Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#186508 Sun May 09 2010 08:38 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi folks,

So, i purchased a Harley oil can yesterday, im worried it might be repro.
It looks re-lided at the top, as there are can opener teeth marks.
Would a repo oil can use the old fashioned soldered seam? If its original, and relided, with a differnt lid, what you think the value would be reduced by: a can with the top cut out value?

Thanks friends

Rob

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can you post a photo of the can? That way we can reference a photo to what you are describing. Without a photo no value can be given, as can condition is always a factor in worth. As is the can logo. H-D made a number of cans, some are worth big $$ and others are worth $ (IMO).

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cans that have had the lid removed w/ a can opener were used to hold nuts, bolts, screws, nails, paint,etc. etc.
I don't know of ANY Repo cans that are Lithographed [printed on can] like they were done originally, too costly.
Some Repo's are done w/ a thin Vinyl label applied to an old can leaving the seam exposed [should be able to feel edge w/ finger nail]. Some make Repo's w/ paper labels, I did to when I started. I do my cans now w/ a water slide decal applied to New cans & simulate the seam area & have always Dated them.

Re-lidding is up to the collector. IMO they do display better [+ a 5qt w/ a lid can have the matching 1qt sitting on top].

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The only thing I would add is re-lidding is perfectly acceptable. What you want to see in a re-lid is a well executed fit and a lid that is proper to the date of the can. As with anything, cans evolved so a 60's style lid on a 40's era can would bring down value. Lids are nice to have, but IMO, I'd rather have a can where the lid was neatly cut off than one that was improperly re-lidded. Kind of like putting a metal body globe on a stainless gas pump.

........Dave
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree sounds like a original can that has a new lid on it.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
C
OP Offline
C
Hi guys, im trying to get some pics up there for you, but says they are too large in MBs'

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Try using a Hosting service, Image Shack & Photo Bucket are FREE. http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126797#Post126797

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved