Next Thread
Print Thread
#183815 Sun Apr 18 2010 09:01 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I've seen suggestions for lacquer thinner, Oven cleaner, acetone, MEK, Oxiclean, carb cleaner, denatured alcohol, gasoline, Toluene, Xylene, Naptha, turpentine and diesel fuel.

For every post where someone claims it's worked like a miracle I see where someone says it was ineffective.

I need to be cautious so as not to remove the paint or fade it.

There has to be a way that the professionals use that does not involve hours of tedious labor and yet preserves the paint. Any suggestion?

American Markers.jpg
American Gallon Markers

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't we all wish it was that easy! LOL

M
M
I have used Ironout with some success.I just did a set like that after you soak them dont rub on the numbers they may come off. marty

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
You could also buy new ones smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
I don't know who you would consider a "professional", but I've been restoring gas pumps for more than half my lifetime, and I've gotta tell you...the paint on those markers is not salvageable. You either look for a better set or get ready to do some REALLY tedious work in repainting them. I've done a number of Boyle Daytons that have the same style marker and I'll strip the paint and then take them to my air brusher and have them re-painted. It's work and costs some $$$ but it looks amazing when done. If you find a set that has only minor oxidation, then you can use the Iron-Out method already mentioned which works quite well...but as already noted, if you try to scrub the numbers after they soak, the paint will come off.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Never tried on markers but try soaking in simple green. I start all of my restoration cleaning with simple green. I soaked this gunky varnish covered VR totalizer cover and it cleaned up beautiful.

Jeff

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved