Next Thread
Print Thread
#181020 Thu Mar 25 2010 09:09 AM
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Just an FYI if any Old Gassers are bidding on the pair of GULF lenses, item number 230453955332, that these are dated July 1985. I asked the seller what the small print at 6 o'clock was and that was the answer. I doubt they are going to change the listing. I mean they aren't saying they are original, but they aren't saying they are a 1985 repro either. They are already bid up past the price you could buy a new one for.
Have a good day all,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...just sent this question to the seller:

"Hi - are these true vintage lenses (i.e., from the time Gulf used this style globe in the 1930-1950's) or are these 'vintage' from 1985? I ask as there appears to be something written at the bottom of each lens, and the only thing I've seen of a similar nature are reproduction lenses made in 1985, which aren't considered 'vintage' by collectors of gas globes. Can you please clear this up? Feel free to post your response so other potential bidders may benefit from the information, and make a truly informed bid. Thanks!"

...we'll see how forthcoming they are...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...just got this reply:

"It would appear that you are a knowledgeable collector; however, I am not. I have owned these lenses for 20 years! as to when they were made I do not know. I bought them at a local auction of a Gulf Oil Service Station in Harden Ky in 1989.

I looked are lenses per the information you provided. They are Copyright "July 1985" at the bottom of the lenses. I hope this information clarifies your questions.

Thanks for your help. I'll revise the listing per your comments."

...the seller has 100% feedback, so this is probably just a case of someone finding something they thought was old - you'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, anyway...if they revise the listing then I guess we'll know for sure...nice catch DW...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you read the Q&A section on this auction, seems the seller left out the following;

"Thanks for your help. I'll revise the listing per your comments."

Funny how that sometimes happens, the question was shown and most of the answer shown, no change in listing,.... so far.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, the whole comment is printed exactly as Gulfiend recieved it,(click on the blue "see more" link". you can't change or omit sections of a sellers question or your answer. To most that Question/Answer section confirms it is repopped no need to revise the listing. Anybody bidding should read the whole listing page.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved