Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#180484 Sun Mar 21 2010 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I own one of these posters that's original, they were paper not linen, also notice they're all from different oil companies and from different sellers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330416372289&_trksid=p2759.l1259
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-GULF-OIL-STA...=item414e04a1f4
http://cgi.ebay.com/1931-Street-Highway-...=item19bae41cc6

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All 3 sellers are in NY State. Highly unlikely that GULF & TEXACO would offer the SAME poster, even if it was put out by the state.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
how long has e-bay had the "report it" option on the right side below sellers information? guess i'm blind, just seen this laroy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I asked one of the sellers for the story on the FIND, as I'm not 100% convinced they are new. Will see what he says.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Funny how all of them are "shrink-wrapped on cardboard". Something that never would have happened in the 1930's. The 1970's yes, 30's no. IMO

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am convinced they are repops, like I said, I own an original and Collectors Auction had one that sold years ago for $2400 (I think) They were paper, look at the grommets, look how white they are. Here's the response I got when I asked some simple questions, and no, I didn't accuse him as he states. To Quote Shakspere "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" Any way here's his or her reply:

Hello again; First I will ask a question, if I may ~ ARE YOU INTERESTED IN BIDDING-or even have interest in the item? Are you even asking questions? Somehow the question regarding my item(s) is missing, as finger pointing is not a question, "but questioning" // Secondly, you (borderline) initially accuse me, and the one other person selling a couple these as being
UN reputable, that we got taken, for being a sucker etc.- must I go on... You state, w/ no uncertainty, they're all re-pops (more than one on sale -"""PANIC"""" (with no facts/ then you later think you need more facts / I agree) Then in a response (to my first answer) you state a source needs to be disclosed, as there are dis reputable auctioneers (let all take a 'splash' in the mud), the need to 'calm' peoples suspicions. Fact: You are the only email er, with any concern about suspicions & or reputations, and I really care not to further this. I can prove beyond any suspicion the facts, but not willing to do so for your pleasure, exclusively, as I ascertain you have no interest, other than policing - or?; I (we) have no court appearance, no ticket or warrant, nor do I (we) need a legal rep.. My apologies if I've been disrespectful, but I am not a fool, a crook or naive. Please do not be offended ~ as I was, Thanks / P.S. Lets keep eBay a safe and 'fun' place / bad wine sour grapes do make

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is the response I got from Oilgasboy :
auction # 330416372289

"As I need to start posting such questions; here goes /"HELLO" - Of course this wasn't put in protective 'shrink wrap' in the depression era, it didn't even exist back then!!! / They were done in the past month, during the 2010 era melt down / This was done to enable the auction co. to offer, and, most of all, to protect all that was offered-sold / hundreds of delicate paper posters & these were kept from becoming 'shredded kites', or 'curb side recyclables' . I won't buy any thing send via the post office 'WITH OUT a BOX' either. I've added more info, as clearly how could more dinosaur bones ever surface. THESE ARE REAL ~~REALLY. Dagwood here, not 'Blondie'. // I am not trying to offend any one, but if you could have read a couple of the 'other' emails, well I censored them, not worthy of response(s). Enough said, NO DIS RESPECT MEANT OR INTENDED; please understand".

Did he get up on the wrong side of the bed or is he just a "nut," that is the $50 question? IMO, he and his item are as "kosher" as a $3 bill.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is response now posted. Sounds legitimate to me but judge for yourself i guess......mm

""A bit of history for those of you concerned regarding these posters;
An auction of posters, found in an estate that was liquidated, just took place Sat. 3/20. Many NOS paper posters from the 30s & 40s were sold, along with this small group of Linen posters/signs. All that were found of these (approx 100 of them, of the 4 types IN-ALL-inclusive) were sold. Many different examples of states and oil co.’s were represented, a hand full or one of a kind’s, and of the 4 types one had more and another very few. The few that have surfaced were bought by bidders in attendance; I think that most went to those who are keeping them. There are “no more”! All are in the hands of collectors. I purchased a second set ~ just to let you know - U – can’t buy em ~ PERIOD.

Pictures of the sale were on <auctionzip.com> (enter zip 14741) or look up <greengablevillage.com> for bill of sale. Know anything about the “Pier Show” in NYC; understand this sale was the ‘buzz’ there. I know for a fact these are RIGHT AS RAIN, as I have dealt with this auctioneer for years, and was present when the trucks came in, from empting this house that was PACKED from FLOOR to CEILING by the widow’s husband. Furthermore these posters/signs came from a printing/ sign business that closed in the early seventies, in N. Western Penna... Hope your nerves are put to rest!! Need more, I will try to answer

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I checked out the website, I still think they're not original but who knows. I still would say buyer beware as there has been too many "discoveries" that end up being bogus. The only others I've seen and the one I own are paper. Has anybody seen a linen one? I would like to hear. That being said I wouldn't pay what they're asking if there's a hunderd of them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From Oilgasboy: "Bob; I do understand your concerns (as schemers are out there), and do apologize for being a bit upset. So hope we can continue as friends. Hopefully by now you have taken a moment to view the auction listing.Everything in those photos were wrapped. I see that, after re-reading your email, when you stated "packaged at the factory / or shrink wrapped there" it is in need of further discussion. The auctioneer, Mr. Corey Brown, upon finding this hoard of posters personally purchased a shrink wrap machine, so as to prepare this sale. I know that when I go to events, Hershey, Carlisle, antique shows,etc. many dealers have their paper on board stock/shrunk (prevents folds, dust, water [outdoor events] & all else from happening. I also am 55 years young (56 in July), been in antique cars since I was 18, got to collecting gas and oil stuff in the early 1980s, and grew up with my mother being an antiques enthusiast. I perhaps need to better explain in my listing that these did not 'come' wrapped, but are only being offered as such- perhaps my descrip is confusing. At any rate you might call Corey, the phone is listed on his site (or just look to see the stuff sold), and you should see that it as a bonafide auction hall; not some import clearing house. The auction was well attended and i witnessed 'paper' posters going for up to $3,000 ea, bidder buying in quantity. So in summary, these were not 'found' wrapped, but now.... is as best I can explain. Seriously call him. Approx 100 linens were sold give or take 25 of each style, a small quantity, but a treasure trove. Should have seen the smile on the 70+ year old widows face / how many will any offer is any bodies guess, but I surmise that most went to collectors, not for re-sale. I am thankful you nosed in, as perhaps i have figured out what else transpired / again please accept my apology, and hope to chat again / Thanks / Dennis
p.s. I bet the others will be mad at me for telling the quanity / no pleasing every body

- oilgasboy"

Dennis; aka Oilgasboy seems to be honest and sincere. I have seen linen posters, real big in North Carolina Antique Stores during the 70's. Most of them were..... let's say used and soiled. I saw reproductions wrapped in cellophane being sold at the Main PX and in stores in Fayetteville and Raleigh during this time. That is why I contacted Dennis and asked if the posters where "factory wrapped".

I'm not sure if these are the "real deal"? But this seller comes across as the "real deal" to me, for whatever that's worth.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
After looking at the auction photos I wish I knew about the sale sooner, I would love to have one of the midget race posters!! I don’t see any reason to believe they are reproduction based on the fact there linen and I have seen the paper versions in the past. I know a dealer that ended up with a few of them from this auction and he only deals in top quality paper/ cardboard advertising, if he feels their real I would trust him. I do have to side with Neil, if they found 100 of them I’ll wait for the price to come down.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Yeah, I may have pulled the trigger too soon, received an email from another oldgasser that had one 20 years ago. All this repo stuff has got me paranoid I guess. Now I have to eat some crow with the seller.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dont feel bad Neil, We've all been in that situation, that's the beauty of this site.

P.S. I just bought one of the posters myself, from my home state!

Last edited by gmstuff; Tue Mar 23 2010 06:32 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I WAS GONNA SAY THEY LOOK LEGIT TO ME AND I DON'T EVEN COLLECT THESE TYPES OF ADS. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT BACK IN THE DAY THERE WERE POSTERS PRINTED ON HEAVY PAPER AND LINEN AS WELL. I HAVE A BUNCH OF OLD LINEN CALENDARS FROM THE 30'S AND 40'S. MIRACLES CAN HAPPEN!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved