CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: 67Chev4X4
Ball Auction Service is the auctioneers that had the auction for Seth Robbins for several years and are quite familiar with petrolania. Everybody complained when Seth didn't have his auction now somebody is taking his place in OK. I've bought a lot of items from them, I hope i'm still on their mailing list. JMHO. Mitch

Not that it really matters, but for accuracy's sake, Ball Auction was the company that Vic initially hired to conduct our sales, and although we eventually parted company, they had long ago started to have petroliana auctions independent of mine, often times mid-summer....this really doesn't have anything to do with "taking the place" of my sale.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Since you fellas like those high prices you all must have some really deep pocket books then. I guess it's time for me to have an auction and let you all go crazy and throw some of that money my way.

Jerry

Last edited by LilgasMan32; Sun Jul 04 2010 06:46 PM.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Jerry, There's an old saying....Run it up the flag pole and see if anybody salutes? Simply put, all auctions have highs and lows.....it is an average of items. It doesn't matter if it is Barrett Jackson, Ball Auction Service or your local neighborhood auctioneer. Auctioneers advertise and that's a fact. If they didn't, they wouldn't stay in business for long. For you to think that you would be the only one with knowledge of John's upcoming auction was not realistic. You need to be educated about the lots to bid and buy at any sale. If not, you'll surely overpay. I go to a lot of sales and always buy something.......I just try to be a wise shopper....So run your stuff up the flag pole of your local auctioneer, if you want, and see who is interested? Just me talking, Paul www.severngaspumps

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& if you do, you'll want it ADVERTISED as much as possible BY ANY MEANS.

P
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
John usually sends me flyers for his oil and gas auctions. When he does I will scan them onto this page for referance. Happy 4th of July!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Just because people on this site aren't aware of an auction isn't any indication that your going to get a steal of a deal. 99% of the time I go to the local, unknown auctions, there is always someone, sometimes pickers, antique dealers, or just some one caught up in the moment, but the majority of the time the items go for way more than the folks on this site would consider paying. It all boils down to how bad do you want it and what your willing to pay.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Paul when did I ever say that I thought I was the only one who knew about the ball auction?

If you read any of my post I never said that there wouldn't be people there interested in the stuff just as much as anyone here I only said there's less of a chance 6, 8 or maybe 10 heavy hitter would know about it if it wasn't posted here and a guy could sneak away with a couple good buys but since it is posted here its unlikely for a small timer to do so now.

Searching for auctions is half the fun so why spoon feed them to people. If I search for something, and find an awesome piece or auction why am I going to post it here to potentially gain the attention of others to bid on it too and drive the price up that doesn't make sense in the world of business or collecting.

So please continue to get your panties in a bunch and interpret my words any way you would like and ill continue to stand my ground with my opinion but then again it's only MY OPINION (the caps are for you Dick since you like to use them).

Jerry

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With all due respect to everybody here , all the big hitters here on this website would already know about this auction, they are professionals & make it there job to know of auctions of this magnitude or anything else big thats going on.....However if you get technical the heavyweights are not here, they are to busy making millions & will pay one of us to do there work......

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Here's the reality of 2010, the internet has made the world a smaller place. Ebay, craigslist, auction search engines, hobby chat forums, and yes even reality tv have evolved to the point that the public pretty much understands petro related items are hot.

You can get upset and wish it was 1970 again but you cannot turn the clock back on technology. I would suggest that a person look at it more positively and realize with advent of technology all of our collections have probably risen in value. It's a double edged sword.

In my experience, auctions typically have been the least effective means of obtaining petro stuff at bargain prices anyway. And..the people overpaying at auctions are not usually 'heavy hitters' or oldgas members, it's usually farmer Joe from the next county over that has no clue what the item is really worth. I never fear educated/informed bidders at an auction..it's the fringe people that seem to drive stuff through the roof. There is no substitute for developing and following up on your own leads anyway.

In regards to the American Pickers show, I'm not confident they are ruining the hobby like some suggest. I have yet to see them significantly overpay for anything petro related. They educate their sellers that they are going to resell their item for a profit and therefore are not going to overpay for an item. What most probably don't like is that common folk are getting an education of the final valuation of some of their stuff. As a buyer you must educate them like the pickers do about the difference between picking price and full blown retail.

And...my final thought, in regard to auctions, for whatever reason I usually think about the seller. Here is someone selling off their stuff for retirement or maybe trying to scrape up some money for some difficulties they are going through. Or... a widow selling off her husband's lifelong collection. Even though I like a bargain deep inside I hope they do well because the reality is that most of here will one day be in that position. On that day gotta believe we hope the auction is filled with deep pocket buyers.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
In Jerry's defense, I think we have all thought "dang, I wish no one knew about this auction, or this little country swap"....it'd be great to be the proverbial fox in the chicken coop sometimes, but I can't ever remember in 10-12 years of buying, being the ONLY knowledgeable buyer at an auction. I've been to a few where there was just a couple of us, and we got a few deals, but we kept each other honest....

As far as this sale goes, John did about 8 of the Vic's auctions, plus many more antique auctions of his own. That equates to him having an ample mailing list for the South Central Region that would be sufficient enough to bring strong prices on any petro related stuff. Heck, there's enough buyers JUST IN OKLAHOMA to keep this stuff from falling through the cracks.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
When is the last time you went to an auction and you were the only one there?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't believe i just sat here and read this topic.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Word

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I generally believe in not tipping your hand or keeping your mouth shut when you get a lead for anything but in this case (as Seth alluded to) John has a formidable mail list and once was a very "hot" petrolania auction house doing several sales per year. There is no secrets regarding this one.

More than anything the economy and the fact that Iowa is 2 weeks later may keep the prices down a little.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved