Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Johanna Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi,

I would welcome any information or history about Raymond 4 in 1 gas pumps. Thank you!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Made in Michigan, Hard to come by, dispensed gasoline, oil, air & water. Made early 1920's. I'd love to add one to my collection.

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You might say that these pumps were really 5 in 1 as the dispensed gasoline, two grades of oil, air and water.

Three different versions are shown on page 234 of my Gas Pump Identification book. I also have some original ads available. If interested, email me.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Johanna , I have a copy of Mitch Stenzler's newsletter , "Filler-Up from I think 1981. In it he describes the Raymond Pump Company much as Jack Sim just did . I have never seen such a pump close . Infact it was Jack Sim's book that even described yet a second version of the 5 in one pump . By all means get the second edition and I know you wont be sorry ! I can photocopy what I have and send it via the mail if you P- M me with a good address . Ed Shaver

Last edited by eshaver; Thu Apr 22 2010 01:35 PM.

see ya on the road folks !
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I took some pictures of one, it is shown on this page of my website:

http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/steve_gold.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
That is an unbelievable collection of air meters. Where did the Lipman go to? I would love to have one.
Thanks for the pictures

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack- I don't remember that collection selling at auction. What ever happened to it?

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack , I'm giving ya four hubcaps for the great photo shoot !!!!!! Ed Shaver

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
The Big Cheese ended up with a lot of that stuff. here is a picture of the Lipman.

I live about 20 min. from that location and I tried for a long time to meet the person that owned all of that stuff. I guess I missed out because it is all gone.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Steve Gold and I were good friends, mainly because of love for old air meters. He would stop and see me everytime he passed through St. Louis, MO.
Steve never married until he reached his 40s, then a year or two later he was diagnosed with cancer, he died a short time later in 2004.
He was originally from the Lancing, MI area, and he had long time friend from Lancing who had a big time antique/classic car restoration business in Florida.
After Steve's death, the friend was asked by the widow to liquidate all the stuff that was in the 5 buildings. She also gave him my name, and he asked me to come up and help sort out the air meters.
Steve didn't restore much, but he did have some cars and pumps that he had purchased already restored.
He had:
Over 100 air meters and towers.
Two 50s T-Birds, I help load one on a trailer while I was there.
5 or 6 rare Oldsmobiles from the 60s & 70s.
A nice Jag.
Probably close to 50 or more early curb pumps.
About 10 hard to find display gas pumps.
A complete collection of Route 66 road signs, including the almost impossible to find Kansas.
A large sign from a motel that was once on R-66.
A complete small service station, that was probably a Wathams.
I did not get to see the globes, they were in the locked basement of the house on the property.
Old bikes, scales, signs, I could go on forever.

Steve wasn't much for organization, one half of a air tower might be in one building and the other half in another building.

The locals had heard about the sale and one by one they were stopping in, mostly were old car guys.

I purchased over $5000 worth items (mostly air), only because that was all I had to spend.

Little by little I heard about different purchases. I knew Cheese had purchased something, and someone from cental Illinois purchased the remaining air towers at a greatly reduced price that what I had been quoted.

The man who was selling all of the stuff (wish I could remember his name) was doing this for the widow, I believe he received a commission, but he also spent a great deal of time away from his business, so toward the end things got cheaper because he couldn't stay there forever.

In my opinion, it should have been turned over to Matthews, given national exposure, and I feel much more would have been gotten from a auction.

I dedicated my Air Meter Identification book to Steve Gold.

If you like to look at pictures of shows and auctions see this page of my website:

http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/picture%20album.htm

I also have a vidio of the 1988 Iowas Gas.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri Apr 23 2010 02:29 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack , I just got back from you're photo tour ........... All I got to say is OUTSTANDING !!!!!!! Ed Shaver

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved