G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
A nice pair of birds

Last edited by Watchdog1; Wed Feb 24 2010 09:34 AM. Reason: edit link to work
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Goerge;

Great pair of Penn-O-lene's! The Super-Blend is only the second or third one I have ever seen. Spectacular globe when lit up. Thanks for posting, lets see some more!

Lonnie

Last edited by olddutchgas; Wed Feb 24 2010 03:51 PM.

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Roger;

Good question on the Salyers! I don't want to get bogged down on this Animal Kingdom post with a lot of dialog about the Salyers. I have a meeting to get to in a few minutes and will start a new post on the Salyers later tonight with good pictures and close ups of the globe front and back and we can discuss it on that post.

Later!

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
George:
Nice globes. Congrats...Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have no globes from salyer but I do have a few cans from them, I would like to hear the story please post it.

Jay Leeper
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I just fell in love. That Frontier with the buffalo on it had to come from the Frontier Oil Co of Buffalo NY didn't it. Mitch

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here's one more Buffalo globe. This single lense was for sale in room trading at the Iowa Gas Show last summer. Prarie Cities out of Winnepeg, Manitoba used a number of different globes on metal bodies featuring a Buffalo.

IMG_5724.JPG

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of more animal globes. Mid-West was a small Michigan marketer out of Grand Rapids, Michigan. I do not know of another globe out there that has a camel pictured on it.

If you have any animal globes why not take a few minutes and share them with the rest of the Oldgas community.

Thanks!

Lonnie

bird7.jpg bird6.jpg

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of more bird globes. We seen a Coastal Products earlier in this post. Here is a Coatal Anti-Knock and they also had a Gasoline version. Heading to Peotone in a few minutes for the auction and show. Hopefully there will be few photo ops there.

If you have any animal globes to share with the rest of the Oldgas community take a few minutes and do it this weekend.

Thanks!

Lonnie

bird1.jpg bird2.jpg

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few photos of "mythological" animals that I took at the Peotone Show. The Standard Kerosene with the Flying Red Horse is quite rare. The Mobilfuel Diesel and the Mobil Kerosone both on 15" metal bodies are also uncommon.

The Gargoyle cabinet globe was NOS and priced accordingly. Had a great time at the show as always!

IMG_7011.JPG IMG_7010.JPG IMG_7009.JPG

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
On the Frontier Buffalo globe. The Benjamin/Henderson globe book credits this globe as being Frontier (Denver). This is the first time I have ever seen a picture of it. Thanks!!! I have never seen any photographic or adverising myself that would prove it is Frontier (Denver). That said...Looking at the globe two things do strike me as being Frontier (Denver) and those are the 90 and the use of stars. I think it is probably Frontier (Denver) but it's all gut feeling right now. So what do you think Mitch...anyone else know anything about this globe?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Chris, I don't know. When I first looked at that picture I thought of the Buffalo NY Frontier because of the buffalo. Like you I had never ever heard of a logo like that. You probably know more about the company than me. I like your theory of the stars and 90. Because Frontier was one of the first to have 90 octane gasoline and because the airplane fuel production it makes sense to advertise that way. I went over to a gentlemans house today who is in his 90's that went to work there in 1944. I don't know how much he would remember if anything. He wasn't at home out chasing around. I have another friend who owned two
Frontier stations in the fifty's and that will give me a excuse to go see him. He's in his 80's. A quick thought that may or may not be true because Frontier market got up into the Dakota's it might be a possibility that the Westland Oil Co. told them to quit using that logo because it was to close to theirs. Just a thought. Anyway I'm in love and would give a arm and leg for one of those. Mitch

'

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Someday we might know the answer. The biggest thing I see wrong if it was Frontier (Denver) is the "Frontier Oil Co." on the globe. Frontier was incorporated as "Frontier Refining Company". I've never seen them use anything else. Maybe it was just an independent oil company with no relation to either of the Frontier companies we have refered to.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of more bird globes that I found photos of. I'll dig out some photos of "owl" globes that I have somewhere and post them tommorrow. This post has a couple of weeks to go yet so if you have any "animal" globes of any kind take a few minutes and share them with the rest of us.

Thanks!

Lonnie

bird4.jpg bird5.jpg

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few "Owl" globes that I have photos of. There may be other globes out there that feature "Owls" but these are the only ones I know of.

IMG_4705.JPG IMG_7033.JPG

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved