Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#187981 Wed May 19 2010 07:55 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello to all.
Brother in law is selling me this gas pump. That's good. What I would like to know what will it cost to restore?

gas pump.jpg gas pump.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
T
Do you want it to be like new or kept as original as possible but still complete?
If left original you could probably get by for under $300; If you want it like new, possibly over $1,500 depending if you do it or have it done.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are so many variables in that question! By far the biggest cost will be at the body shop and that can vary greatly according to present condition of the pump. Paint and labor are very expensive!
Very nice pump to start with though! A big WELCOME to Old Gas! Theres a wealth of information within the membership. You'll enjoy being a part of the community!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard. Fully agree with all said so far.
I would be displaying that pump as is for awhile. Great start to the madness, oops, I mean collection.
Mike

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Welcome....Our shop has restored several of these in the past. Fully restored with body work, paint, plating, new electrical and the computer restored......you'd be in the ballpark of $2,000.00. Migh seem pricey but as mentioned above everything costs more these days. Paint seems to go up weekly? You can check out our work on my site and a just finished visible is on my blog.Good luck, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Thu May 20 2010 03:44 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is hard to say for sure. First off are you doing any of the work yourself. I just completed an A38 myself it is not perfect, but I did the sand blasting, bondo and primer myself. Not counting the pump or the globe I have about 400.00 to 500.00 in parts, paint and the labor for having it painted. One thing I always do when I restore a pump since i cant paint at all. I go to one of our local car dealerships and see if they have an apprentice body guy who wants to make a some cash. This has worked for me everytime. The apprentice gets to make some cash and the dealership is happy as the guy gets time in the paint booth. I hope this helps. By the way take your time the A38 is a great pump that will cause awesome headaches, but it will be worth it in the end.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the site. You have received some very good information.

IMO, there are different levels of restoration;

#1 : Stock factory look; has correct Oil Company paint scheme. Paint, body work, trim all in very good shape and period correct

#2 : Fantasy look; Add brass or chrome to areas that would not have been there from factory. Pin stripping, paint and paint design that would not have been used in the time period that the pump would have been used. A pump that you could never imagine being used to actually pump gas

#3 : Work used look; Pump repainted, most likely with a brush. Paint, body work and trim slightly "abused". Looking at it, you feel that you have stepped back in time and the pump looks as if it was just used to pump gas.

#4 : Farm or commercial look; Pump is weathered and beat up. Might have rust on it, needs a paint job

I'm sure that others can add their concepts of what "restoration" means to them.

Please share photos with us as you progress with your pump, we do like photos! grin

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME PURE OIL MAN! NEAT PUMP TO START YOUR HABIT WITH!LOL TAKE CARE & KEEP US POSTED!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for all the input.

I'm a purest so I will want it to look period correct.

And I'll take all the advise you guys can give me.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
If you intend to flip it, (sell) it might be worth more to you as a speculator, and have the next owner do there thing by you not touching it. Or go with the good advice from the responses already and learn as you go. This is a great site full of good people, welcome home. We get a kick sometimes on hearing what was paid for for a certain item. Tell us more.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Welcome aboard...
#1 rule is Pictures...
Before and After(whether kept orig or not)...take PICS
Also BEFORE you take ANYTHING apart...take PICS!
(So you know how to get it back together...LOL)
Lastly keep your newly found friends here on oldgas.com posted on it's progress...

P
OP Offline
P
Don't want in working orded,,,,, just want it to look authentic.

He is selling it for $300.00. What does the Forum think of that price

Last edited by Pure Oil Man; Thu May 20 2010 08:31 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ASSUMING THE OTHER SIDE LOOKS LIKE THE SIDE IN PIC, BUY IT ! I WOULD, I WOULD BUY IT ALL DAY LONG AT THAT PRICE!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Price is fine on the pump.

You might have about $2000 tied up in it if you disassemble, sandblast and rebuild. I either rattle can paint the frame and light manifold and electrical manifold or powdercoat. If you want a really nice Veedor-Root, let Joe Yocum (you can get his email on this site) rebuild it. I do all of mine that way. Then you have any missing parts and pieces to buy, plus new repro pieces, etc. Paint will be the most expensive unless you can do it or you have someone who can do it at a discount.

You can always keep it original. Its just a matter of personal preference. Whatever floats you boat.

Have a blast whatever you do.

Dave Folck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
300 for an A38 I would have bought it so fast

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved