Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Peppino Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Good Morning. I am new to this Forum. Could someone kindly help me to what a Pure Oil Company Gas Pump ca 1935 looks like? Would like to see all sides or images in photograph(s). I would like to create a miniature version of this Gas Pump or are there exact replica available. Thanks in advance.
Regards Peppino.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I Aint got no pictures, but the color schemes were like this:
Purol XCEL, Motor grade between 1933-38, Red lower half up to belt line and white or silver upper half. XCEL decal just above center of lower door. Globe: XCEL on metal band.

Purol PEP, Regular grade between 1931-38, Solid blue pump woth Purol Pep decal just above center of lower door.
Globe: Puril PEP on metal band or rarely on glass.

Purol Ethyl, Premium grade between 1931-38. Solid white pump with Ethyl decal just above center of lower door. Globe: Purol ETHYL on metal band or rarely glass.

All info from PCM gas pump restoration book.

Br
Claes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I suggest finding a pump design that you like. Contract stations used what the company installed, independents used what ever they wanted/liked, so any pump manufactured Before 1935 could/would be correct.
Here is a sample how pumps were painted/branded for PURE.

DSCN0001_01.JPG
PURE

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Old station pictures, post cards & maps from 1935 are another good source for ideas of what was used.
Your local Library might have old photographs of Grand Openings, accidents/fires, storm damage, etc. Talk to old tymers [seniors] they love to talk of how it use to be in 1935 & just might have a photo to share.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pep, being as I lived in the old Pure marketing area as a kid I can say for sure that the Regular grade gas pumps were a solid Slate Blue . The Premium pumps were usually painted Refrigerator White or as they advertised, Pure Pep. Since we never had a " Motor grade fuel or any Woco Pep stations , I can't help ya too much there . The Red didn't come along until the Firebird came out about 1960. Then the Pure Firebird premium gasolines were painted 50% Red and White . Hopefully that can help ya . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved