Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#196509 Wed Jul 28 2010 04:55 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thermometer is no longer for sale, it is a possible Repop. Sorry guys If it is, didn't know it.

Barry

Last edited by bmclemore; Wed Jul 28 2010 07:26 PM.

Barry
P
P
post a picture, i'll let you know if repopped or not.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here's a link to another thread with pictures, It's the donasco. Thanks

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=196315#Post196315

Barry
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
your thermometer is made by danasco. donasco made a variety of advertising thermometers dating back to the 1940's. most of you guys should be familiar with some of their more common 26in X 10in thermometers featuring rc cola, dr pepper, barqs rootbeer. the coke bottle thermometer can be found in 12 or so different versions and they have used it over the last 80 years for the purpase of advertising. were the licensing rights purchase by donasco and then sold to the mass public through retail chains for $6.99.....i am not sure??? was donasco contracted by coca cola to make 10,000 units to be handed out to vendors, and customers selleng coke products??? this is an extrememly common thermometer, and because it can be confused with the other versions of the same thermomter; this is the reason people mistake it for a reproduction!!! i dont believe this thermometer was intended to be sold in kmart. this thermomter was made in the usa. the tab on the top is more expensive to incorporate into the sign than drilling a hole in the top!!!! this is just my opinion and would love to hear any opposition.........can anyone teach me different????

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If the thirst knows no season was made in canada it could be an org. but petrettl's 11th edition only lists two version and they are from canada

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I WAS LEAD TO BELIEVE THAT THE ROBERTSON VERSION WAS THE ORIGINAL VERSION MADE IN THE 50'S AND 60'S. KEEP IN MIND THAT IT'S AN A.C.L. LABELED BOTTLE NOT AN EMBOSSED. A.C.L. BOTTLES WERE INTRO'D AROUND 1955-56 AND REPLACED EMBOSSED BOTTLES COMPLETELY BY THE EARLY 60'S OVERALL.

I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT WHILE THE DONASCO VERSION IS NOT SO MUCH A REPRO, BUT A NEWER VERSION (70'S-80'S) OF THE ROBERTSON ORIGINAL. ANY DONASCO BOTTLE THERMOMETER I'VE SEEN IS ALWAYS PRACTICALLY MINT. I HAVE SEVERAL THAT I BOUGHT BACK IN THE EARLY 80'S IN THEIR ORIGINAL BOX.

THE THERMOMETER IN QUESTION DOES NOT EVEN SHOW UP IN THE PETRETTI 12th EDITION UNDER THERMOMETERS (ROBERTSON OR DONASCO). I ALSO BROWSED THRU 4 EDITIONS OF THE B.J. SUMMERS GUIDES AND IT DOES NOT SHOW UP THERE EITHER....MAKES YA WONDER.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
here are the two that I have had and sold, they are the only two versions of the Coca Cola silhouette PORCELAIN thermometer I know of and they are both Canadian ST 39 & 41 ( St. Thomas Metal signs ) Ontario Canada.

Coke Silouette thermometer professionaly restored.JPG Coca Cola Silouette thermometer green one.JPG

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I believe the Donasco thermometer in question is in Petretti's 11th, page 304, I just found it. Looking at the picture with a magnifying glass all the markings and degree increments are the same as the thermometer that was up for sale. In the book it's listed as 1950's. What do you guys think?

Item number in Petretti's 11th is PTH022.001
It is not the silhouette girl thermometer.

Last edited by bmclemore; Mon Aug 02 2010 07:05 PM.

Barry
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Barry, what is the little number at the bottom of the Celsius side read?

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a Donasco Coke thermometer also, but mine only has the temps in Fahrenheit.

For what I paid for it, figured it was a repop, plus have be told that Donasco thermometers were made in the late 60s. The thermometer came loose so I had to re-epoxy it in place.

How can one tell, if a thermometer is original?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: MetroPetro
Barry, what is the little number at the bottom of the Celsius side read?

54 Whoa! I didn't notice that before! That might be the year? Good eyes MetroPetro

Barry
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ACL's were introduced in 1934 (or were you specifically referring to Coke using ACL's beg. in the 50's?)

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here's a picture of the number

Barry
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On a Donasco, that is some sort of reference number, not a date. I have several dated Barq's Donasco's from the 50's and 60's that have various numbers (45,47) in that same area. One clue might be to ascertain when Celcius appeared on them.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
So..would they put "reference numbers" on repops?

Barry
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved