Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
ARE THERE REPOPS OF THESE SIGNS?
OBVIOUSLY NOT THIS EXACT PIC, BUT THIS LOGO???

42" DOUBLE SIDE PORCELAIN, GULF ,ARE THERE REPOP'S OUT THERE?

1GULF1.jpg
Last edited by diesel; Thu May 06 2010 11:06 AM.

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DSP 42" REPOPS? NOT AS FAR AS I KNOW...WOULD BE "NEWS" TO ME!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There was someone on flea bay a couple of years ago that did 42" signs.... they were aluminum with vinyl graphics.... can't remember his handle....

DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
THE SHADE ON 42" GULF SIGN IS BABY BLUE, NOT WHITE LIKE ABOVE,THAT'S WHAT GOT ME THINKING???? DID GULF DO BABY BLUE SHADE ON ALOT OF OTHER TYPES OF ADVERTISING?

CHRIS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YES DURING THE 40'S. LIKE ON THIS OLDIE....

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
would it be the sign pictured in your BOTW post

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
would it be the sign pictured in your BOTW post
YES IT IS ,I DID NOT WANT TO GET MY HOPES UP THAT IT WAS A ORIGINAL,THE GUY SENT ME A PIC OFF OF CRAIGSLIST ,AND MY JAW DROPPED , I HAD TO HAVE IT! THEN WHEN I STARTED LOOKING ,I COULD NOT FIND ANY WITH BLUE SHADE??? SO THATS WHY I WAS ASKING,IF IT WAS A ORIGINAL! BUT I THINK YOU GUYS HAVE CONVINCED ME THAT I HAVE THE REAL DEAL! I THINK I DID GOOD ON THIS ONE ! FINALLY! LOL

ITS THE ONE IN THE BACKGROUND!

2tr.jpg

CHRIS
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
WELL HERE IS A PIC OF THE REAL DEAL 42" D.S.P GULF SIGN! !IT LOOKS TO BE KINDA MINTY TO ME ANYWAYS!LOL I THINK I FINALLY GOT A QUALITY SIGN!LOL

_1OH.jpg

CHRIS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
they have reproduced 42'' porcelain signs & i know one for sure is Globe Gasoline.....i remember seeing these at least 10-15 years ago.....i can't remember all the ones that were done but i beleive one was a Kantotex also..........i am not saying your Gulf is a reproduction, just letting everyone know that there were 42'' repo porcelains made.........

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Let's see the other side, and the edge. That's a four color sign, It should have some good heavy shelving if it's real and some chips around the mounting holes. Unless it's just N.O.S show us some more close ups.

DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: HI -OCTANE
Let's see the other side, and the edge. That's a four color sign, It should have some good heavy shelving if it's real and some chips around the mounting holes. Unless it's just N.O.S show us some more close ups.
YEA THAT'S WHY I WAS ASKING IF THIS SIGN WAS RE-PRODUCED!YA SEE ,IM NO SIGN EXPERT,I DID NOT KNOW THAT IT HAD TO BE ROUGH AROUND THE EDGES,AND CHIPS AROUND THE MOUNTING HOLES TO BE AUTHENTIC!I DID AS MUCH RESEARCH AS I COULD,BUT AGAIN ,WAS NOT ABLE TO VALIDATE OUTSIDE OF THIS FORUM ,"IF" THIS SIGN WAS A REPRODUCTION? BUT AS STATED ABOVE FROM OTHER MEMBERS,"IF" THIS SIGN WAS NOT REPRODUCED ,IT BRINGS ME TO THIS THOUGHT ABOUT YOUR STATEMENT:It should have some good heavy shelving if it's real and some chips around the mounting holes. WELL .......................WITH ALL DUE RESPECT,WHAT AM I MISSING HERE HI OCTANE ,BY YOU SAYING IF,IT IS REAL???WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE,IF THESE WERE NOT RE-PRODUCED???SERIOUSLY I'D LIKE TO KNOW,THAT WOULD BE VITAL INFORMATION TO HAVE,IF THEY DID NOT REPOP THESE,HOW SOMEONE COULD COUNTERFIT SUCH A SIGN???IT IS 4 COLORS ,HEAVY SHELVING,BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IM NOT IN MY GARAGE RIGHT NOW ,BUT IM ALMOST POSITIVE,THERE'S NOT ANY HARDCORE CHIPPING AROUND THE MOUNTING HOLES,JUST INSIDE OF THE LETTERS,THOSE LITTLE ,WHAT LOOK LIKE DOTS IN THE LETTERS,"THE SIDE THAT'S PICTURED"THOSE ARE THE ONLY CHIPS,THAT LOOKS LIKE TYPICAL WORN PORCELAIN CHIPS!AND THERE TINY! THE OTHER SIDE LOOKS BETTER THAN THE SIDE IN THE PIC,ITS IN AMAZING CONDITION! WHEN I GET TO MY GARAGE,ILL GET SOME CLOSE UPS,! AND AGAIN ,IF ANYBODY KNOWS THAT THIS EXACT SIGN WAS RE-PRODUCED,I'D LIKE TO KNOW,JUST FOR KICKS & GIGGLES! OR IF I EVER TRADE IT ,SO THAT I CAN DISCLOSE WHAT I KNOW ABOUT THE SIGN! THANKS FOR THE INFO ABOUT THE SIGN!

CHRIS
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D

FYI: those original 42" Gulf signs do NOT have heavy shelving, they are kind of flimsy in comparison to say, a Texaco 42" sign

I've seen the 42" repops at Pate Swap Meet a few years ago. They were very flimsy and lightweight.

I think your sign looks authentic from what I can tell...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Chris,

After looking at your post,I went out and looked at all my big signs.I don't have a single one that doesen't have at least minor chipping around the mounting holes.

That's 11 out of 11.I've never even seen a 42"plus that didn't have some chipping around the mounting holes.Not to say they don't exist,simply to say I haver seen one.Try this,look around the mounting holes for touch up that we can't see in the pics.

I'm not saying your sign is a repop.I DON'T KNOW.I'm simply telling you the condition of all mine.

DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
HERE ARE SOME CLOSE UPS! IF THIS HELPS ANY TO DETERMINE THE AUTHENTICITY! confused AGAIN ,THE SPOTS ARE VERY LITTLE !AND NO HARDCORE CHIPS AROUND MOUNTING HOLES! I THOUGHT IT WAS IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE MYSELF! BUT IF YOU CAN TELL BY THESE PICS THAT THIS IS A FAKE,I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW! THANKS AGAIN! AND WHATEVER THAT HASE IS ON THE TOP PART OF THE "G" IS FROM THE CAMERA,THAT IS A FUNKY SHOT,KINDA HAZY!

_1ME.jpg _2ME.jpg _3ME.jpg _4ME.jpg
Last edited by diesel; Sun May 09 2010 04:29 PM.

CHRIS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm convinced it is real now. DIESEL you have a very good piece there. YOU did good.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved