Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#180383 Sun Mar 21 2010 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Is it just me, or does anyone else think values of our collectibles are coming down!!! When I see handy oilers I paid $40.00 for going on ebay for $10.00 in my opinion that's not adjustment, it's tanking! Signs? I watched a sign I paid $400.00 for, sell for under $250.00. I don't consider that adjustment that's down! I'm aware that at any auction ebay others, all it takes is too two deep pockets who want it and the price goes up. A Sinclair big sign for $2000.00? I consider that the exception, not the rule . I'm curious as to your thought because I'm pulling back, I think they will come down more.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
HI-OCTANE #180386 Sun Mar 21 2010 09:49 AM
I agree that prices are coming down, especially on ebay. I have recently bought some freedom cans for 30 percent of what I have in the past.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

HI-OCTANE #180388 Sun Mar 21 2010 09:55 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
As times get harder & things get tight the prices on "some" things will go down. When you have a auction like Matthews this will draw in a more selected crowd & the prices will be better. Ebay is more for the general public & anyone that has computer access so the prices there will be lower. They are also lower because you have to figure in the shipping factor & some of those are outrageous & will keep the prices down. Just my 2 cents smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Ryan Underthun #180395 Sun Mar 21 2010 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I must be buying the wrong items. I see bulb tins that would go in the $40-50 range tops, going for close to $100 on a regular basis, now. The same with the handy oilers I look for, they mostly go for close to twice what I had bid in the past. I buy smalls, except for the bulb tins, oil company only. Those prices for the most part have stayed the same or gone higher. I have noticed a number of handy oilers, coming out of the wood work lately and the prices have gone down on say; Sunoco and Flying A oilers because of this. But a oiler in very good to excellent condition or a rare brand like "Red Indian" or early Texaco, does bring high prices and good money, in my opinion.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
gasoildude #180396 Sun Mar 21 2010 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have noticed prices down also. I was considering selling my Tonka trucks, so I did some price checking. I have not bought any in seven years so I was surprised at how prices came down.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
gasoildude #180397 Sun Mar 21 2010 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sure, things are a lot cheaper across the board but I look at it as an opportunity to purchase some things, at very reasonable prices! You might not be able to sell some of your items at real high prices, but at the same time, you are able to purchase other items that you want to buy, at greatly reduced prices. It all works out in the end, so take advantage of the low prices!
A very wealthy man once told me that you make your money when you buy something and not when you sell it! Very wise advice!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #180418 Sun Mar 21 2010 02:20 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Im kind of an Ebay guy. Picked up some affordable goodies and on this site as well. Ive got now about a half dozen restored pumps that didnt sell back when to friends and others only because the "little woman" would never approve. Now its that still and the money isnt there either. So it is a buyers market isnt it? I hope I dont step on many toes by saying I have seen some examples here and on Ebay of early porcelain signs with blown off chunks, shot thru holes, and mangled conditions with asking prices high enough to choke a horse! These dont seem to be coming down, and are they really selling? It must be because of so fewer of the signs then pumps and other items.

Roger Loupias #180445 Sun Mar 21 2010 05:10 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Personally I think prices are up and down depending on item and condition. I believe a lot of people are hurting and not buying or buying as much causing competition to be less bringing prices down. But I agree with Bob, some things are costing more to buy than they were before. JMHO of course!

........Dave
lordparaffin #180516 Mon Mar 22 2010 06:16 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I try to look at it as more of a correction. When everyone had piles of home equity money burning holes in their pockets, the prices on every discretionary item, collectables included, seemed to go up because of demand. Now that that bubble has popped, things have come back down to Earth. Values are still way up over say 10-15 years ago, but I think at a more normal rate of appreciation. As a guy who buys primarily to keep, not to resell (though I do that occasionally) it's a good opportunity for me.

chrisbowers #180519 Mon Mar 22 2010 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think ebay results have favored the buyer lately. I didn't buy a thing at Matthew's last auction as prices were fairly strong. Good items (rare, great condition) still command a premium. I think there has been an adjustment on the more common lesser condition items. Seems to be a good time to buy. As people retire or downsize great items are coming to market. Look at the line up for the Iowa gas auction as an example. I hope to buy a few items but won't be surprised if I'm outbid.

chrisbowers #180521 Mon Mar 22 2010 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree.
The bottom line is this a very good time to buy nearly anything you ever wanted today.

Cold Pizza #180559 Mon Mar 22 2010 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The good stuff seems to hold it's value.

The more common stuff has come down in price. I've been picking up qt cans for half of what they were 4-5 years ago.

Ohio Oil #180565 Mon Mar 22 2010 08:40 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would have to agree with Ohio Oil, the good items (Early, Graphic, Good Condition, Rare, Etc.) are always going to hold their value and always command top dollar. The more common items are down in value, mostly because there are so many of them and most collectors that want one (Whatever the item) have one? We have a collector friend that has a great quote “You never pay too much, you just bought it too early” That’s a very true statement!!

HI-OCTANE #180617 Mon Mar 22 2010 02:55 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I remember a few years back when houses were ATM's there was a saying "even if you did pay too much,it's OK because in a few years the hobby will catch up".I never did buy into that one.

I differ a little with you guys,but not much at this time,in that I think the good stuff took a small hit also but nothing like the hammering the common stuff and a lot of cans got.

Also,I dont think we have bottomed out except on some cans where you basically can't give them away.I think the hit is yet to come on the good stuff.It will be interesting to see if very many collectors will let their good stuff go at reduced prices.I know I won't.

This is some good stuff for you beginners.Any comments?

HI-OCTANE #180674 Mon Mar 22 2010 07:57 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
All depends on rarity and demand, had a Hazards rifle powder can with cowboy on a horse design that I paid about $100 years ago, seen it go extremely high in an auction, I sold it for $2300 on ebay. Had no idea it was worth that kind of money. Common motor oil quarts I cannot give away on ebay right now so will hold off until the next gas bash to sell them

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved