Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#17813 Thu Aug 16 2007 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"Ok, then if you say originals are too high$$$, why is that??? And repros are dirt cheap$$$, why is that??? There is your analogy right there." Uh, BBQ???, that's not an analogy..... Just becasue someone can't afford an original globe doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to enjoy it. Even if it is not real. That's not a crime. The crime is passing a fake as real. Most art work in homes are copies, not originals. People shouldn't have those??

Do you mean to tell me that you would put a visible pump outside and put an original 15" metal banded Texaco globe on top??? I am not a fan of the total reproduction pumps. Wouldn't buy one, but they seem to sell. Doesn't make them bad. This is my last post on this topic. Enjoy the hunt.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#17814 Thu Aug 16 2007 07:09 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
People that can't afford this stuff don't even care about it. They would rather have an air brushed t-shirt, a bag of weed, and a couple weeks down at Myrtle Beach anyway....... maybe go to Wal-Mart or something...... I am not a big player, I'm a landscaper and have worked for the things that I have. I "really" don't have the money to mess with this stuff, but I do. And most people just have other priorities. That's all. I have three original globes outside.

#17815 Thu Aug 16 2007 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i think in a perfect world not many of us would want reproductions however that will never happen........We now have the problem of dealing with reproductions & the obvious starting point is with the blatant total rip-offs who decieve, defraud & would take every last penny of yours if given the chance....you can't really compare these guys to somebody who is licensed, pays taxes,etc.etc.etc........I know what your saying, a repo is a repo is a repo.......However if they are done in a correct way it only helps the hobby

i bought my first Coca Cola neon clock 20 years ago & it was a repo & i knew it........That single repo neon clock changed my life........I then needed an original & another & another..i went and got another job, worked harder & longer than i ever have just to pay for the extra original signs or clocks s........I felt so bad 10 years later selling this repo clock......

i would never collect a repo today, but i buy & sell many originals & repos to a retaurant chain, however i never sell them any of this "new to defraud stuff" & i do believe there are differences in reproductions...........When i bought mine 10 years earlier, i knew it was a repo & sold it as a repo, however because of that 1st clock i now travel the country doing what i love......

saying " People that can't afford this stuff don't even care about it" is so wrong.......we all have to start somewhere & some people build & some will go to Myrtle Beach with a bag of weed in a air brushed tee-shirt.........

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 08-16-2007).]

#17816 Thu Aug 16 2007 09:22 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Well, posting from under the rock we pump part dealers live under (since we are such scum & all), I'd just like to say that Darryl hit the nail right square on the head about as square as you can hit it. I'll give one of probably a thousand examples I COULD give about why there is a place for reproduction items (like, how many '32 Fords would've been at Louisville last week without new parts?). But the best example I can give is this:
About 5 years ago, we received a purchase order for 250 reproduction clockface bowsers from Fuddrucker's restaurants. These are all date-stamped & otherwise obvious reproductions. We always add an ID tag on the back that had our info on it. We fulfilled the order in our alloted 24 month time frame. Since then, I have lost count, but I'd estimate somewhere around 30-40 guys who saw the pumps in Fuddrucker's have called as brand new, never realized there was such a thing as petroliana, customers. Most, if not all have stated a desire to own an original, which of course we obliged placing dozens of original pumps in new collector's garages or gamerooms. Some bought the repro clockfaces like they saw while they were eating those oh so tasty burgers and then later on decided to "trade up" to an original. The point is, MANY, not all, but MANY collectors (whether you think they are true or pure or whatever) enter on the repro level until they get acclimated to the prices that originals command or until they learn the real ropes of finding & buying original stuff.

Look, obviously everyone knows which side of my toast gets buttered, but I truly can appreciate BBQ's passion & commitment where petroliana is concerned. But I would hope that anyone even those radically opposed to my livelihood, could at least see SOME merit in my above real-life account. Heck, the business that I own & operate was spawned simply because my father-in-law wanted his Wayne 60 to have a nozzle rest & fork. That seems like a simple desire, and that's how businesses are started....finding a need & filling it. If there wasn't a massive need for parts, I'd use my degree and go be a Financial Planner.

Anyway, just a guy feeding four kids by selling new & (OLD ) pumps & parts.....

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 08-17-2007).]

#17817 Thu Aug 16 2007 10:18 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Just wanted to add, that I am more than willing to be of any assistance that I can be in helping you make a decision to buy or pass. I don't know everything, but I have personally handled close to 10,000 original signs,globes,pumps,cans,etc in the last 10 years (during my auctions) and then obviously I've handled untold amounts of repos.

Info@vics66.com

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 08-17-2007).]

#17818 Fri Aug 17 2007 08:15 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is one of those signs for sale on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-SIGNAL-ETHYL-GAS...1QQcmdZViewItem

Looking for nearly anything related to Signal Oil

Go Farther!
#17819 Fri Aug 17 2007 12:52 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Repros are immoral....... I think, in my head, my narrow mind, that it is simply just that. Immorality. It goes against the very grain of collecting in the first place. I think repros are immoral. I guess I need some therapy to work through this........

[This message has been edited by BBQ Chicken (edited 08-17-2007).]

#17820 Fri Aug 17 2007 01:33 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Re: "I think repros are immoral. I guess I need some therapy to work through this........"

BINGO!! I agree, you do. After all this commentary one should at least develop an understanding. The world has millions, if not billions, of items and parts that aren't "original". Get over it.

#17821 Fri Aug 17 2007 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Are WE all not reproductions !!!!!

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#17822 Fri Aug 17 2007 05:59 PM
M
M
I have a visible sitting in my garage that I could never restore without repro parts. Can't afford it. Also I could never find an original skin or cylinder for it.

[This message has been edited by MT60544 (edited 08-17-2007).]

#17823 Fri Aug 17 2007 06:02 PM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
As much as I like and admire most all of you it seems you all have WAY too much time on your hands. The question is not just are reproductions ok but what to do with this guy who is selling on ebay claiming his signs are old. He's not just selling with no date on his signs he actually states they are old. My email to him do no good. I wonder if someone can contact the police dept. in his community and discuss this with a detective. Here in California this would be fraud and against the law

#17824 Fri Aug 17 2007 06:13 PM
M
M
Are we taking about the seller from Buenos Aires? Good luck contacting the local authorities there. He keeps his buyers ids secret so we can't contact them and tell them their fakes. The other problem is Ebay has a policy that you cannot interfer with another sellers transaction. It could get you banned if you warn the buyers. I think the best way is to contact the buyers who leave feedback and just ask them if they know if the sign they bought was a repro. Give them the dirt, the link to this forum, let them figure it out, and let them file a claim with Ebay. Seller will get banned, get a new id, and start over again. Very difficult to remedy.

#17825 Fri Aug 17 2007 07:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Seth - Not everyone here is against the "parts" supplier. I for one, am very glad you provide the service you do. I'm not a purest and have used reproduction parts several times to finish a pump. If its my pump and I'm doing it in the brand and colors I choose, and the parts satisfy me,I will continue to use your services.

I like the pumps I have done so far, and appreciate those hard to find original parts being reproduced...Not swatting a hornets nest, just giving my 2 cents. At least I'm posting instead of lurking today...just hope I don't get reamed for it!

Kurt

#17826 Fri Aug 17 2007 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seth, I would say everyone on this site but a couple agree we need repro parts. We just need to make sure they are dated!
This issue is about non dated repro stuff which are meant to rip someone off!

Lets get back to the topic and not about 1 guys opinion.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#17827 Sat Aug 18 2007 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guys . . . guys.

I think we are all kinda missing the point. We are not actually talking about reproductions (well, at least not most of us). Reproductions by definition are marked as such.

What we are really upset about is Counterfeits! Which by definition are unmarked fakes that are being passed off as ORIGINALS.

Marked reproductions are fine. EVERYBODY'S hobbies would be destroyed without quality reproductions.

Counterfeits however, are against the law. Doesn't matter if it's gas pump parts, jeans, purses, purfume, or cash - it's all illegal.

I personally think bitching to e-bay about the thieves selling this junk is the wrong way to go. Maybe we need to see about a lawsuit against e-bay for allowing this doggie-do to be listed/sold. That might get their collective attention and make the policing of this kind of activity more stringent.

'nuf said.

Later . . .

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 08-18-2007).]

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved