Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#183823 Sun Apr 18 2010 09:39 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I'm new to Shop Talk, and appreciate any help. I'm restoring a 1930 Texaco station and need a sign to hang out front. I wonder if finding a quality reproduction or having a new sign made would be better than finding and hanging an expensive and battered antique. I believe a 36" two-sided porcelain "Gasoline Filling Station" sign would be appropriate. If I get a new one, I'd like it to be be historically accurate re: colors, font, arrangement, etc. Any thoughts on sources of information or product would be very welcome.

=>Bruce
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the site Bruce.

Texaco's "Gasoline Filling Station" signs were phased out in the late teens, very early 20s.

Checkout the photo on ebay auction # 360246194510 it is of a 1925 Texaco station. This is the sign a station in 1930 would display, IMO.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bruce: If you are looking for rustic I would go with an original sign, assuming it wouldbe secure and not prone to walking away. LOL I would even go with a better sign than a reporoduction. Those signs are still expensive to make. Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures when you are done.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #183869 Sun Apr 18 2010 05:53 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bruce
I like original and I like beat up original. I have found if it's something nice im tempted to sell it to but the next shiny or rusty object that catches my eye. Then I end up with a non weathered spot on the house or shop. My wife would prefer signs over sploched up siding.
Sploched: (spl-och-ing)a redneck term for siding under various degrees of weathering.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Bruce welcome to the site. If you are putting the effort into your own station, I think an original sign is the only way to go. I do not know where you are in Illinois, but there are some really good swap meets and shows several times a year in the mid west, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri and Illinois, and always seems to be Texaco items available. Check the auctions and swap meet section on this site.

Norm Huff
B
OP Offline
B
Good comments, all, thanks. I'll work on gettng some pictures up...

=>Bruce
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bruce,
Is your station the one in Decatur next door to the antique shop?
Go with an original sign.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Bruce,
Is your station the one in Decatur next door to the antique shop?
Go with an original sign.

I agree smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The Original signs were 42 inches in diameter. They are out there, not cheap, but most are fairly reasonable...Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
G
G
There are 4 versions of the "filliing station" sign that I know of, the slant of the print being the main difference. There are 2 in black,2 in green --- block and italics, or slanted. I have the black block and the green slant. E me and I will send you pictures of them.
swebb7@nwol.net

G
G
There are 4 versions of the "filling station" sign that I know of, the slant of the print being the main difference. There are 2 in black,2 in green --- block and italics, or slanted. I have the black block and the green slant. E me and I will send you pictures of them.
swebb7@nwol.net

Last edited by gainsigns; Tue Apr 20 2010 06:52 PM.
B
OP Offline
B
Yes, I'm next to the Antique Shop. I'll keep looking for an original sign...

=>Bruce
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bruce,
I haven't been by your station lately, but last time I saw it, it was looking great! Can't wait to see it finished! smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bruce,

Welcome to Oldgas! I'm glad you've decided to join the site. The pictures I took when we talked at your station are posted on this site. You can check them out here:

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130405

There's a link back to a previous FATW post that shows more detailed pictures.

Bruce, if you have any updated photos you'd like to post, feel free to start a new thread in Showcase and Stories, add them in this months' FATW in Showcase and Stories, or send them to me and I'll post them for you. We would all enjoy seeing more of your station! I've driven by a few times in hopes of catching you there, but no luck yet.

As for a sign, I agree that a good original would be best. It's too large to get a cost-effective double-sided porcelain reproduction, so if you wanted a repro, it would have to be painted (scaled/traced from a photo). I'd rather see the real deal, plus porcelain will last a LOT longer than paint...

Wes

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the nice comments. I'll get some pix posted!

=>Bruce
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bruce:
If you will send me your email -I may have an answer for you
(nn5270@comcast.net)
dann

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bruce:
I do have a sign for the period you are looking for-
if you are interested I sent an earlier post with my