Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#180916 - Wed Mar 24 2010 04:34 PM Atlantic Aviation Sign
whiteflash Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: North East Pa USA
I have never seen this sign before and not sure if it is original??? I looked at previous items sold by this seller and to me, the signs do not look correct for originals. Hoping someone could help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATLANTIC-MOTOR-OIL-P...=item414e1629fa

#180918 - Wed Mar 24 2010 04:46 PM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: whiteflash]
THE AMERICAN GARAGE Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: PECONIC BAY, L.I., NY, USA
NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE IT BEFORE. LOOKS TO HAVE THE A-M (MAKERS) NAME IN THE LOWER RIGHT.

#180931 - Wed Mar 24 2010 05:26 PM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: THE AMERICAN GARAGE]
whiteflash Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Click on his feedback and look at the recent Opaline, Sinclair and Dixie signs that were sold.

#180935 - Wed Mar 24 2010 05:36 PM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: whiteflash]
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
Grandpa must have had a hell of a barn, filled to the rafters with reproduction signs. He is pretty vague when it comes to original or reproduction, a shrug of the shoulders and money coming in, lol.

#180937 - Wed Mar 24 2010 05:53 PM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: Bob Richards]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
No worse than calling this Fantasy Item a Reproduction.

#180942 - Wed Mar 24 2010 06:22 PM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: Dick Bennett]
MetroPetro Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: North Jersey
Beware, this seller has previously sold phony signs.

#180945 - Wed Mar 24 2010 07:03 PM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: whiteflash]
pumpingethyl Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Downey , CA
Originally Posted By: whiteflash
Click on his feedback and look at the recent Opaline, Sinclair and Dixie signs that were sold.
After looking at the signs that have sold recently from this seller I know I won't be bidding on anything he has to offer.

#180967 - Wed Mar 24 2010 08:27 PM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: pumpingethyl]
grabber Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Lynn, NC USA
I was wondering how they had so many nice painted tin/metal signs...I remember seeing an atlantic aviation sign similar to this one in a petro guide I have (orange cover petroliana guide)...but the colors seem a bit different I believe.

Website www.petrojoe.com

#180996 - Thu Mar 25 2010 07:04 AM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: grabber]
THE AMERICAN GARAGE Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: PECONIC BAY, L.I., NY, USA
SO WHY IS IT THAT FOR ALL THE YEARS (ABOUT 30+) THAT REPROS HAVE BEEN MADE, IS THIS THE FIRST TIME I'M SEEING SUCH A SIGN? IS IT A ONE-OFF? OR DID THEY MAKE MANY AND JUST TUCK THEM AWAY IN GRANDPA'S BARN FOR SOME SUBTLE AGING?

#181063 - Thu Mar 25 2010 05:34 PM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: THE AMERICAN GARAGE]
DP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
It's funny, in their feedback there's a couple of inexpensive signs that appear legit. There's no mention of a barn.

#181122 - Thu Mar 25 2010 09:07 PM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: DP]
grabber Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Lynn, NC USA
Check out page 24 (lower left corner) in Mark Anderton's Petroliana Identification and Price Guide...the sign on ebay is the same(or similar)...and the measurements are within a 1/2 inch or so...The one on ebay only has 4 mounting holes (or appears to) which is a bit odd considering the sign is 38 inches high (might be possible if it were a tin tacker). The one in the guide has a frame around it so its tough to tell if it was a flat metal sign or a self framed sign originally. I have no idea whether the one on ebay is the Real McCoy or Fakey McFakelson.

Website www.petrojoe.com

#181123 - Thu Mar 25 2010 09:09 PM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: DP]
HI-OCTANE Online   happy
Veteran Member

Loc: Albuquerque, N. M.
He also has a very hard to find Humble, for you safety WE Don't Smoke On Drive Way sign. Which is all wrong. The mans hat is different and the letters look different and the grommets also wrong.

#181143 - Fri Mar 26 2010 05:43 AM Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign [Re: DP]
whiteflash Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Jury is out on this one for me. I'll bid on it when the paint dries.

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved