Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#196978 Sat Jul 31 2010 01:47 PM
W
OP Offline
W
We've loved vintage everything for years (have vintage airstreams, coke machines, M&S 80 and a neptune pump, but just added this pump to our collection, but it needs a lot of work.

From what the seller knew about it (he has a number of pumps and seems to know what he's doing judging on the work he's done) its a Gilbert & Barker 176 or 177.

What I do know is that the skins are very rough. I may take the time and rework the original skins, but wondering if the reproduction skins have the details that the original did, or if they are just rolled sheet metal without the stamped areas.

There are a few openings I'm not sure how to address. I know the bottom opening has a cover which is missing. The odd shaped hole with the round part at the bottom appears to be some type of access door that is missing, and near that the car/fill bracket if I'm piecing this together right (am I?)

Not sure on the 2nd picture the odd shaped slot and hole near the base of the glass, any help on these issues are much appreciated.

Lastly, I believe the mount inside for the pump handle is broken off the pump. I'm not too concerned about that since I'm sure I can make a bracket of some type to replace it, but does anyone have a photo of how the pump handle connects inside?

Thanks again, sorry if any of these are questions you answer all too frequently, I've tried searching and reading as much as possible and already learned so much from the forums here.

-Scott

IMG_6307.jpg IMG_6308.jpg IMG_6309.jpg IMG_6310.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
wagoranson #196983 Sat Jul 31 2010 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott, welcome to the site. Always nice to have another member from WA State join our little group. Where are you located in "The Evergreen State"? Others here will have to answer your questions as I am not up on my pumps.

Richard (gatorgaspumps) lives in the Walla Walla area and he restores a number of pumps. He can answer quite a few pump questions and depending on where you live, might not be too far from you. His email is gator@bmi.net or if you go to "user list" and go to the "G's" you will find his profile (any member's profile) and can send him a PM (personal message) through this site.

If you don't have Jack Sim's book(s), you just might want to contact him. I'm sure he has info on your pump on his website, also.

Jack's website and email addresses are;

http://petrolianacollectibles.com
jhsim@swbell.net

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #196984 Sat Jul 31 2010 02:27 PM
Welcome to oldgas!

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

wagoranson #196985 Sat Jul 31 2010 02:29 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I'll start off here.
First off I think you have a Gilbert & Barker T-176. The difference is basically the cylinder size between the 176 and 177
(I think). Also there is several variations of this model as to where the handle is located and short and tall access door.
from your pictures it looks as though your sheet metal is definitly saveable and you should probably go that route. The repro skins do not have any feature ridges or formed edges. The sheet metal on these pumps is very heavy and will be a challenge if they have major dents.
Used metal shows up once in a while (ask around) and parts pumps also come along.
Before Jack comes along and tells you you need to buy his book. you need to buy Jacks book.
(your welcome Jack)

ROD [Mich.]
Bob Richards #196986 Sat Jul 31 2010 02:32 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Bob! We're located in Yakima, over on the dry side of the state. I appreciate it, there is an amazing amount of info here. I'll send him a note!

wagoranson #196988 Sat Jul 31 2010 02:37 PM
W
OP Offline
W
I have a guy that has done body work for us before on projects coming by to see what he can do. Its pretty thick stuff as you stated. If the new stuff doesn't have the details I'd be inclined to reuse the old if we can get it straight enough. Few things that have been hacked up but can be repaired I think. One of the legs by the bottom access door was cut off the panel, but is still there, needs to be welded/repaired. On one half the main panel, the bottom 1" or so is rusted completely away, so will need to be patched.

It is covered with dents that appear to be from the inside, almost looks like golfball size dings that are pressed out, and its pretty wavy. I look forward to what he has to say.

This was an early birthday gift from my wife, but Jack's book has been added to the rest of my birthday list!

Thanks Ryan and Rod! The short vs long door, is that referring to the opening in the last photo? If so I'd figure ours is a short door. I think that its something I can easily make, think the hardest part will be finding the hinges.

Last edited by wagoranson; Sat Jul 31 2010 02:39 PM.
wagoranson #196999 Sat Jul 31 2010 05:03 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This was my first visible also. Your pump is a 176.

Pump guys like DB would have jumped on this and answered your question right away, but they are probably all on their way to Iowa Gas.

The 176 was a eye measure, hand operated, visible pump. There were at least four versions counting the square one.
The 177 had adjustable stops, and was hand operated.

Some of the 176 literature I have can be seen at this address:

http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/gb%20176.htm

Here is the address for 176 parts:

http://www.gaspumpheaven.com/shop/home.php?cat=265

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Jul 31 2010 05:05 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #197037 Sat Jul 31 2010 08:33 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Welcome to the site. I do have some of the parts you need for your pump. I'll try to get down to the barn tomorrow and check. I'm in Wheat harvest now and leave the house about 6:00 AM and usually get back by 8:30 PM, but should have time to check. Richard

gatorgaspumps #197047 Sat Jul 31 2010 09:22 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the great welcome, the good news is I did get my buddy to sign on the redo the skins, lot of welding/replacing areas at the bottom inch, and lots of small dents to work, but he's a street rodder and does great work.

Next step is to get the skins off, lots of rusty bolts!

For those that have restored these, do you paint the skins off and install them, or install then paint. Noticed many of the restoration photos appear to have the fasteners painted to match exactly with no paint breaks. Any suggestions on which is better? I had planned on painting them seperate but didn't want to assume. Thanks for checking Richard, I appreciate it!

wagoranson #197060 Sun Aug 01 2010 05:40 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
When you start on your pump the #1 thing before you lay down the final coat is to test fit- test fit- test fit.
I'm working on the same pump with a replacement set of skins. Not too long ago I had the bottom half together and apart about six times in one day. I plan to paint and assemble.

ROD [Mich.]
r49th #197110 Sun Aug 01 2010 03:59 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Rod, pump is coming apart tomorrow so the skins can start getting rolled out. I'll have him get them blocked and bring them home to test fit and make sure it works before he does any further work. I'd really like to paint then install.

I have been looking on the for sale/trade, is there a means of searching that returns results? Trying to find a few parts before going reproduction, the top lid/bonnett, conduit, gallon indicators and fill pipe w/cap. Have been reading through each ad but wondering if there is an easier way.

wagoranson #197111 Sun Aug 01 2010 04:05 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Here are our other pumps/machine

M&S80 needs to get buffed out, doors need their paint coat (white is just primer) but doors will be white. Going to finish this one while the other is out for body work, its been waiting there for paint for 5 years frown

Neptune 855 in Poly out by our pool area

And our Vendo 63 Coke machine.

After a lot of consideration I think I've settled on doing this visible in Gulf, since its colors we don't have yet.

IMG_6324.jpg IMG_6320.jpg IMG_6322.jpg
wagoranson #197112 Sun Aug 01 2010 04:05 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
There is a search button at the top of this page, click in a word and go from there.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #197175 Sun Aug 01 2010 09:14 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Jack, figured it out, I just wasn't using the right keywords.

wagoranson #197281 Mon Aug 02 2010 07:29 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Before I did anything with it I thought I'd better ask. I presumed this was something someone added around it due to it missing glass, but have seen others with some type diamond mesh. Is this some type of add on I shouldn't feel bad about tossing? It is just bent around, not welded, overlaps and was outside the rods on the top.

PIC-0380.jpg
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved