Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#177076 Thu Feb 25 2010 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
There has been some questions about the Salyer's globe with the lady riding the duck. I do not know anything about the company other than that they were out of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

There are a few original Salyer's globes but I have never had a chance to study a known original. There are many reproductions out there from the 1970s that have been attributed to the Fulton Glass Company out of Indiana. The graphics are obviouly spectacular on this globe but at the end of the day most of them are still repos. I do not know how long the company was in business, there is a slight possiblity that they had Fulton glass make some globes for them in the 70s but that seems unlikely. There are quart cans and a large number of 16 oz. additive cans out there from this company but I have not seen any other items. If you have ANY ITEMS from the Salyer's Company take a few minutes and post them and if you can add anything to this please do so.

As you can see from the photos of the back of the lense it has a whitish color to it as many repos do. There are also quite a number of small paint bubbles where the colors meet and many of the little bubbles have "popped". This is one of the charateristics of lenses made by Fulton in the 70s.

Thats all for now, let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Lonnie

IMG_6963.JPG IMG_6964.JPG IMG_6965.JPG IMG_6960.JPG
Last edited by olddutchgas; Thu Feb 25 2010 06:16 PM.

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From what I have seen Salyer's was an oil additive.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you for the information. The globe I have has the popped bubbles on the back side as you described. There still must not be a lot of these globes around because I have never seen one on ebay, auctions or Iowa Gas. Hopefully someone will post a picture of a original one.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
They sold gasoline as well as oil. I have a few road maps and matchbooks....somewhere. The Sooner Queen quart and Tru-Lube quarts/grease cans with winged eagle can be attributed to Salyer's also. My educated guess is that they marketed 1940's-1960's.

I know of ONE single with the kneeling cowgirl, brand, campfire and steer as seen on the Sooner Queen quart.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
One other note, It is only my opinion but I think ALL of the above Stay-Ready lenses are reproductions. I don't think that version of the lense ever existed. The particular image on the globe lense of the girl riding the bird and verbage of "stay ready" is only seen on the additive cans or literature associated with the additive product.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Salyer is a cool little company, For being such a small company they had some great cans, Probably the most famous is the Sooner Queen with their most numerous being the little additive can. The ATF is metal I have also seen it in composite have found three different variation of the yellow stay-ready can. Evidently the Aeroil is kind of a generic can because you can find it from a few different companies and as Jim stated above there is a Tru-Lube can ( which I need is if anyone needs gift ideas grin ) I have seen one from Salyer and one from Savemore oil which was just on ebay a few weeks ago. I don't have any company history now but hope to research them at some point in the future.

One interesting note on the additive cans that I have seen there appears to be a typo the company name is spelled SAYLER and not SALYER I have no idea whether this is a mistake or intentional one would think someone would of caught it before several thousand cans rolled out.

Thanks for the Globe lesson Lonnie Repop or not I would love to have one

salyer.JPG

Jay Leeper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen, heald, and studied very carefully a SALYERS ETHYL globe. Looks the same as the lens Lonnie has posted except there is a small round "ethyl" logo between the bottom of the goose and the word stay ready. This lens was unmistakeabley real. I have seen and heald enough over the years I can confidently say it was authentic. It came from a long ago collection from Texas and one of our members on here bought it. I don't know if they will chim in or not, but I do know this one pair a lenses to be real. I have also personally examined the globe listed in the pink globe book as real and found it to be like the one Lonnie has pictured above and like the one I have and probably others on here have. The ethyl versions back was very defined like say an early Frontier lens where all the different paint colors were noticably distinct.

Wheather or not the ones that are out there or not are real still needs to be addressed by trying to document how long Salyers used these globes and when they stopped. I guess till someone is able to prove one way or another we will have to go with the story of Fulton glass. Still a real cool globe, thanks Lonnie for posting the pictures. I am going to call the guy I know with the real one and see if he will post pics if he has any.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
There are reportedly several known original Salyer's globes out there. One of them is in Kyle Moore's collection. I don't know the details of Kyle's globe but by virtue of where he found it and the fact that it was many, many years ago it is believed to be original. I have never studied Kyle's globe in person but I know people that have taken Salyer's globes to compare next to his and there are some minor but noticeable variations between the Fulton Glass version and his.

That said, it is possible that Fulton made some in the 70s for Salyer's but unless someone can prove that beyond any reasonable doubt we have to call the Salyer's globes from Fulton repos.

Good post! If you can add anything to this discussion please do so. Hopefully we can all learn something by it.

Thanks!

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
An Oklahoma Salyer map:

Salyer 157.jpg

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
A long time ago, about 15-18 yrs I visited an old gentleman frome western Iowa, not far from council bluffs. He had quite a collection of globes including a Salyers as pictured. He said he had spoke with Scott Benjamin which stated that there were no known originals. He then stated that he knew the family which owned the company and that this was the real deal. I was just beginning to get into the hobby so I didn't appreciate the info. I hope this does not add confusion to the situation.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The gentleman you refer to was my grandfather and the globe you mention is the one Racecop has. My grandfather believed the globe was real and he has since passed. I do not know where he got it at but the backside of the lens has the popped bubbles in the black. I have always believed it to be a reproduction but that was based on knowledge from this site and the globe books.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Kethia, sorry to hear your grandfather has passed. He was a real gentleman that took several hours and even provided lunch for me and my ladyfriend. He gave me my first real practical knowledge of the globe hobby.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I recently received the following email from Jim Welty. Jim lives in southwestern Ohio and if you were active in the globe hobby 20 years ago you would have known him. Jim is just a great guy and a wealth of information. Back then he had built up a collection of 100s and 100s of globes. He did this the old fashioned way, by taking back roads, checking out old stations and bulk plants and many of his globes he got cheap or free because there was not a lot of value to them back then.

His commensts on the Salyers globes and Fulton Glass are as follows....

"Hi Guys:

I see the discussion on the Salyers globe on the Petro website. I have read the Petro site for years but never registered or written in directly, but I do email a few people I know now and then.

You may remember that I have one of the Salyers globes as pictured. I got my two faces out of the tall old corrugated metal Fulton building that was painted black with tar. It was located by the RR tracks (on the right as you head westerly) and was pretty much empty in the 70s. It has been gone now for many years.

The people in the sales building said I could look on the bottom floor. Under a workbench or table I found a stack of very dirty faces. There were about 20 good ones all togather and a few broken ones. There were 4 or 5 chartreuse AETNA, 2 AETNA white/red letters, several Clark, and the 2 Salyers faces. All 13.5 inch.

At the time Fulton was making and selling various repos at the Auburn Fall Meet and I saw one more of the Salyers globes (with the Fulton factory shipping box ) there. I have never decided if this style Salyers globe is a reproduction, a fantasy globe, or a replacement that Fulton was at one time commissioned to produce for Salyers. I can however verify that Fulton did produce these faces. I also know that they are not like the earlier Salyers faces - but I don't remember how they differ anymore."

Jim, thanks for sharing your thoughts and info on the Fulton Glass Company! If anyone has anything else they can add please do so.

Thanks!

Lonnie

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't have anything to add except I won this can on ebay this week. My thanks to Lonnie and Jay, for I never would have looked for this can.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The information Jim Welty shared with everyone is of great help to the newer collectors out there where sometimes it is hard to sort these things out. If Jim's information is accurate, and I believe it is, then it is possible Fulton glass made the Salyer's globes for actual use at stations as replacement lenses. With Cinncinati advertising out of business by this time, some company had to pick up the slack for the companies that still used globes. That, and the fact that in the early 70's globes were worth nothing, so why reproduce them if only a couple people collected back then. I have always believed down in my heart that the Salyer's by Fulton glass were made to be used on pumps at stations.

If anyone ever has a chance to meet Jim and talk with him it is well worth your time, as he is a great guy with a super personality. Thanks for the information, as it makes me feel alot better about my Salyers. Jim, are you ready to sell me that ole sprint car yet???? Call me when you get ready.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved