Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Need help with the flame/torch on top of the pump, not in to Standard stuff at all so I'm clueless.

Buying the pump and need to know just the value of the topper. Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Are you refering to the glass or plastic torch that went on top of the big signs?They were not avalable on the pumps as far as I know.The older glass ones are worth more money than the plastic ones,a pic would help determine value based on condtion but I would geuss on the glass one 200.00-500.00 I could be off a bit but someone will chime in.OK my bad the picture you posted just came up I have no idea what that is worth I have not seen one yet.Sorry for the confusion.
Joe

Last edited by Petroholic; Wed Mar 24 2010 07:47 PM.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I remember watching the last glass one on e bay which was almost flawless bring $750.00 I think. A good plastic one shaped just like the glass ones should bring $400.00 or more. The newer plastic ones are different sizes and valued according to the sign that they go to. Some bring $100 plus and some don't bring $25. I think the one that you have was used in the eighties and the value is not all that much. Really it all depends on what you like anyways. 100% origianl though.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it was being offered to me, I don't think I'd pay more than $40.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick is about right! That looks like a plastic version of a pump topper that Standard Oil made. but it was porcelain and was kinda neat. They usually bring $200--$250 in nice shape.
What those other guys are talking about is the flame globe at the top of an 18 foot tall lollipop sign.
If its made of plastic, its worth whatever you feel like paying that day, so don't let it stop you if you like it! JM2C

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I take that price back as it was $1050.00 for the mint one in the box. I think the pump looks cool with the sign topper it has on it, of course I like to be different than the next guy. Slap a decal on the front and you can dispaly right away.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i sold one like you hav pictured on ebay about a year ago, only brought 40.00. chris

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Really don't understand all the comments above. Ohio Oil specifically ask us for what we thought the value of the topper on the pump was worth and in the next post we are talking about the (compared to this topper) a very large flame that was on the top of every Standard Sign.

It seems that no one here recoginizes this topper, even me. My opinion, it is probably something a local dealer had made up for the, say 20, stations he owned.

Now, assuming what I said above is true, would this make the topper rare?

Now, how much is the topper worth?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
It is either the top of a later American gas sign,or the top to an "Ask as you travel" light up sign. I would need to see the flange to be sure. They usually go for 40-100 dollars. Hope this helps

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,
Some reply's were posted Before picture was posted.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved