification guide, but in order to get a book published today, it has to have values. Values put in any book are never right on the money, but they are a place to start. This is why, on both the front and the back cover it says Price "Guide." It doesn't matter what book you pick up, the values are only guides.

gasalleykid:

I'll give you some more reasons why you should pass on the pump. Don't start a hobby by buying junk. You are not experianced enough to know what to do with the junk once you get it. You don't know what parts are worth keeping or worth trying to sell, and by the way, selling takes time and effort.
One more related reason to stay away from it. Unless you are gifted with money, you are like most of us, we have a limited amount of money to put into a hobby. If you buy this pump and it is too far gone to do anything with, you will have that money tied up, and actually you may never recover it, the pump is a common pump and parts are available everywhere. Plus, lets say you have $500 to purchase you first pump, but now you own this one and a nice pump comes along. Now you will be wishing you should have waited.
Buy junk pumps to help you restore one you have, not to start with.

I was never one who liked to buy pumps one at a time. My first purchase, after viewing over 100 pumps, was to ask the guy what do you want for all of them. I purchsed over 100 pumps for $700. And these pumps included a number of 36Bs and newer pumps.

When I was buying pump I was offered two SW boxie pumps for $25.00 each, but I would have to remove, cap, etc. them. I told the you if you give me $25.00 each for them I would remove them.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Mar 02 2010 06:53 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #177844 Tue Mar 02 2010 11:11 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
frown
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
I would have loved to have written a GP Identification guide, but in order to get a book published today, it has to have values. Values put in any book are never right on the money, but they are a place to start. This is why, on both the front and the back cover it says Price "Guide." It doesn't matter what book you pick up, the values are only guides.

gasalleykid:

I'll give you some more reasons why you should pass on the pump. Don't start a hobby by buying junk. You are not experianced enough to know what to do with the junk once you get it. You don't know what parts are worth keeping or worth trying to sell, and by the way, selling takes time and effort.
One more related reason to stay away from it. Unless you are gifted with money, you are like most of us, we have a limited amount of money to put into a hobby. If you buy this pump and it is too far gone to do anything with, you will have that money tied up, and actually you may never recover it, the pump is a common pump and parts are available everywhere. Plus, lets say you have $500 to purchase you first pump, but now you own this one and a nice pump comes along. Now you will be wishing you should have waited.
Buy junk pumps to help you restore one you have, not to start with.

I was never one who liked to buy pumps one at a time. My first purchase, after viewing over 100 pumps, was to ask the guy what do you want for all of them. I purchsed over 100 pumps for $700. And these pumps included a number of 36Bs and newer pumps.

When I was buying pump I was offered two SW boxie pumps for $25.00 each, but I would have to remove, cap, etc. them. I told the you if you give me $25.00 each for them I would remove them.

Jack Sim
frown

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
frown

gasalleykid:

My first pump was a beater...I still got it and I like it alot.

Don't let anybody discourage you by telling you that you're not experienced enough, don't have enough money, or even what pumps you should or shouldn't buy.

The pump in question is not a bad place to start if you can get it really cheap. Some of us in the hobby will snag a pump like that...clean it up a little...make it look a little more appealing...gut it...then flip it and double our money and move on to the next thing. That's one way you can move up in the quality of your collection without always having to take money from family finances.

And who knows, you may get a pump like that home and after cleaning it up a little bit and putting a lighted globe on it you like the way it looks in the corner of the garage.

Bottom line...have fun and do what you want. Half the fun of this hobby is the thrill of the chase and dragging stuff home. smile

Ohio Oil #177874 Wed Mar 03 2010 09:34 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree! The more I thought about this the more it bothered me. First off this wasn't a pump I was looking at to buy, I merely made the mistake of jumping the gun and advising the poster to look in Jacks book. Something that wont happen again I can assure you! Fact is YES I'm a newbie to the vintage pump world but very experienced in fabrication, restoration, and the auto/truck parts & accessories retail market. I don't see these pumps as being much different than any old car. You have three groups of collectors...Group 1 parks them in the yard to rust as yard art, Group 2 cleans them up, shoots a little paint on em, bolts on some custom wheels and drives it back and forth to work everyday, Group 3 wants the rare, numbers matching car that they spend years looking for that NOS grill bezel to complete the project and bring the car back to it's 100% original condition. I like to consider myself as part of group 2. Nothing wrong with the other two, Just not for me.
To date I've picked up 3 restorable pumps with a total investment of $700 ( I don't think deals like 100 pumps for $700 come around that often these days ) I've already started the restoration of the first one and plan to sell it to help fund one of my other pumps that I plan to keep. Can I put time and money into a common Tok 39 and still make a profit? I'm betting yes! Why you ask? Because while I'm no pump expert I do know of a market of people who buy cool things ( pumps can be cool things to cool ) These people don't want to become pump experts or collectors they just want something sitting in there garage or shop that will make all the other people who buy cool things jealous! Am I trying to make a business out of this?...NO already running one thanks! I just want to buy cool old beaten down pumps and breath some new life into them, Keep some, sell some, But most of all just to say I did it and had allot of FUN with it grin!
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
frown

gasalleykid:

My first pump was a beater...I still got it and I like it alot.

Don't let anybody discourage you by telling you that you're not experienced enough, don't have enough money, or even what pumps you should or shouldn't buy.

The pump in question is not a bad place to start if you can get it really cheap. Some of us in the hobby will snag a pump like that...clean it up a little...make it look a little more appealing...gut it...then flip it and double our money and move on to the next thing. That's one way you can move up in the quality of your collection without always having to take money from family finances.

And who knows, you may get a pump like that home and after cleaning it up a little bit and putting a lighted globe on it you like the way it looks in the corner of the garage.

Bottom line...have fun and do what you want. Half the fun of this hobby is the thrill of the chase and dragging stuff home. smile

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I WOULDN'T SAY YOU NEED TO BUY JACK'S BOOK FOR SIMPLY BUYING JUST ONE PUMP. IF YOU WERE A NEWB TO THE HOBBY AND WERE CLUELESS AND WERE OUT PUMP HUNTING, I'D SAY BUY THE GUIDE TO GAS PUMPS.

IF YOU NEED OPINIONS ON PUMPS THAT YOU ARE BUYING HERE AND THERE ON RARE OCCASIONS, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING...POST PICTURES HERE AND WAIT FOR THE ANSWERS. LOL!

$150 TOPS ON THE ONE YOU'RE SHOWING US. JMHO!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
rmhinkle #177881 Wed Mar 03 2010 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
seen this movie gas ally kid!

1ass.jpg

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
DIESEL #177895 Wed Mar 03 2010 11:50 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L.M.A.O.!! That there's funny, I don't care who you are.
Originally Posted By: diesel
seen this movie gas ally kid!

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This will be my last post on this topic just so I can clear the air. I mean no disrespect to Jack or any of the other veteran pump guys. The wealth of knowledge I've already acquired from these members is unbelievable and I do feel very fortunate to be able to gain this knowledge by simply reading a book or chatting with the pro's on this forum rather than spending years and loads of money learning by trial and error. Jacks book is great and I would recommend it to anyone just getting started like I am. If nothing else this has taught me more about the value of a pump under certain conditions ( and to keep my mouth shut. blush)
Anyway enough talk, Time to build some pumps! I'll be posting pics as I get my Tok 39 mystery build put back together....That should really stir up the Bee's wink

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved