Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#17858 Mon Aug 20 2007 08:07 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
If it were not fer reproduction.. we wood have no BBQ Chickens!!!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#17859 Mon Aug 20 2007 08:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Lesson for the night: Reproductions are fakes from the start. They are phony and immoral. Repros are intended to decieve no matter who sells them. They are the root of all evil and the fraud that exists today in sign collecting. Reproductions have no place in the real world, they only fit into a "man made" institution driven by greed and boastfulness. They suck, they are horrible, and I wish all repros to be damned to eternal damnation! DEATH to REPROS !!!! BBQ CHicKen has SQUAWKED a curse upon REPROS, and those who deal and/or use them!!! Beware...........

#17860 Mon Aug 20 2007 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You're drinking the wrong sauce.

#17861 Tue Aug 21 2007 03:05 AM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
I gotta go with you on that Dick! LOL

Chris Holt
#17862 Tue Aug 21 2007 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are several birds out there that are flying with repro parts...you know the ones that save US and our cousins across the pond.
Now how can that be wrong?
There are countless mechanical devices that are in the Smithsonian that have repro parts,
and they are to PRESERVE HISTORY .
I am glad those old birds are flying, and I am glad I am NOT a member of the Nazi Party, I am glad I do not worship an EMPEROR .
I LOVE the sound of a 12 cylinder Rolls Royce engine...or a big honking radial as it flies by...it gives me chills!!!!!

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#17863 Tue Aug 21 2007 05:48 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It is pointless to waste effort, logic, and intellect to discuss a topic with a 'true believer'. It saddens me though, that a fellow member of our great hobby chooses to take such a view of the facts.

------------------
Robert Usrey

Robert Usrey
#17864 Tue Aug 21 2007 08:02 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I still say that if everyone would turn this guy in every time he puts a sign on, maybe Ebay would get it!!!! Roadrelics told how in a previous post.

#17865 Tue Aug 21 2007 12:10 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
What BBQ chicken is saying is that repops are items not found in nature.

#17866 Tue Aug 21 2007 05:03 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
There is one subject no one talks about but I'm sure a lot of us think of, GREED. This is what has driving of lot of "hobby" for years now. I can remember people bring gas pumps to my house just to get rid of them. I had them bring cans, bottles, signs,you name it all because they heard I liked to collect that "stuff" and they wanted to get rid of it. I'm sure a lot of the guys here had to same happen to them. Early on when I started with this hobby I promised myself I only collect what I could afford/wanted not to get carried away, just a nice bunch of stuff. I never registered on Ebay, never will,never bought off it. This was about 1984 I got into the hobby. I thought I was an early bird in this hobby but soon found out I was prehaps 30 yrs late. Was impossible to find nice stuff from the 40s back in this neck of the woods.Well I joined Check the Oil and that bunch of guys and got burned good by one of guru's allready estasbilished in can collecting. I didn't quit but became very wary and held the wallet a little tighter after that. My little collection grew and things were easy to get, paid $5 for a 6foot Sinclair sign, 2 for the restroom sign with it. Things were going great and then we were discovered by the antique dealers, up until then there was no petro stuff in their joints. Prices started up, they Ebay started and real greed set in. With all the new places to find this stuff and new found availability it all started the big climb up. Some wilrecall this progress, I call it greed. I have watched it all over the years like a lot of you have and this is not a hobby anymore, it's a business which has it's place now in the hobby. The signs and globes that were dirt cheap now are only for the high dollar guys and the rest settle for low end stuff and repros and we do need them. Just watch out for the high buck items boys, GREED could be connected.I'm still satisfied to pick my stuff out of the wild and don't intend to ever sell it but have a real good son who has picked up the fever and some day he'll get it all. You know if the extreme prices that have reached into our hobby were not met just maybe they would come down. Who knows? I didn't post this to start a conflict, just an old vets observation.

#17867 Tue Aug 21 2007 05:16 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Terry,
I hear you, but "greed" is not the issue. In our free society and our hobby it's simply called "supply & demand". Why label it greed just because prices have gone so high? It can't be greed for the guy who is actually paying the high prices. Prices will continue higher, especially for the rarest pieces, until there are no buyers left willing to pay the price. All free markets function in this manner. Brush up on Econ 101 and take emotion out of the equation.

My 2 cents.

#17868 Tue Aug 21 2007 05:26 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Terry, all of us at one point in time has HAD to think along the lines of what you're saying. I know what you mean. I am into antique Fords cars and the Mustangs too, and look what has happened to all of that market. Scottsdale in January educated the whole world on collector cars. The days of finding an original low mileage Shelby and buying it cheap are long gone and will never return.

I guess the flip side of the Internet has made it harder for the buyers because everybody is just to well educated on the petroliana, etc. One trend happening in the Mopar sector is that they have peaked (the Hemis) and are now dropping in value. Still stupid prices but dropping. Maybe we'll see the same thing in Petroliana in the next few years. Heck, look at what some of the Musgo globes, Wayne Roman column pumps, etc. are doing the market looks to me like it is tanking on the bigger dollar items..........

#17869 Tue Aug 21 2007 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some interesting points of view. Prices have gone up partly because because the supply of original items is finite. That is the reason there are so many reproductions being passed as originals. Demand will tip in the opposite direction when the "Baby Boomers" start dropping. This hobby is still dominated by that age group. Part of this is because they have the money that younger collectors for the most part don't have. A larger reason is because anyone over the age of say 35-40 can remember the service/filling station as it was. It is a way to reconnect with "bygone" days. I know I still smile when I see an old commercial or magazine ad. Remember the one in the late 60's where the kids cruzin' have to decide to spend money on gas or soft drinks at the drive-in so they buy .35 or .50 worth of gas? Enough to cruz for hours. Greed may be a factor in any hobby, but greed doesn't drive prices, the consumer drives pricing along with scarcity of the item. Just my .02 worth, LOL.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#17870 Tue Aug 21 2007 08:52 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
BBQ Chicken's comments represent such an extreme opinion that its difficult for me to determine whether his post is a hoax or not, particularly your statement that reproductions are "are phony and immoral".

If you are talking about unmarked fakes that are deliberatly meant to deceive than I can understand your way of thinking.

If however, you are broadly definining all reproductions as inherently "bad" than I just don't understand your logic.

I'm presently renovating a home and we plan to replace the existing fixtures with period authentic lighting. Given the fact that original antique fixtures are extremely expensive, rarely available and in many cases are not up to current code requirements, your logic implies that the manufacturer of these reproductions is immoral.

I've restored vehicles that I've owned which NEVER could have been completed without the use of reproduction parts.

Specific to this hobby, most of us have no no other alternative but to use reproduction parts in the restoration of our gas pumps. Without these parts our pumps would be skeletons.

I understand the reaction to reproductions that are meant to deceive, but honestly I'd be just as happy having a Polly Gas neon sign in my home as much as having an original provided it was historically accurate and was purchased with full knowledge that it was a reproduction, not an original.

Chad Haas
Chief Gearhead
VAULT�
12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 300
Beaverton, OR 97005-1687
http://www.vaultgarage.com
http://www.facebook.com/VaultGarage
#17871 Tue Aug 21 2007 08:59 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
When repos are outlawed..
..only Outlaws will have repos...

had to say it..

Best thing you can do is EDUCATE yourself.. best protection.. I am sure lots of folk on here have been stung... and that may partly explain their thoughts..

#17872 Wed Aug 22 2007 03:51 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Guys,Let's remember what the original topic of this post is.I just received a call
from a friend in Georgia. He has been collecting for probably fifteen years or more. He doesn't go to many shows but does buy things off Ebay.Well guess what he just bought off Ebay??? A Green Streak and a Smitholene pump plate from GUESS WHO??
WHOLESALECANDYSHOP!!

He wanted my opinion on a couple of pump plates he had bought off Ebay.He told me what they were and I asked if he bought them from the guy in Argentina.Yes!I asked how he paid for them and he said PayPal but with his checking account. Well,you know the rest.

I told him that he really should report this to Ebay. He said "I guess I should
leave negative feedback,but if I do,He'll leave me negative feedback!"I said yes but people read negative feedbacks and see the real story. He was talking about the guy's positive feedback. I said most people that buy these signs probably don't know any different.

We all need to report this guy to Ebay!

I asked him(already knew the answer)if he ever got on Old Gas? Told him he would have known about this guy and how he could gain valuable knowledge from this sight. He got on here while we were talking. I hope if he reads this he will be willing to register and post so as to let us all know if anything comes from it.

Pat

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved