Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#187969 Wed May 19 2010 07:38 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi All-

New to posting but watching site for some time. Purchased books and goods from many of you - so thanks. One sign has turned into several very beat up pumps, signs, and cans - but that is something to keep me busy when I retire!

I ran across this oval gargoyle sign - rough but interesting. 16 wide x 10 high. I have never seen this before. Any idea of value? Hope the picture posted.

thanks

Jay

mobil.jpg.jpg
mobil.jpg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FANTASY/FAKE ITEM
A 3yr old could have done Better graphics.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jay, welcome to the site. Hopefully we will see more of your collection.

db, could have been a little kinder with his comments, but he is right. The graphics are wrong and crude compared with an original sign.

A number of people will take a fantasy or reproduction sign, bury it, "hit" it with acid, take a hard object and crack the porcelain and leave it out in the weather or other methods to make a sign look old and/or used.

A good portion of us have learned a lesson the hard way and were at times disappointed in finding that the original sign we thought we had was ... well worthless. That is why we are so hard on those signs that are meant only to fool honest people.Those that are unmarked or changed to destroy those markings.

I'm not a sign guy, globe guy or a pump guy. So I and some others, ask for opinions on items here before buying them.

Books are good to have, I am always looking to add to my small library. Plus, for me PCM magazine fills holes that the books can't.

Again, welcome.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, So your saying the sign was sold by someone else that discovered it is FAKE & tried to Destroy it !
A picker/dumpster diver finds it & sells it as original !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have no idea who sold it,.... really it wasn't me. grin

I have little doubt that signs are "helped" along to appear old and weathered as we all well know. And honestly I've met more than a few antique dealers that wouldn't hesitate to "trick" the public. Thankfully most are out of business, but for awhile SW WA seemed to be a haven of Andie Rooney signs that were weathered and being sold as originals.

We also mustn't forget Ebay's famous sellers who are selling items from "South of the border", LOL and those that are reselling them at shows and on Ebay.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard Jay. Pictures are good. I like to see pictures of the good and bad.
Mike

J
OP Offline
J
Wow - thanks for the replies.

I just saved $100. My wife will love you (well - let's be honest - she never would have known).

One rough pic of shed - have 2 old script tops - which I noticed have different A's after i put them side by side(thanks Ryan). Fry 5 gal, Gilbarco 800 series dbl, and GB 176. And of course the starter pump - 2 gas boys. (yes - ebay). Also a Gilbarco air meter that was in great shape when I purchased but upon rect I noticed the guy put it into a golf bag box (from uhaul) and sent it with drywall scraps as packing material. It arrived looking like a shipment from Columbia. The UPS guy still looks at me funny. I had to sweep out his truck.

Still looking for a wayne 60 or 866 - but i need to control myself.

Hope to go to a big event soon - I am near frederick (mason dixon) so I need to get out there!

Thanks for the welcome

IMG00534-20100419-1300.jpg
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Wow, nice collection already. The Fredrick show is a nice one to go to and you're right there. You're right up the road (almost) from me, there are others nearby.

Welcome aboard.

Ed

Ed
Welcome to Oldgas!

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice Attendant/Model !

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Welcome to Old Gas smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Notice how consistent & even the letters are on this sign in the For Sale thread
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=187426&gonew=1#UNREAD

J
OP Offline
J
Dick-

Thanks for the thread containing the Gargoyle sign. It looks so crisp I would almost think that one was a repro. Now I see how crude the other was.

On the script tops - I have 2 Mobils and there are two different A's - closed and open. Any comment on that?

Thanks

Jay

IMG_5378 - Copy.JPG

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved