Next Thread
Print Thread
#182544 Thu Apr 08 2010 06:12 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I have a few cool michelin pieces and want to do a pump with "Michelin products sold here" on the pump, and surround the pump with my Michelin pieces. my question is would gas comanies sell any tires that they worked with on a local scale, or were specific gas companies contracted throughout the country with specific tire companies. would like the pump to be correct to selling Michelin. any info appreciated. Chuck

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In regard to oil companies...Marathon worked exlusively with Cooper Tires in the eighties and nineties. Cooper branded a tire called Starfire Spectrum just for Marathon. Our dealer package came complete with signage and tire racks.

My guess is that many other oil companies probably had tire companies brand tires just for them and then slap their oil company logo or some other generic brand on it.

Which when you think of it makes sense. ie...Firestone, Goodyear, and Cooper tires all have automotive/tire repair facilities in our area. Letting a tire company sell their brand at your stations might give your customer a reason to take their car to the tire dealer's repair facility. If you put your own brand on it you stand a better chance of retaining your customer.

Now, in regard to independent gas station dealers, you could work out any deal you wanted in regard to tire sales/promotions. There are/were a lot of places for a dealer to get good pricing on. We sold a lot of Firestone tires because they would give us a good break on pricing. Typically a dealer would buy them from a tire wharehouse in a larger city or buy them directly from their tire dealer in their local town.

As a dealer I pushed tire sales hard. When you pulled on our lot we had rows of neatly stacked new tires everywhere with appropriate signage. For me...it gave you an opportunity to get the car on the rack and upsell a lot of brake/undercar service.

Hope that helps.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
very good info, thanks. Kinda what i thought. if anyone knows what company married up with Michelin that would be great. say in the 40's/50's? chuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe Texaco had deals with Goodyear and Firestone over the years. You see signs on Texaco stations with these tires. A friend of mine's father had a Texaco station and Texaco required Firestone tires. He wanted to sell other brands and ended up selling the station and buying the Mobil station and did more business in tires than he did in gas. Sure wish I collected oil and gas items as a kid. The basement of the Mobil station was jammed......I went back years later and it was emptied out.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
don't know about michelin,
but I got several US Royal signs from an Amoco dealer/distributor
once upon a time

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When I was a Shell dealer in the early 70s, I purchased my tires from Shell and they were branded Shell, don't know who made them.
I believe Phillips 66 also branded their tires.

Then there are the Atlas tires (Standard).

I don't believe there was any oil company that was tied to Michelin, if there was it was on a local basis only.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I collected "gas and oil" tokens for some time. The only token that I ran across that tied an Oil Company and Tire Company together was; Tide Water Associated Oil/Flying A stations and Federal Tires.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Standard of Indiana sold Atlas tires when I worked in a station in the fiftys. Mitch

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
By the way I believe Michelin is a French company. Anyway they were in the sixtys.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved