Print Thread
#191639 Sun Jun 20 2010 07:34 AM
D
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Hello All,
What are the tricks of the trade for removing the hard type caulk on lenses? I bought a pair of Skelly's that one has more caulk than the other that seeped under the lens so it has a lip/ridge in areas which I would like to remove before remounting on a glass body. I'm just worried that those areas will make the lens uneven and could cause problems if I overtightened the screws or something disasterous.
I checked some older posts and seen paint thinner could be used, but I think that was for the softer kind. Does it work on the hard kind and how long is it safe to soak them for? I would probably just soak the edges of the lens. I tried just "picking" it off, but unfortunatly took off a very small bit of the color of the edge so I STOPPED immediately!
Maybe in some cases just leave good enough alone!?! I noticed other Skelly lenses that had lots of heavy caulk on them? Were they pretty notorious for this practice? Just my observation I guess.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Darin when I took out my GLF lens it had the real hard caulk around it holding it in. I soaked the edges with WD-40 & let it sit for about a week re soaking a couple times. I then took a razor blade knife & slowly & very carefully scraped away at it until the lens came loose. Dont hurry or force the blade in or you could break the lens. Time & patience. Or if you leave it just snug up the screws with no pressure on the lens. Any questions just ask good luck smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You might try 91% Isopropyl alcohol. I've see that soften up hard caulk to some extent before. You could just soak the edge overnight and see what happens.

Wes

Last edited by thermactor; Sun Jun 20 2010 08:57 AM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved