Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is one of the sockets I keep in stock. I got it on-line, but I don't remember where. This hex end will fit 'most' pumps as is without any modifications.

But . . .You can buy any porcelain socket that Lowe's or Home Depot sells - but you need to remember that you need to have two (2) screws in the bottom of the socket assembly. These are what attach the porcelain assembly to the white metal piece. You have to take the old pump socket(s) apart anyway to re-wire it so you might as well start with a new porcelain socket.

Here is a shot of the unit apart. The screws are 'captured' in the porcelain piece so they won't fall out during assembly.

And here is one of the 'rare' 90-degree fittings that you need for a M&S 80. I keep a few of these in stock, sandblasted and ready to go for restorations.

When I need one - I just swap out the straight hex end for the 90-degree end and I'm set.

I hope this helps.

Later . . .

Jim

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is one place you can buy the sockets on-line. Not cheap, but these can be hard to find if you don't have a large electrical supply house available locally.

Socket

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #190997 Mon Jun 14 2010 07:37 AM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Thanks Jim, that is helpful. The new sockets I got at the hardware have the holes that match up with the white metal piece but they are too small for the screw to fit. If I use a smaller screw, its too small to grab the threads in the metal piece. I thought of drilling the holes bigger, but it looks like the holes are rivits that hold the metal socket to the porcelain. Afraid it will fall apart if I drill them out.
I wonder if I could put some JB weld or something like that in the whire metal holder to hold the smaller screws in? Does JB work on white metal? Little reluctant to do that in case I need to replace it someday.
Can I assume the ones at Home Despot have larger holes in the porcelain? I can run there later in the week and get them and smaller wire. If not, Ill check with Travis
Thanks everyone.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
D
D
I wouldn't think of trying to reuse a porcelain socket, the contacts in most are dirty or shot. I buy all new sockets at Lowe's for 3 or 4 dollars ,they come in a bag brand "Servalite" part no 10045U. The porcelain is screwed into a bottom for a quarter inch thread like a lamp. Unscrew the 2 screws inside the socket and throw out the new metal bottom. The 2 screws match up exactly to the old mountings.

V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Thanks Doug. Actually the sockets on mine look pretty good, so I could reuse them. Nearest Lowes is over an hour away so am hoping I can make the ones I bought at the local hardware work, or get others at Home Despot. Do the ones at Lowes have screw holes that are the same size as the metal part that you screw it to?
John

D
D
I've never been able to find them at Home Depot, always got them at Lowe's. The porcelain one's I get are identical to the old porcelain socket and once you remove the the new metal bottom the screws go right into the old metal bases. Perfect fit, look exactly like original.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I buy mine at Orchard Supply Hardware. They have a good selection except for the one with the big threaded base. I found this web site on my hunt for them. Cheapest I could find without having to buy a whole box. http://www.thecollegetoolbox.com/leel.html

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Matt for that website. The last time I needed some of those I went Lowes and bought the sockets then made the adaptors. That was a pain. Mitch

V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Good site to know Matt. My metal base has male threads that screw into the manifold. I suppose I could just add a 1/2" nipple to the female ones they sell,or try to swap out the bases.
I am hoping to get it wired tomorrow as its supposed to rain so want to see if I can rig something up. As I said above, the screw holes in my new porcelain sockets are smaller than the old ones. So if I use a smaller (diameter) screw to fit them, they dont screw into the base because the holes in the base are larger. Could I use JB weld, or maybe lock tite or silicone to get them to stay put? If I did, will I be able to get it apart in the future if I need to?
Another question. I bought #18 lamp wire as suggested which will be a lot easier to wire, but I am wondering about grounding. The plugs that fit the lamp cord are only 2 "pronged". I know that the sockets themselves are grounded but am worried because the pump is going to be outside. The outlet that it will plug into is a GFCI. Do I have anything to worry about?
Thanks again for all the advice.
John

V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Can someone chime in on whether I can use JB weld,silicone,lock tite or similar product to get the smaller screws to attach to the metal bases on the sockets? (See above post for details) Id like to give it a shot today if I can. If not, Im going to have to order new sockets I guess.
Also, do I have anything to worry about with the lack of a ground wire if I am plugging it into a GFCI?
Thanks guys,
John

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
If your old bases are broken or do not fit, simply remove them and change out to a 1/2 inch street elbow. Them use the new porcelain base mount and screw it on. Very easy fix as long as the new sockets you bought have 1/2 inch mountings. As for grounding. Consider....when they were built.....no one grounded anything. Furthermore....the GFI works as a failsafe in this case. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Well, I give up on trying to rewire my old ones. The biggest problem is the screws that attach the wires need to go into a wire connector that acts like a nut. Cant find any small enough. Tried modifying bigger and smaller ones, but cant get a good connection.
Id like to find a socket with a male end like mine with screws that you can just wrap the wire around. I suppose I can try to modify the female bases, but does anyone know where I can find some like this?

socket resized.jpg

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I have only seen these as I cut them out of the old pump and replaced them with the type shown above in Tways response. Never seen a place to buy new ones as I never had a need.....always used what was available....Consider doing a little new plumbing to accept the newer sockets. I'm not sure how much time and agravation you have spent on this simple job but try it this way now....it will be a bit easier, I'm pretty sure. Good luck, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved