Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#186093 Thu May 06 2010 11:35 AM
D
DeanL Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Is there any collectible interest in the 60-70's style pumps? I picked up a couple farms pumps and the agreement was take one take all. No oil company markings as it has been on a farm, but it is basically the chrome features with an unleaded add glass. Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
DeanL #186099 Thu May 06 2010 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good question. I have a couple that will probably go to Iowa Gas this year so I will find out. I have sold a couple of this style in the past but they had porcelain Sinclair faceplates with Sinclair ad glass in them. They were pretty cool. Wes bought one of them which he has pictured on here in the past. I have not sold any of the plainer ones.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #186115 Thu May 06 2010 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a G&B Trimline and whenever a local "muscle car nut" comes over, they try and buy it. You just need to market to the right "crowd". If it is in even fairly decent shape they will pay good money for one, or atleast that has been my experiences with pumps from the 60's. I have a few of them, all were unrestored. Two of them didn't even make it to my home, people asked about them at a stoplight and were purchased right then and there.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
DeanL #186153 Thu May 06 2010 05:35 PM
D
DeanL Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Here's the pump.

pump.jpg
DeanL #186157 Thu May 06 2010 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO, clean it up somewhat and advertise it on Craig's list or in local paper or online (Ebay).

If it were mine, I would put in the ad that the pump would go great next to someone's Vette, 'Stang, Charger, 'Cuda, Challenger, etc....

Like I said above this is a type of pump someone could have/would have used to "fill up" their "Muscle Car" from the mid 60's through mid 70's during the muscle car era.

Here is a photo of my Trimline. A pump that I actually pumped gas from back in 1969, in my first car.... A '65 Mustang 2+2 GT. The store went out of business back in the early 90's and I bought all 4 of their pumps. I paid $100 for all 4.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #186168 Thu May 06 2010 06:41 PM
D
DeanL Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I've pretty much gravitated to the older pumps, but I see how this could look pretty cool sitting next to a 60's-70's car. Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting enough, this pump was actually a working pump 3 weeks ago on a farm. Thanks for the response Bob...

DeanL #186180 Thu May 06 2010 07:20 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
If they still work they make good trading stock to a farmer that will trade you for a older pump smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #186215 Thu May 06 2010 11:37 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
As the author of the Gas Pump Identification book I receive at least one email a day asking me about a gas pump. Most of the time it about a pump that is not in my book (I cut off the book at 1965, not because I wanted to, but because the publisher limited me to 352 pages).

Very many of these questions are about pumps made after 1965. So to answer your question, yes there is an interest in these pumps, but from my experience, the interest is coming from car guys who own cars from the same period. They have spent years restoring their car, and don't want to do it again, so they want to make their garage look like the year of their car. Coke machine, jute box, air meter, etc. and finally a gas pump.

Now, when it comes to farm pumps (those that did not compute the price, only the number of gallons distributed) the interest in these seems to be limited to the person who finds them. I know some will disagree with me, stating how they have restored these pumps (but a globe looks silly sitting on a farm pump) but ask yourself, after all this restoration, is it still worth anymore than what I could have sold it for in its original condition?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved