Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#188568 Mon May 24 2010 01:47 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Its been a while, but I need advice from you guys.

First, I own a former service station. Last week I was in the house's garage(not the gas station) looking up at the storage loft trying to determine what was up there and what things may weigh. The house's garage is about 100 years old and the roof is sagging a bit.

Low and behold, of all the things in the loft were two tank product measuring sticks or dowls with the markings and the pump island lights. I'm pretty sure, that the steel poles that held the lights up are gone but, for all I know they are hiding up there too.

The tank measuring sticks are LONG the one is a good 10 feet the other is 16 feet give or take. The station had two 1,000 gallon UST's, one 4,000 gallon tank and one 6,000 gallon tank. I'll take a guess and figure the long measuring stick was for the 4,000 and 6,000 gallon tanks and the shorter stick was for the two 1,000 gallon tanks.

The lights remind me of an egg sliced in half. They look like they may weigh a little bit too.

I understand the collecting of oil cans, pumps, signs, maps, etc. but does anyone or would anyone want tank measuring poles and late 60's style pump island lights. I highly doubt I'd ever re-install the lights as I have be careful of environmental issues with the pump islands, piping and the UST's.

Last edited by Jim_Becker68; Mon May 24 2010 01:48 PM.

Jim
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
pics!!!!!!!of lights!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
DIESEL #188588 Mon May 24 2010 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lights are a great item and I'm sure that someone will be interested in the measuring poles. Just put them on here with a price and you'll find out!!!---KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #188590 Mon May 24 2010 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The lights I can see there being a lot of interest. The fuel measuring sticks, not too much. The sticks are too long, to display easily, nor do they for the most part even have advertising on them. Also because of the length, close to impossible to ship unless by UPS, Fed Ex or maybe Greyhound. They are much too long to fit in a standard USPS small vehicle.

There has been one on Ebay for the last 4 or so months, possibly longer with no interest.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I happen to have a 10 foot measuring stick and if you were closer I would be interested in another if the price is right. I agree with Bob as far as the shipping would be the killer. Someone will be interested in them if the price is right. Michelle says I collect EVERYTHING so I might be the only one interested.
Mike

bruzer75 #188609 Mon May 24 2010 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PM SENT

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
bruzer75 #188610 Mon May 24 2010 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How do you display it Mike? Does it have advertising??
Let's talk... whistle

You have been in my little house and my even littler garage. laugh In my garage a folding yardstick takes up a good portion of my 8' tall wall. grin

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I am a former, Shell, Phillips & Sonoco service station dealer. We used to stick the tanks every day. The sticks do not have any advertising on them (who were advertising for). I still see these sticks laying along the side of stations because they are still being used.

Keep looking, if your storage loft is anything like mine, there are treasurers up there. I just don't have the strength to get up there and see what I have.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon May 24 2010 10:56 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #188689 Tue May 25 2010 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, most of the one's I have used or seen were generic with no advertising, also. But, we did have one with Flying A advertising on it (it was displayed up on the wall) and the one we used at the mill had Standard Oil advertising on it. There is one on Ebay right now that advertises Standard Oil. I would imagine the advertising ones would be from "jobbers" reminding the station owner and/or manager that the jobber had a full range of products for sale.

J
OP Offline
J
Well I got up on a ladder to look at and pull down the lights. There were two up in the rafters, but it was only the shade and lense. The base with the socket is gone.

Since they are incomplete and of little value I'll be dumping them in the trash.

Jim
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There ya go, thinking they are of little value! I see light shades on ebay all the time! Theres a lot of placesa to buy the light sockets too. If the condition is good, I'd try to sell them! I rarely throw anything away because I've learned that someone may need that part!!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
J
OP Offline
J

Jim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved