Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19975 Tue Nov 07 2000 09:52 AM
J
jeakle4 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have a Mobilgas Shield sign from a station, but it is not a familiar design to me. I have not been able to locate it in any publications, and was hoping for a little assistance.

It is a large double sided porcelain sign with both the Pegasus horse, and the text Mobilgas. Also, it has a white star with a blue circle surrounding it toward the bottom center of the sign. The only dates I can find are at the bottom of the sign and read R33.(I believe that there is a letter before the R, but most of it is missing, it may be "N".

Any ideas when this sign was used and ideas on value? I can email photos if you need them. Thank you.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#19976 Tue Nov 07 2000 05:44 PM
Online Cool
An picture of the sign would really help. Posting images on this forum is easy if the image is uploaded to a server somewhere. An explanation of the UBB code shows how it is done. If you don't have access to server space with your Internet provider, email the image to me and I'll add it to your message. admin@oldgas.com

Mobilgas was shortened to Mobil in 1962. The brand Mobilgas together with the Pegasus horse began appearing in the early 1930's.

Jim

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#19977 Wed Nov 08 2000 03:32 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Your sign is from White Star Refining from Detroit MI. The years of production for this sign were 1933-1946. According to Henderson's Guide to Gas Station Logos, "former White Star outlets used a special Mobilgas shield sign with a small blue circle and white star at the bottom until aftr WWII."

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved