M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
absolutely_indian

http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/Advert...d=p3911.c0.m282

absolutely #%%#%#%!!!@!@!@!@!!!! more like it

I didnt know they took 1 gallon cans and radiator shields and made them into porcelain signs....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MARK DID YOU SEE THE PICKWICK GREYHOUND KEYHOLE SIGN, D@MM I REALLY LIKE THAT SIGN,VERY COOL! SO WHATS THE DEAL WITH THIS GUY ,OTHER THAN HIS PRICES ,IS THE SOCONY A FAKE TOO?

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Chris
Do you see a maker mark on any of those signs?

Along with his Indian items he just happens to have nothing but porcelain only, no grommets, rusty backed, all "major" label signs-Rolex, Texaco, Coke etc?
No painted signs? No non "brand name" or "local in India" signs?

I wouldnt touch any of those signs.

I've seen that pickwick before, cant remember if repo or not.

Someone can chime in on the SOCONY meduim sign but my guess is fake.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To me every time I see a porcelain sign with a rusty back, a "red flag" is raised. The backside was the protected side, it should for the most part always be the better side. I have seen them with small chips that became rusty, but not the whole thing. Vintage and antique signs, that I have seen and read about (a lot of you deal in signs and see a lot more than I do) the process ensured that a "full measure" of porcelain was used on both the front and back. Some of the fakes I have seen in antique stores, have a porcelain front, but bare metal back. Saves money and gives a rusty back.

According to the "Encyclopedia of Porcelain Enamel Advertising" by Michael Bruner 2nd edition 1999, very old porcelain signs can and will have many small spots where there is no porcelain. "Some signs may have over a hundred of these small spots. This would indicate a sign of pre-1930 vintage, as manufactures used methods that eliminated most of these spots after that time. This technique is for signs with the advertising only one one side."

Chris, as I said before I'm still a rank novice when it comes to signs, so I do what you are doing asking questions here and I picked up a few books that deal with signs. I mentioned Mr. Bruner's book, I also use "A Collectors Guide to Porcelain Enamel Advertising Signs with Prices" by Bob Alexander 1990 and Richard Amistadi's book "Amistadi's Antique Advertising -- Gas, Oil and Automotive Signs Volume One" 2005.

Each one of us has to decide for them self if an item is real or fake. But making a decision with all help possible, makes a mistake a lot less painful, IMO.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The Festival butter cookies tin on the guy's store was sold either at KMart or Aldis, and may still be available there.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FAKE! FAKE! FAKE ! Any thing from India or Argentina

Just a big red flag. Stay away.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Believe me and the rest of these guys! Anything this guy has is fake. I have personally seen one of them up close and they are very easy to distinguish if you can hold one of them!
Like nbkz7w8 says, why is it that he never has any real common or ordinary signs? Duh! Because they won't provoke a bid and this guy needs the cash to operate! NEVER buy from him and someday we'll shut him down!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved