Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197331 Tue Aug 03 2010 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
OK here goes the hokey question. Does anybody out there have a hercules metal lense? I would like to pay for a stencil or exact pattern of it as I would like to make one for a visible in the backyard.

Kris Strong
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Theres one on Ebay.

Looking for Tydol-Veedol-Flying A items, especially globes.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Yeah I know thanks. Offered the guy money to make a template and his response was buy it and you can do what you want iwth it. Kind of made me laugh. Kind of:( Thanks for the help though

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How will you be able to tell the difference between your homemade one and the real deal after it sits outside for a few years? Will it be marked as a reproduction?

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well for one this is for my visible not for real production. Have way too much going on to try to start making and selling signs. If someone was concerned I would stamp it reproduction but as I said it's for one of my visibles not for Ebay. Just can't afford to buy an original. Yes you are right that how many shady guys let something "age" in the backyard and then it's an authentic antique. I do hate that and that's why they sell their ***** on Ebay only so there is no real up close inspection and scrutiny.

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Right now it is for your visible. But if something happened to you, would your family or whomever remember it was something you had made? Or would it be sold to some poor sucker as an original?

In past years we here have heard from some, saying they aren't going to mark an item they had made. Their reason; once they are gone they could care less if someone gets screwed over.

If it is a repop or a fantasy item and it isn't marked, how does anyone know that it isn't original? Just something to think about.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I actually don't really care what anybody thinks because if they knew me they would understand it is for ME period. My wife is under strict instructions to give all my stuff to my kids and just cash in on the insurance money. Hopefully I will live a lot longer and in 40 years someone can say "Hey I wonder if those hercules lenses for sale are the lenses that so and so made 40 years ago." Of course then they would just be antique repops.:)

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Exactly why repops, remakes, anything not authentic, are a problem today

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hello Bob, The point you raise is interesting about the "what if" senario and family members dispersing a collection they may know little or nothing about.

This my friend is a double edge sword!

There is also the possibility that they (family members or whomever) will sell off the more valuable original items in a collection for far less than market value.
How many serious collectors can honestly say they haven't fantasized about that happening. (and it does happen)

As far a getting ripped off on a re-pop or doctored up sign, I think it is a "CHARACTER BUILDER" You know like "FOOL ME ONCE"
It taught me to ASK QUESTIONS to the sellers on ebay and if I don't get a good answer with a guaranty I don't bid....

I looked at the listing (320567813585) for the punch globe and would agree the guys response to SFG was kind of funny:} but then again so is SFG!! LOL!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Stamp the date (2010) on it somewhere and you'd be fine.

I do agree that unmarked reproduction pieces hurt the hobby, regardless of your intentions at the time of making it...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Online Content
Originally Posted By: DCpate
Stamp the date (2010) on it somewhere and you'd be fine.

I do agree that unmarked reproduction pieces hurt the hobby, regardless of your intentions at the time of making it...

There was a bunch of stuff at Iowa that was no doubt repro, being sold as original. Kinda scary, going to be real bad in another 10-20 years.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I took a break from this post, because in the past I have been "chastised" for some of my comments and the way I expressed them.

I can not understand, those who are active members in this hobby who either make or give excuse to those who make unmarked repops/fantasy items. Our hobby is based on the originality of it's items.

If one is truly a collector, how can they give excuse to unmarked repops and fantasy items?

I have been a member here for over 5 years now, time really does fly. I started collecting gas and oil items over 45 years ago. (Still have that first can)

The membership at Oldgas, during that 5+ years I have been here, has had this conversation many, many times. And many more times before I joined. This topic doesn't seem to come up as often, as it seems it did a few years ago,thankfully. In that 5 years I have not heard 1 explanation that made any sense at all, as to why we as "Gas and Oil" Collectors should embrace unmarked repops and fantasy items?

We as a group should be doing everything we can to expose them, not make them ourselves. Or atleast that is my opinion.

If you go back in the archives, most collectors who have voice an opinion on this given subject have expressed similar opinions.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Online Content
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards

I can not understand, those who are active members in this hobby who either make or give excuse to those who make unmarked repops/fantasy items. Our hobby is based on the originality of it's items.

I couldnt agree more, items that are not dated, are done so to fool people in the future. What will it hurt to put a date somewhere on a reproduced item? Is it going to make the item worth a dollar less? Probably not.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you make this, after you punch all the Holes to make the Logo. Stamp the Year "Repro 2010" at the Bottom of the tin lense. It would take you about 1 Minute to do and would prevent any problems years down the Road.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELL SAID Bob, I will go a step further and say all that ***** belongs in Ocean State Job Lot, 5 & 10, Dollar Stores etc. It Should not even be given a second look from collectors of ORIGINAL Gas & Oil Collectibles, If you want those cheasy little repops, buy them and talk about them in those chat rooms. They really should be as far away from OLDGAS as possible.

I'm done, I'm going for a swim now.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved