Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#188153 Thu May 20 2010 11:24 PM
A
Archaeo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi there, I was wondering if you guys have any chronological information on the introduction of the "cone" style cans into the motor oil realm.

I'm an archaeology student working on the excavation of a Japanese logging camp, circa 1920s-1930s and we've just today uncovered a new style of can on site. Initially, it was assumed to be a beer can of the cone style - but the spout was threaded rather than for a bottle cap, which leads me to believe that it may rather be a oil can.

The artifact has yet to be fully excavated, and is heavily corroded, but if we can narrow down the dating of the object to a minimum year - then it may help yield a better dating of the site. So, if anyone knows in particular when the first of this style was introduced, it would be a great help.

Thanks alot

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Archaeo #188162 Fri May 21 2010 04:43 AM
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Hello, if it is a beer can, cone tops were intro'd in 1936.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Archaeo #188176 Fri May 21 2010 07:15 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Guys, how about the cone top outboard oil cans. How long were those around?

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items
RetroPetro #188214 Fri May 21 2010 02:17 PM
A
Archaeo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: MetroPetro
Hello, if it is a beer can, cone tops were intro'd in 1936.

This seems to be the problem. The cone top beer cans are everywhere, and loads of information are available on them - but the question is if that this style was borrowed from the oil can variety and then made into beer cans, or vice versa.

Archaeo #188238 Fri May 21 2010 07:50 PM
Archaeo,

Pretty sure beer cans came first, and cone tops in the late 30's & early 40's were more-than-likely low profile cones. High profile cones started showing up in the 40's (OD WWII beer cans for example), but threaded cones?....I'd say that's odd for your dump & the era, unless the Japanese had a jump on technology....maybe from the Germans?....can you post any pics?

Cone top beer cans were still around in the 50's from the small breweries, but as time went on, lots of beer cans were painted over or paper-labled for "petro" products, as the breweries switched or went under....I think threaded tops came after that even....?

Well, please contact me if you find any old WWII flattop or conetop beer cans that are legible!

Best,

Mike

I'm a former collector, turned Erickson/SA/Northwestern Refining Company/Holiday petroliana picker, for a member of the family.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just a thought that might help with the distinction. I believe oil cans were of quart size. Would beer cans have been of the same volume?

........Dave
lordparaffin #188281 Sat May 22 2010 12:58 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Slight problem here, Archaeo never told us what size can he discovered.

Unless it was 2-cycle oil, I don't believe motor oil was ever put in a less than quart container.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
lordparaffin #188299 Sat May 22 2010 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: lordparaffin
Just a thought that might help with the distinction. I believe oil cans were of quart size. Would beer cans have been of the same volume?

They are if you're lucky!!!!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Thunder II #188304 Sat May 22 2010 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Thunder II
Originally Posted By: lordparaffin

They are if you're lucky!!!!

Yes they were! There were many quart size flat top & cone top beer cans back in the day. Often times you can remove the paint on an automotive can, and there'll be a beer can underneath!

I'm a former collector, turned Erickson/SA/Northwestern Refining Company/Holiday petroliana picker, for a member of the family.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thunder Flushes his system every night, puts in new, flushes out the old. It keeps his motor Clean all the time. Good for someones business !

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved