Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Hey guys totally new here and to the hobby. I have educated myself rather quickly with a great find on Craigslist! Got a Wayne Model 80 in considerably nice shape with original signs front & Back (Texaco)Sky Chief in really nice shape and plastic (Although weatherd)globe with glass inserts. It looks like the inner parts were painted as they are all light grey and pretty clean, aside from 15 years of shed dust and spider webs. The outer case looks to have been left alone. It has a deeper grey color with a type of paint that looks similiar to what a car might have been painted with in the 50's. minimal surface rust along the top alone on one side. I bought it from a guy who's Dad collected gas stuff. He's been dead for 15 years and it was in the shed for the last 20 yrs or so. They were asking 850 I got it for 600. I think that was pretty good from what I've seen. It's plenty nice enough for the garage without restoration. Looks like a well maintained (used) gas pump. Although I do need ot replace the rubber seals along both doors.

So..my problem is...I'm hooked! On the hobby and love it all! I'm already looking for my next gas pump but realize that finds like that are far and few between! I figure I will have to restore the next ones I buy. My question is this:

I am pretty good with stuff, my Dad was a general contractor all his life. If I get a hold of some rather rusted or beat up pumps what are the processes taken to restore it to (DECENT) shape. I dont need fantasy looking pumps with professional 1000.00 paint jobs. Can I buy paint that will look alright? Can I sand the item myself with sandpaper? Does it need ot be sandblasted and if so how can I do that myself? Sorry for all th questions just want to know what I am getting into before I dive head first in the next project...

Anyway, I am totally addicted and want to

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
You will get several feed backs Im sure from your question. The one thing I learned you really need to get an image on the site for us to see. Like myself , untill I figured out how to post, other members did it for me. I do all my own ground -up's on pumps and if you want something as an investment like pumps it worth the effort to do the best you can afford. lots of parts helpers here to help you along. A killer paint job with clearcoat done by you, no more then $200 Roger

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you need the computer rebuilt,
I can do it.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to oldgas.

Sounds like you got a great deal. Can you post some pictures ? We love pictures !

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I'll just tackle one of your questions. The difference between sanding and sandblasting is the number of coates of battle ship gray that were painted on, by hand, by the 12 year old kid that hung around the station.

If you don't anything to do tonight, check out my petroliana website, over 5000 images.

www.petrocollect.com

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Welcome. First let me say that you bought one of my favorite pumps. It has class and is very easy to restore. You can check a few pictures of restored Model 80's on my website under 1950's pumps. We have been restoring pumps for 20 years. It has been a learning experience but one that gives great final results. I would find someone locally to sandblast your stuff or buy yourself a small pressure pot blaster from one of the tool places. Given a good compressor......you can do it yourself. Good primer is the key after blasting and bodywork. You can get a single stage paint at most auto paint stores which is easy to spray and looks pretty good. Paint is pricey though so keep that in mind. Plating can be sent out as can the computer......Joe does a great job on rebuilds......By all means, have fun with this hobby.....that's what is the addictive part. Good luck, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welocome to oldgas.as you asked what can i do to make it decent?well you would be surprised what you can do with a little effort and a spray can.yeah,i like real nice paint jobs on pumps,but not all of us have the skill or funds to do that.hard part is the prep.all depends on what you want.some pumps look great with just a little wet sanding,and wax,others need all the dents pounded out and a mirror like finish.do what you like,and enjoy. mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Here she is boys

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
try it again

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
OK Well I did everything that the instructions at the top of this page says to do to upload an image. Anyone want to pm me an email address so i can send it to you and you can add it??

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PM sent

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are the pics of Eric's pump.

WOW ! Great score ! I think I would leave just as it is.

I didn't post a picture of the globe as it is a repro. I think the pump signs are original though.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Man that pump looks fine the way it is. Light it up and forget it! My thought.........Roger

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
I heard that the guy years ago had it wired to light up. I opened it up and theres exposed wired but I tried to cut an household extention cord and splice it but no juice?? How would I get this baby to light up? Also can someone please post me a link to where i can get new rubber gaskets for the doors..thanks all

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved