Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sunday I took a ride around town and noticed
that the BP station is right next to the lake which is one of our water supplies.
None of this stuff there.The tanks there would be under water level of the lake.
The other Exxon stations do not have these units ..and are all old lots.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Remediation stations are brought in and set up as needed. That's why most are trailers. I have seen some brought in and used for a few weeks, and others set up nearly permanant as small buildings for years.

The lack on one onsite is a good thing. Means no contaminants have been detected underground.
Only a very small percentage of our stations have these.

jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Gaspedler.
Do they go out and drill and test for contaminates at every station?
Is there a well to periodically check, then if detected they set up the trailer?

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In Indiana they drill multiple test wells on every station lot. Most are marked with a lid that says Monitor well. Has a triangle on it. I have seen a few older ones that don't have the markings on them.
If contaminants are found in the water, they bring in a unit to clean it up. Gasoline contains numerous chemicals, and different chemicals require different process's to remove.
I am not sure about other states requirements.

The Federal EPA Guidelines for testing is once every three years. Here is a link to that info. It is a PDF file. http://www.epa.gov/swerust1/fedlaws/Inspection%20Final%20GL%204-24-07.pdf

Indiana's IDEM (Indiana Dept. of Environmental Management) has a huge website that even includes all the tanks in the state of Indiana that have been reported to leak. Their website: http://www.in.gov/idem/programs/land/ust/index.html

Indiana calls it the UST program (Underground Storage Tank).
In Georgia do a search for EPD GUST program for all their info. (Georgia Underground Storage Tank).

Here is a link to the Federal EPA's website on underground storage tanks. Look on the right for a map with links to your states info. http://www.epa.gov/swerust1/

Other that that, I must admit I don't know a lot about that end. Just that I see this stuff everyday. The trailers come and go on some lots, and when they dig those trenches around a station to connect wells, I cannot get close to the tanks to unload and have to hook extra hoses together to get to the tanks.
Chuck

[This message has been edited by Gaspedler (edited 09-11-2007).]

jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I noticed the wells at this Exxon yesterday....they are all over the end of the lot with the trailer...5 in total.
One looks to be in the Right Of Way on the side of the HWY. As I rode through I saw white caps w/ black triangles in the center.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
T
T
Gaspeddler, and all, I'm familiar with the State of Georgia's marker's for test wells. They look very much like the one you are showing. I worked for a Delco-Remy plant in Albany with the Environmental Dept. for twenty years before they closed the plant. We had three test wells around the plant, and always passed thankfully. After the plant closed we "capped" the wells with a lockable device and placed that type marker on them for future testing. The company, whomever they are now, will have to pay a contractor to monitor these wells annually for twenty years after closure, reporting to the state. The battery plant I was transferred to is another story.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a picture of a more permanent unit. This one is out back of what was an old Bonded Oil station, when I first began delivering to it. The station is a C store now, but originally it was a porcelain station w/service bays.
I haven't seen this unit run in quite a while.
My curiosity up as to how the process is done, specifically for removing the gas from water. With power lines that big, why would you need a gas engine. (Note the pipe to the right of the PVC, it is an exhaust stack for an engine)

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I bought a thermometer from a retired Richfield bulk plant & station operator. They told me when performing inventory checks they would drop the thremometer into the tanks to check temp for expansion and there was a chart to calculate their inventory with the temperature. The thermometer housing is made of brass and scale is 0 F to 240 F.

Wayne
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved