Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#19497 Sun Mar 02 2008 10:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think with the way the economy is and housing market $60000 is a gamble especially if the economy gets worst and we end up in a recession. May definatly go down in price.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#19498 Sun Mar 02 2008 11:37 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
There are way worse investments than $60K for this sign. Sure, the current owner would be hard-pressed to get close to his investment out of it IF he had to sell it today, BUT...he has something tangible to enjoy and something unique to talk about.
BTW...I can assure you a guy that spends $60K on a gas sign isn't looking at it as an investment, they are looking at it as nothing more than a toy to show off, which, in the same situation I would do the exact same.

P.S. For anyone that is wondering, we ARE in a recession. Ask a small-biz owner, not a politician....we've been in one since 4th Quarter of '07. Most recessions are more than 1/2 over before they are "called".

#19499 Sun Mar 02 2008 11:56 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Whoever can afford this money for a collectible is completely insulated from the economy.

Chad Haas
Chief Gearhead
VAULT�
12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 300
Beaverton, OR 97005-1687
http://www.vaultgarage.com
http://www.facebook.com/VaultGarage
#19500 Mon Mar 03 2008 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gee Seth, You suspect this sign went to Louisiana and not to the coast? I didn't know Louisiana was a land lock state......I guess the Gulf of Mexico is a pond....just poking a little fun at you...I am still waiting on your call.
If this sign did go to Louisiana and to the collector that I suspect I can say this. Money is not a problem and it was not for braggin'. He just wanted it and loves the hobby. He is also a very nice guy.

------------------
Paddy
WTB Billups, Ride with Rose, Spar, Canal, Gulf Coast, and Galtex gas and Oil related items.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
#19501 Mon Mar 03 2008 07:34 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Touche' Paddy! (YOU KNEW WHAT I MEANT, YOU POT-STIRRER )

#19502 Mon Mar 03 2008 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The gas and oil collectables market is similar to other fields of collectables. I have a friend that has been a major player in duck decoys for many decades. Many times what is going on with trends and pricing in our field is pretty much mirrored with what he does. He gave me some advise many years ago when I started collecting gas and oil. Save up your money and buy the better stuff, let the lesser stuff go. The long money is on items that present well and the lesser stuff has the tendency to decrease in value over time.

#19503 Mon Mar 03 2008 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The only pot that I will stir is some fine seafood gumbo......As most of you that know and have meet me I always try to get along with everyone and if I don't have nothing nice to say about someone, then I don't say nothing at all.....except when it comes to you Seth(LOL)....just kidding Seth, just kidding....

WTB NICE HARBOR SIGN CHEAP!!!!!

------------------
Paddy
WTB Billups, Ride with Rose, Spar, Canal, Gulf Coast, and Galtex gas and Oil related items.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
#19504 Mon Mar 03 2008 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Paddy,
Mr. Little said he still had a few repros left.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#19505 Mon Mar 03 2008 05:51 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
No disrespect to Seth(who I respect and admire).....but I gotta disagree about us "already being in a recession"
I am a small business owner(auto body shop), and I'm currently booked a month+ ahead(behind? ).
Business(especially retail) fluctates....just because some folks are slow is no proof this country is in a recession. What WILL drive us into recession is if everybody listens to the evening news and BELIEVES the gloom and doom as FACT. It's an election year, folks, and the media as well as the politicians and special interest groups have an agenda. Read into that what you will...
Kinda reminds me of "global warming".....

What this has to do with a record sign sale, I don't know... My apologies for derailing the thread

#19506 Mon Mar 03 2008 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Work last year was Slow & the start of this year is S l o w e r in S. Calif. I agree we are in a recession.

#19507 Mon Mar 03 2008 08:07 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The root word to recession is recess.......

#19508 Mon Mar 03 2008 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Someone with money to spend at this time might not necessarily be "insulated" from the economy. It all depends on the cycle and phase of your current industry. For instance, the mining industry is pretty much countercyclical, doing well when the majority of the economy is doing poorly and energy prices and material are up. The auto body business is probably on more of a yearly cycle than a long-term one, spiking in the winter when accidents increase. When people need a body shop, they're going to one, recession or not. Obviously things like construction will follow along pretty closely with the rest of the economy. They're volatile, and people will refrain from doing home projects based on the general economic cycle.

Wes

#19509 Mon Mar 03 2008 09:21 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hey Paddy....I suspected the Harbor was going to you when Seth said it's new home was in Louisiana. Was worried you were going to have to dig up ALOT of mason jars for that one (hehe). Did you get $$$ back on the Enarco???

#19510 Mon Mar 03 2008 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joe i talked to Miles yesterday but it wasn't about signs. The mason jars are still buried in the field. I took the money out of the mattress for Set's auction and Dan's last Friday. Still got a few shows to go to. Yes Dave, I got my money back on that sign....thanks for the phone call and giving your advice....I have dealt with that dealer in the past and is very honest. He told me up front that he did not know if it was a repop or the real deal, and if I found that if it was a repop he would refund my money....It was nice to get back to that part of Louisiana. The land of sugar cane, rice fields and crawfish ponds...OBTW for lunch the oyster Po-Boy (hoagie, sub, bomber) and dem mudbugs (crawfish)was to die for! Just wish Dixie beer was still in business to wash it all down (Katrina took care of them)!
OBTW the steaks are on you this July in Bama!....did I wander off the topic????

------------------
Paddy

[This message has been edited by texaspelican (edited 03-03-2008).]

Paddy
#19511 Mon Mar 03 2008 10:10 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Paddy.. sounds like you been getting fed somewhere between New Iberia and the birth place of the Texas Company.....

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved